MORE physical trouble for Prior

Not good news for Cubbie fans

from sports.yahoo.com

News

Mark Prior admits that he expects to miss his first scheduled start of the season. "I'm not happy about it," the Cubs' right-hander told the team's web site on Monday after throwing 35 pitches off a mound and another 15 on flat ground. "I'm disappointed. It's something I have to deal with and I can't really dwell on it. I've got to look ahead and set my sights on trying to get back as soon as I can and, when I get back, I'll be back." Monday's session left Prior fatigued, but he didn't experience any problems with the inflamed right Achilles' tendon that sidelined him earlier this spring. His new target timeframe is mid-to-late April. "I think right now we're hoping it's the first homestand, I guess, or the end of that first road trip," he said. "That would be the most optimistic date. Probably somewhere in that first homestand where they could skip guys to a certain point, but then they'd need a fifth starter so it's just a matter of if I'm ready for that spot or wait one more time." Prior has not pitched in Cactus League play yet after being shut down on March 1 because of inflammation in his Achilles—a problem that originally bothered him last September.

Views

The Cubbies have stopped just short of saying he'd miss the start of the regular season the past few weeks, but everyone knew this was a likely scenario. The season starts in two weeks and Prior is not close to throwing in a game yet…it doesn't take a nano-technologist to figure out that he's not going to be ready. Don't overreact and allow his fantasy value to drop too low. Even if he misses his first few starts, he could still get 30 starts this season. By the way, if the Cubs need a different fifth starter sometime in the first few weeks, the current favorite is Sergio Mitre because Juan Cruz has really struggled this spring.

If I may take a moment to shine on my fantasy league two team...that f***ing sucks ass.

Now, back to real life.

I was watching SC, and they were talking about some Mitre guy maybe taking his spot until he came back...what happened to Juan Cruz? Hell, if he isn't even their spot starter, give up a solid bat for him. Cruz has a lightning arm.

If I may take a moment to shine on my fantasy league two team...that f***ing sucks ass.

Now, back to real life.

I was watching SC, and they were talking about some Mitre guy maybe taking his spot until he came back...what happened to Juan Cruz?  Hell, if he isn't even their spot starter, give up a solid bat for him.  Cruz has a lightning arm.

Cruz has struggled through spring training and Mitre has been pitching really well. Cruz has great stuff, but he's still too wild and inconsistant with it. Mitre might not have the potential Cruz has, but he throws strikes and is a good prospect (23 yrs. old I think)

Cruz has struggled through spring training and Mitre has been pitching really well. Cruz has great stuff, but he's still too wild and inconsistant with it. Mitre might not have the potential Cruz has, but he throws strikes and is a good prospect (23 yrs. old I think)

I really think the cubs have just tinkered with cruz way to much, if they just gave him a chance to start I think he'd be a solid starter, but hopefully that wont happen, and with priors injury, I think it's the first of many for the flubs starters this year. :fthecubs :fthecubs :fthecubs

Damn. Too bad for Juan. He seems to be a headcase, but if he could get his s*** straightened out, he'd be damn good.

If the Cubs want to give us another starter, I'd be more then happy to(though we don't have any more Matt Karchner's)

His new target timeframe is mid-to-late April.

If Prior is out till late April, without any spring training, it's conceivable it's late May till he is back and pitch 7 innings or so. Losing Prior for possibly two months could actually put the Cubs down in the Pittsburg-Cincinatti area in the standings.

If Prior is out till late April, without any spring training, it's conceivable it's late May till he is back and pitch 7 innings or so.  Losing Prior for possibly two months could actually put the Cubs down in the Pittsburg-Cincinatti area in the standings.

Are you kidding me? I know everyone on here wants the Cubs to suck and all but Prior gone for a month or two doesn't make them as bad as Pittsburgh for crying out loud.

Damn.  Too bad for Juan.  He seems to be a headcase, but if he could get his s*** straightened out, he'd be damn good. 

If the Cubs want to give us another starter, I'd be more then happy to(though we don't have any more Matt Karchner's)

I think you hit it right on the head. Pitching is 90% mental, and they have just robbed this kid of all his confidence. He just needs to be put into the rotation and be left alone. I really get the feeling that the Cubs are going to end up trading this kid for a plug in player, and he will go elsewhere and become a very good pitcher.

