Police do not need search warrents

Texsox

Court Opens Door To Searches Without Warrants

POSTED: 3:55 pm CST March 26, 2004

UPDATED: 11:15 am CST March 29, 2004

NEW ORLEANS -- It's a groundbreaking court decision that legal experts say will affect everyone: Police officers in Louisiana no longer need a search or arrest warrant to conduct a brief search of your home or business.

Leaders in law enforcement say it will keep officers safe, but others argue it's a privilege that could be abused.

The decision in United States v. Kelly Gould, No. 0230629cr0, was made March 24 by the New Orleans-based 5th Circuit Court of Appeals.

Link to the rest of the story

But at least now we can hunt the terrorists wherever they might try to hide. You never know if one might sneak in while you're at work all day, but a search just might save your life and remove one more from the world. I feel safer already. I just hope the cops don't shoot me if I'm playing hide and seek with my kids and I startle the cops when I jump out of the closet or something. That would be bad, but it would be my fault I guess for putting myself in a position like that. :o

I understand the police have a dangerous job to do. But this has a huge potential for abuse, especially among the less priveledged in society. I do not see them knocking down Dr. John Weatherford's domicile in the Hamptons. But Juan's place in a poor neighborhood? Coming right in.

The patriot act has a section that provides law enforcment the right to search your home without a warrent and they are not requierd to tell you they searched your home.

Isn't it funny how the media never talks about how crazy the patriot act is? Thank you CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, for keeping all americans ignorant of what is going on in the world

The patriot act has a section that provides law enforcment the right to search your home without a warrent and they are not requierd to tell you they searched your home.

Isn't it funny how the media never talks about how crazy the patriot act is? Thank you CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, for keeping all americans ignorant of what is going on in the world

Thank you. I'm am more afraid of Patriot Acts, than terrorist acts.

From the Las Vegas Review Journal...the 4th Amendment takes another hit.

Some U.S. Supreme Court justices Monday appeared to scoff at a Nevada man's claim that he should not be required to give his name to police.

"I cannot imagine any responsible citizen objecting to giving his name," said law-and-order Justice Antonin Scalia.

"The exercise of a constitutional right should not be incriminating," replied Robert Dolan, a deputy state public defender from Winnemucca.

In 2000, Northern Nevada cattle rancher Larry Hiibel, standing beside his parked truck, was approached by a Humboldt County deputy. The officer asked Mr. Hiibel for proof of identification 11 separate times; in each instance Mr. Hiibel refused, saying he'd done nothing wrong. Finally, Mr. Hiibel was arrested and convicted of resisting and obstructing an officer in the performance of his duties.

By a 4-3 vote, the Nevada Supreme Court rejected Mr. Hiibel's appeal, ruling any privacy right guaranteed by the Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution is "outweighed by the benefits to officers and community safety" by allowing police to force people to provide ID, anywhere.

But under that logic, what right could not be trumped by "police convenience"? Using his patrol car computer terminal, the modern American police officer can learn more about a citizen from today's government-issued photo ID than was contained in the infamous "travel papers" required of any citizen of the Third Reich.

Mr. Hiibel was not even in his motor vehicle. He was jailed for no more than stubbornness and silence. If police can demand our ID by the side of a public road, what about in our backyards ... or in our bedrooms?

plus under the patriot act the cops dont need seperate warrants for multiple credit cards email accounts, phone lines and cell phones like they did before. Its a very scary topic. i had to do a speech on it this semestre in my speech class and wow thhis thing is powerfull