Music

Texsox

My son just returned from a HS orchestra trip to Dallas. One of the guys on the trip turned him on to a couple really cool bands he thought I would like.

Ramones and Clash :headbang

I had to pull out some cassettes. Damn I wish I had a better tape deck. :D

Damn kids think they invented rock and roll :snr

BushPilot.jpg

The king called up his jet fighters

He said you better earn your pay

Drop your bombs between the minarets

Down the casbah way

As soon as the shareef was

Chauffeured outta there

The jet pilots tuned to

The cockpit radio blare

As soon as the shareef was

Outta their hair

The jet pilots wailed

Where's your vinyl dammit?

Ghetto Defendant is by far the bestest song on Combat Rock. Ginsberg doing spoken word.

Although Punk doesn't get better than White Riot....

What about the Misfits??

I got somethin to say..... I killed your baby today..... and it doesnt matter much to me as long as its dead.....

The Clash should be mandatory listening for any teenager who thinks he/she gets rock and roll. I pretty much wore out my copy of London Calling in high school.

Death or Glory... Becomes just another story...

The Ramones were interesting enough, but they were product, way more form than substance - the Replacements were the real deal dissatisfied and adrift suburban-product. Talk about a great group that never got they're full props...

When he said he picked up a Clash CD I hoped it was London Calling, I have the lp here somewhere. Instead he picked up a greatest hits thing. Not bad, but acks the story telling of the originals

Still, I think it is so cool when they are getting into my music. Last year they were all rocking to Queen.

I was trying to find some Boomtown Rats for him to here. I know I have it around here somewhere.

EXCELLENT BANDS! Both are definite must-listens for everyone. The Ramones have to be one of the simplest bands I have ever heard, but their simplicity is so awesome. And the Clash, they're just badass.

And winodj, the Misfits ROCK!!!!

What about... Minor Threat

Black Flag

Dischord Record Bands

Those get even more into the punk.

The Ramones were interesting enough, but they were product, way more form than substance - the Replacements were the real deal dissatisfied and adrift suburban-product.  Talk about a great group that never got they're full props...

I couldn't agree less.

When The Ramones came out, nobody was doing anything similar to what they were doing, so it would have been tough to be "product". They blazed the trail for the buzzsaw guitars, the speed of the songs, and the 1-2-3-4 shouted intro. :D

It's true that they dabbled with attempts at pop music later in their career, but they should always receive kudos for the influence they had on future punk bands. I've read many interviews with the British punk bands of the late 70s who said they were inspired to play by seeing the Ramones when they toured England.

You are right on the money about the Replacements, though - I saw them at the Riviera on the Pleased To Meet Me tour, and they were a drunken riot - sofas and potted palm trees on stage, the entire crowd pushing ALL THE WAY to the left, then ALL THE WAY to the right - great great stuff.

And my personal favorite on Combat Rock is Know Your Rights, but that's probably my least-favorite album of the Clash. The debut disc, Give Em Enough Rope and London Calling are in a 3-way tie for my favorite.

I was privileged enough to have seen The Ramones play live on two separate occasions; once at The Aragon, once at The Uptown Theater (both venues in Chicago)...they kicked SOOOO much ass! All these "new punk" bands like The Offspring, Green Day, White Stripes, etc., (all of whom I like a lot!) "owe" their successes to The Ramones; they will be the first to admit it too! Get the CDs, you will not be disappointed.

I have also seen and am a fan of The Boomtown Rats. They weren't as "hard core" as The Ramones, Sex Pitols, Clash, etc., but very good. You can still find their CDs, but not as readily as The Ramones.

BTW...my 8 week old son has 2 Ramones "onesies"; one says "Rock and Roll Preschool" and the other has the Ramones emblem. (He also has 2 Metallica onesies, an AC/DC, 2 Aerosmiths, a ZZ Top, a Rolling Stones and a Clash t-shirt.)

:headbang

I was privileged enough to have seen The Ramones play live on two separate occasions; once at The Aragon, once at The Uptown Theater (both venues in Chicago)...they kicked SOOOO much ass! All these "new punk" bands like The Offspring, Green Day, White Stripes, etc., (all of whom I like a lot!) "owe" their successes to The Ramones; they will be the first to admit it too! Get the CDs, you will not be disappointed.

I have also seen and am a fan of The Boomtown Rats. They weren't as "hard core" as The Ramones, Sex Pitols, Clash, etc., but very good. You can still find their CDs, but not as readily as The Ramones.

BTW...my 8 week old son has 2 Ramones "onesies"; one says "Rock and Roll Preschool" and the other has the Ramones emblem. (He also has 2 Metallica onesies, an AC/DC, 2 Aerosmiths, a ZZ Top, a Rolling Stones and a Clash t-shirt.)

:headbang

Israel4Ever:

:headbang :headbang :headbang on the mention of the Boomtown Rats!!!!!

One of my favorite bands ever!!

Their stuff is REALLY difficult to find in a record store on CD, don't know about online shopping. I'd assume that Amazon has some used discs, maybe not, I'm sure their stuff is all out of print.

They weren't "as punk" as the other bands of their day, but they recorded some very solid music. One of the best things about LiveAid for me was the chance to see them perform VERY early in the show ( they may have opened the Wembley portion of the concert ).

