Universal Broadband

Texsox

The Link

By Caren Bohan

ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico (Reuters) - President Bush on Friday proposed 2007 as the goal for universal availability of high-speed Internet access to keep America competitive and innovative.

Speaking at length on the subject for the first time since August 2002, Bush discussed broadband while highlighting home ownership in the critical state of New Mexico -- a state he narrowly lost in the 2000 presidential election.

"We ought to have universal, affordable access to broadband technology by the year 2007," Bush said. "And then we ought to make sure as soon as possible thereafter consumers have plenty of choices."

"It's important that we stay on the cutting edge of technological change, and one way to do so is to have a bold plan for broadband," he said. Bush did not elaborate on how he would accomplish the 2007 goal.

More if you follow the link

Does that mean I can get this universal broadband on my vaction to Mars?  :D

hey witesoxfan, I noticed that quote by frank in your sig, when did he say that? I must have missed it because that's an awesome quote.

Since he's not around right now, I'll answer this real fast. It's from an article on Chisox.com....

Smiles all around for Thomas

Says rift with Guillen was 'overblown'

By Barry M. Bloom / MLB.com

PEORIA, Ariz. -- An anticipated tense spring between Frank Thomas and Ozzie Guillen hasn't come to pass. In fact, the former White Sox teammates have been downright jovial.

This past November, after Guillen was hired as the team's new manager, he seemed to call out Thomas to act like the team leader his stature and all his 35 years on earth warrants. Everyone waited for the fireworks. So far, it's just been harmony and good cheer.

"I think it was overblown," Thomas said. "We had a couple of incidents when we played together in the early '90s. I was a young kid. I was a little more volatile. Both of us have changed. We've both matured. We don't have a problem. I went to war many, many nights with Ozzie Guillen. I know what he's about. He's definitely about winning. He cares."

The Big Hurt has been walking around the plush clubhouse at Tucson Electric Park with a big smile on his face. It may be just a snap shot, but in other springs, he has been dour and recalcitrant, brooding over his contract or some other perceived slight.

"He is a leader. He's my leader," said Guillen, the shortstop who played with Thomas from 1990 to 1997. "A lot of kids are going to come to him. He's doing a great job right now. I respect Frank the way he should be respected. I don't think he's had that in the past."

Thomas credits the chipper attitude to none other than Charles Barkley, the former National Basketball Association star and fellow Auburn alum who had his No. 34 retired by the Phoenix Suns on Saturday night.

"He's one of my favorite people," Thomas said. "He told me to lighten up. To have some fun."

Thomas has apparently taken the advice to heart. The two play golf at least once an offseason and as they ride from hole to hole, Thomas has listened to life according to Charles, who "has a terrible (golf) swing," Thomas said with a chuckle.

Barkley was on the outs with the Suns and their managing general partner Jerry Colangelo, who also is a partner in the Arizona Diamondbacks. The ice thawed last year and Saturday night at America West Arena in downtown Phoenix, they raised Barkley's number and mug to the rafters in what is called the "Ring of Honor" while a sellout crowd stood and chanted.

All the feuding wasn't worth it, Barkley said. Despite his good years as a Philadelphia 76er, Barkley added that he wants to go into basketball's Hall of Fame as a Sun. Barkley makes his home in Phoenix and feels like an integral part of the community.

"I've thought hard about it for the last year. If the estrangement hadn't ended I could've never gone in as Sun," Barkley said on Saturday night. "Now that's what I want."

Barkley played only four years in Phoenix and once went as far as the NBA Finals (1992-93) where the Suns lost to Michael Jordan's Chicago Bulls.

He told Thomas to enjoy his time as a professional athlete.

"It goes by quick," said Barkley, who is now an NBA television analyst and social commentator. "The basketball years were the best part of my life. But what I did then, set me up for what I'm doing now. You've got to have fun at it and not worry so much about what you say. The media has to realize that it's only your opinion and you're entitled to your opinion. That doesn't mean you're always right."

Thomas is starting his 14th Major League season, all with the White Sox. He is as much a fixture on Chicago's south side as Minnie Minoso, Carlton Fisk and Bill Veeck. He has a lifetime batting average of .310 and 418 home runs, including 42 last season.

Like Barkley, Thomas doesn't have the championship ring. But his career still has Hall of Famer stamped all over it. Barkley said he realized a long time ago that his career was not about winning championships.

"People still kid me about not getting the ring, but it was never about that," Barkley said. "It was about getting to the point in my life where I care about other human beings and the things they go through -- poverty, you know. I could die tomorrow and if God would give me 15 seconds before I go I'd thank him because I've had a great life."

Likewise, Thomas said he realized that it's not about contracts and personality clashes. He has begun to cherish the fact that so far he has spent his working lifetime with the same team.

"Life's not fair," he said. "I've been fortunate to play this long -- on the same team and at this level. My goal is to retire here."