What should the Sox do with Schoenweis?

maggsmaggs

What should the Sox do will Schoenweis?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Sox do will Schoenweis?

• Let him be the 4th man in the rotation (he'll figure it out)
    • Let Cotts take over for him (Wright to 4)
    • Let Rauch take over for him (Wright to 4)
    • Trade for Kris Benson
    • Trade for another pitcher (suggestions at bottom, please)
    • Other

And don't forget, we gave up a great young pitching prospect for him -- Bittner, who is on the 40 man roster of the Angels, don't know if he made the team or not. But at least we get to pick up Schoeny's salary. Bittner will probably be in AAA this yr, let's watch him.

I don't think he is suffering. I was told that he would make a great bullpen guy. I think we hae our best chance to win when we have those two young guys in the rotation and wright and showy in the pen :headbang

Don't forget Rauch battled Wright for the fifth spot and he did not outperform him. Wright has pitched very well this ST. He has certainly earned the spot and looks to repeat his success similarily done in 2002 (14 wins).

Shoe worries the hell out of me. KW saw sumthin in him, but I don't think too many otha ppl hav. Still I'm willin to giv him an oppurtunity for at least a month startin, but afta that if he's still strugglin call up da guy who's pitchin best in Charlotte, whether it's Rauch, Cotts, Diaz I don't care, they need to earn the right to pitch in our rotation. In a perfect world we would trade for Livan Hernandez but that ain't gonna happen. And there's no way Benson is gonna pitch here either. We just can't afford to hav a $6 million injury prone pitcher on our payroll.

The rumor this morning is that there is a real good chance Sho could start the season in the pen. That leaves the #5 spot to Grilli most likely. I would also think that adds to the possibility of breaking camp with an extra pitcher, if we have Wright and either Cotts or Grilli in the rotation.

The rumor this morning is that there is a real good chance Sho could start the season in the pen.  That leaves the #5 spot to Grilli most likely.  I would also think that adds to the possibility of breaking camp with an extra pitcher, if we have Wright and either Cotts or Grilli in the rotation.

Why Grilli? Where are you seeing this? If I'm reading things right then Cotts could move himself to the lead with a good showing vs KC today. I'm not sure Grilli will even be given another opportunity again if Cotts can step up.

Why Grilli? Where are you seeing this? If I'm reading things right then Cotts could move himself to the lead with a good showing  vs KC today. I'm not sure Grilli will even be given another opportunity again if Cotts can step up.

Grilli has pitched really well this spring. He has had one bad outing, plus he has pitched many more innings than Neal, and is probably more stretched out at this point.

And really it is just a guess on my part. Although I could see Neal making it to get a second lefty in the rotation as well.

I would agree that Cotts is not as stretched out as Grilli. Why? I have no clue. If their plan was to have Cotts start at AAA, which would've made sense, then why wouldn't they build up his innings as spring training progressed.

They're talking about putting Cotts in the pen, and I don't see why that makes sense. Just because they did it that way with Buerhle doesn't mean it will work with everybody. They tried it with Rauch and it was a disaster, setting him back a year.

My first choice would be to trade for someone who can get the job done as a starter. Second choice would be, give Shoeneweis one or two starts to see if he can cut it. If not, demote him to the pen and give somebody else a shot, like Cotts or Rauch or Grilli, whomever is throwing best.

What's most frustrating is, they had Shoeneweis penciled into the rotation all along, when he'd never in his career been very successful as a starter. So they rely on a guy with little track record of success as a starter, and now they're surprised he's not coming through in spring training.

Whatever they thought they "saw" in Shoe has not come to pass, at least thus far.

I would agree that Cotts is not as stretched out as Grilli.  Why?  I have no clue.  If their plan was to have Cotts start at AAA, which would've made sense, then why wouldn't they build up his innings as spring training progressed.

They're talking about putting Cotts in the pen, and I don't see why that makes sense.  Just because they did it that way with Buerhle doesn't mean it will work with everybody.  They tried it with Rauch and it was a disaster, setting him back a year.

My first choice would be to trade for someone who can get the job done as a starter.  Second choice would be, give Shoeneweis one or two starts to see if he can cut it.  If not, demote him to the pen and give somebody else a shot, like Cotts or Rauch or Grilli, whomever is throwing best.

What's most frustrating is, they had Shoeneweis penciled into the rotation all along, when he'd never in his career been very successful as a starter.  So they rely on a guy with little track record of success as a starter, and now they're surprised he's not coming through in spring training.

Whatever they thought they "saw" in Shoe has not come to pass, at least thus far.

Jim,

Good points. I am down here wathing the boys andn will travel to Phoenix this week to take in the tuesday and wensday game as well. schoney looks like crap, Spring Training or not he is a risk. I would prefer a trade instead of Grilli or Cotts. I don't think Cotts is ready yet, he is close but not ready. I am still hoping that konerko leaves soon. We will see

Trade SS.The Yankees could use Schoeney as a possible 5th starter [not likely] or definitely in the bullpen.

The Yanks have some young arms that are close to being ready for the majors that the Sox could use now. [scott Proctor, a guy who has hit 100 mph, who last year made the conversion from starter to relief--was traded with Bubba Crosby for Ventura from LA last year] or Jorge DePaula, a SP. Proctor would be good "Koch insurance".

If the Sox trade SS and his $1.5 mill salary they could afford to get Ramon Ortiz or Aaron Sele from Ana. [Ana is supposedly willing to eat much of his $8 mill salary]

This is a tough call that needs to be made soon. I have to admire that Schonenweis is working hard to master two new pitches and convert back to a starter. However, it doesn't look like it's working out. The very least he needs to be moved to the #5 spot. Danny Wright has been so much better this Spring and has been a 14 game winner. Shoe has experience. but only won 10 games once as a starter. Both have ERA's as starters over 5 a game. Maybe you give Cotts the job? I am favor of that right now, but probably Shoe will be given another start to see how he does. I think a scenario could be to drop him to #5 and let him work with Cooper till we need that 5th starter. If they keep Cotts with the team as a relief pitcher he can step in to take over if Scott doesn't step up. I am wondering if this all boils down to needing that 3rd leftie in the pen? One of them will be there. I liked Jon rausch a lot, but I go back to the Sox wanting a lefty.

Jim,

Good points. I am down here wathing the boys andn will travel to Phoenix this week to take in the tuesday and wensday game as well. schoney looks like crap, Spring Training or not he is a risk. I would prefer a trade instead of Grilli or Cotts. I don't think Cotts is ready yet, he is close but not ready. I am still hoping that konerko leaves soon. We will see

TQ ... hope all is well down there.

Spoke to your bride at the BD Mongolian event, we stopped in after you'd left. Hope your mom is doing ok.

I'd rather see Cotts get some starts at AAA, if he's lights out down there for 5-6 starts, then maybe he's ready.

This was a need which should've been addressed a while ago.

Let me know when you're back, I have your set of tickets, want to get them in your hands b-4 I'm tempted by some of these guys trying to pry them from me.

The Scottsdale ballpark is great, so is Peoria but quite a hike. If you get a chance take the wife over to Suede, a nightclub near downtown Scottsdale. Very cool, you guys will love it.

This is my first post here, but I want to say I think Scott will be fine. He's a fourth starter, what are you really looking for out of #4 anyway? I'll be happy when he gets 12-14 wins with just as many losses. I"m pretty sure that even if he doesn't have his best stuff this offense will be able to keep him in games. Which leads us to another problem. The bullpen.