I really get the feeling that the Cubs are going to end up trading this kid for a plug in player, and he will go elsewhere and become a very good pitcher.

I don't think so.

The Cubs have given him opportunities to crack the rotation and he's failed.

Simple as that.

You think they wouldn't have rather had him in there than Shawn Estes???

He just doesn't have it mentally - I wouldn't blame that on the Cubs.

Now he's been passed up on the depth chart by Mitre, and there are many young arms coming up to take his spot. They'd be best off to try and get SOMETHING for him now, before his trade value plummets any further.

I don't think so.

Simple as that.

Now he's been passed up on the depth chart by Mitre, and there are many young arms coming up to take his spot. They'd be best off to try and get SOMETHING for him now, before his trade value plummets any further.

I think they way over estimated Estes based on a pitchers ballpark that he had been in the years before. They way overpaid for him, and I would bet they wished they had saved that $3 mil they paid Estes, used Cruz in the rotation, and gotten a reliever or two instead. I really think once someone convinces this kid he is a ML pitcher again, he will put up #2-#3 starter numbers.

Prior will start on the DL from Rotoworld

MESA, Arizona (Ticker) - Chicago Cubs star righthander Mark Prior will start the season on the disabled list, the team announced Tuesday.

Prior, the runner-up in National League Cy Young Award voting last year, has been slowed by an inflamed right Achilles tendon and has not faced hitters this spring. He was expected to start the Cubs' third game of the season April 8.

I don't think so.

Simple as that.

Uh uh!

Dusty (the idiot) prefers veterans over young players, and loves Estes (from his Giants days). That's why Cruz never got his shot.

:fthecubs

Are you kidding me?  I know everyone on here wants the Cubs to suck and all but Prior gone for a month or two doesn't make them as bad as Pittsburgh for crying out loud.

If prior's leg is amputated they still have a decent shot of winning the central. That is what happens when you have the deepest rotation in baseball.

Wishful thought of the day, Priors achilles trouble causes him to throw more with his arm, which causes his arm to take additonal pressure which leads to an arm injury.

Wood's elbow goes out on him again. (the guy throws so many pitches, and his motion is not smooth)

Age catches up to Maddux.

Zambrano and Clement are just average.

Odds of this...I don't want to think about it.

Age catches up to Maddux.

Zambrano and Clement are just average.

Odds of this...I don't want to think about it.

I wish age would catch up to Maddux. The man has won at least 15 games i 16 seasons. Obviously he must be doing something right. Look at Clemens. The guy is 40 years old and is still effective. So is Maddux.

Clement is alittle above average and as Wite said, would be a number 1 on some bad teams. Zambrano average? Your kidding right? ;)

BTW, I don't wanna think it eigher :D :fthecubs

Without "Cy" Prior, the sCrUBS ain't winning dick!

:fthecubs

I don't think the Cubs are trying to win dick. :bang

Dusty (the idiot) prefers veterans over young players, and loves Estes (from his Giants days). That's why Cruz never got his shot.

For starters, Dusty Baker is one of the better managers in the league, especially at getting prepared for each game.

And really, Cruz DID get a shot, and was demoted to the pen. This occurred in 2002. He started in April, was about 0-5 with a 3.25 ERA, lost all confidence, and started to suck ass. I totally think that this kid is better suited somewhere else. I think his one knock is his size. He's 6'2'' and weighs about 155-165. I'm a skinny-ass kid and I'm 5'10'' 150; his forearms have to damn near toothpicks(not that your forearms have anything to do with pitching, I am just suggesting that he is going to look thin as hell).

Another knock on Cruz had got to be his control. In 02, he walked damn near 5.5/9 IP...that is waaaay to high. Due to that many walks, his WHIP was 1.47...you cut those walks in half(I went from 59 to 30) and his WHIP is a solid 1.17. You do that and his K/BB is exactly 2.7(once again, solid). He also had a solid 7.5 K/9IP, and with or without the walks, that is still solid.

If he could get his control figured out, and his head on right, he could be a very good pitcher. Some guys just never get it(see Brett Tomko, and up to last year, Esteban Loaiza)

BTW, Cruz was 3-11 3.98 ERA in 97.3 innings with 9 starts.