There was no better place to be in the mid 80's for punk than a Naked Raygun show.

Drunk again -- not a weekend

Isn't life a f***in' ball?

Should have read all the writing on the wall

Pissed again -- one more loose end

Ever see such a f***in' gall?

But I'm laughing at angels as they fall

My insides feel black and blue

Will this healing elixir pull me through

Drunk again -- where is Lou Reed?

Come on Iggy -- tell me true

Wish Roy Orbison could tell me what to do

(chorus)

So I'll drink

To the wonder, while I wander

If there are gods they must be drunk

Rev'ling in the madness you and I

So I'll wonder, while I wander

Drunk again not a weekend

Give me needles -- sleep on pins

As I long for the sweet Bacchanalian din

Damned again -- since that weekend

From too much adrenalin

hide my eyes and take two more aspirin

(chorus)

Pagan alchoholiday

Cheer and beer hounds -- that still keep me at bay

Drunk again -- till the binge ends

My glass fortress my mainstay

And the wonder of each new sordid day

There was no better place to be in the mid 80's for punk than a Naked Raygun show.

Isn't life a f***in' ball?

Should have read all the writing on the wall

Pissed again -- one more loose end

Ever see such a f***in' gall?

But I'm laughing at angels as they fall

My insides feel black and blue

Will this healing elixir pull me through

Drunk again -- where is Lou Reed?

Come on Iggy -- tell me true

Wish Roy Orbison could tell me what to do

(chorus)

So I'll drink

To the wonder, while I wander

So I'll wonder, while I wander

Drunk again not a weekend

Give me needles -- sleep on pins

As I long for the sweet Bacchanalian din

Damned again -- since that weekend

From too much adrenalin

hide my eyes and take two more aspirin

(chorus)

Pagan alchoholiday

Cheer and beer hounds -- that still keep me at bay

Drunk again -- till the binge ends

My glass fortress my mainstay

And the wonder of each new sordid day

Never had a chance to see them, would like to!

I4E... another thing you're wrong on  ;) The White Stripes are more blues than punk.

I wore out my London Calling CD. If you're gonna honor American punk though - its all Descendents baby...

All? No ALL!

They sound like pretty much of a garage punk band to me...can you have a blues combo without a bass player?

Too late, they no longer exist. But you can still get their stuff on cd.

Naked Raygun Discography

Excellent, another NR fan!

In addition to having better-written songs than your average punk band, they also had a extra weapon that allowed them to dominate most other punk bands of the era--the voice of Jeff Pezzati. Nobody sounded like him then, or now for that matter.

My brother's band was signed to his Jettison label a couple years ago.

I would say that they'll surely re-group again for some shows at some point, but they would again be without John Haggerty, Bill Stephens to take his place again.

Excellent, another NR fan!

In addition to having better-written songs than your average punk band, they also had a extra weapon that allowed them to dominate most other punk bands of the era--the voice of Jeff Pezzati.  Nobody sounded like him then, or now for that matter.

My brother's band was signed to his Jettison label a couple years ago. 

I would say that they'll surely re-group again for some shows at some point, but they would again be without John Haggerty, Bill Stephens to take his place again.

NR was the BEST Chicago punk band ever.

Maybe the best Chicago band, period.

You should check out Pezzatti's new band, The Bomb.

He's still in fine voice and some of the songs have that NR feel to them, which I guess is only natural since he sings and plays guitar in the band.

I doubt they'll reform again - they did a few years ago ( '97? ) for a few dates, including a Metro anniversary show, and I remember reading that while they played well, they didn't really enjoy each other's company much anymore.

What did you think of "Raygun....Naked Raygun"? I enjoyed that disc a lot, but I was surprised to find that many old-school NR fans thought it was a "sellout" disc.

NR was the BEST Chicago punk band ever.

Maybe the best Chicago band, period.

He's still in fine voice and some of the songs have that NR feel to them, which I guess is only natural since he sings and plays guitar in the band.

I doubt they'll reform again - they did a few years ago ( '97? ) for a few dates, including a Metro anniversary show, and I remember reading that while they played well, they didn't really enjoy each other's company much anymore.

What did you think of "Raygun....Naked Raygun"? I enjoyed that disc a lot, but I was surprised to find that many old-school NR fans thought it was a "sellout" disc.

**I have seen them, my bro's band has opened for them a handful of times. As much as I like his voice, I don't really like the Bomb at all. I can't put my finger on why though. Maybe I'm just biased.

**Never underestimate the power of a quick payday, and the opportunity to re-live your glory days. Even punk bands have a hard time resisting.

**Hardcore NR fans will always slam it because of Haggerty's absence, but I think it's decent. The guitars are heavier on that album than on any other, and I think "Home" is one of their best songs ever. But, the last half of the album is full of garbage tracks--the band sounds bored. I mean the song "Holding You?" What is that crap?

Yeah...some of DO get laid without having to pay for it, Slick!

hehe....man, I've been missing this place

He's got you confused with grace_slick_1.jpg

One pill makes you larger

And one pill makes you small,

And the ones that mother gives you

Don't do anything at all.

Go ask Alice

When she's ten feet tall.

And if you go chasing rabbits

And you know you're going to fall,

Tell 'em a hookah smoking caterpillar

Has given you the call.