engagement ring advice thread

sox4lifeinPA

I'm open to people's experience on the dos and dont's of engagement ring shopping.

I'm also toying with the idea of matching wedding bands that would be something like this:carved-scroll.jpg

but with scripture verses engraved around the band...kinda lord of the rings-like...minus the elvish...but keeping the "one ring to rule the other" theme...(her ruling me, of course)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Donate the money to a charity in her name and just get nice matching wedding bands instead.

that's funny, because my best friend that's getting married this summer didn't get a ring because of the african diamond trade/armless children thing...and we(meaning, she) decided she'd still like a ring.

I'm 5'6" 112 this morning and I have 2.23 cts.. looks fine on me. It's all in the setting.

Steff...I appreciate the advice, but my pocketbook and Jim's pocket book will never be in the same weight class....ever.

congrats though:)

that's funny, because my best friend that's getting married this summer didn't get a ring because of the african diamond trade/armless children thing...and we(meaning, she) decided she'd still like a ring.

Hm, to each her own. Just my suggestion. But I like the idea of matching bands--I think that's way clutch and, ultimately, much more meaningful and important than engagement rings.

stef, I'm feelin' ya. it's all good. I'm looking in the $2k range. not the 7k. haha.

and don't you dare give miss sox4life any ideas! :lol:

I'm gonna call her right now.... :lol:

In all honesty.. you can get a great ring for $2K. And it really doesn't matter anyway.. it's from you, and the reasoning, thought, and love behind it is all that really matters. :cheers

Hm, to each her own. Just my suggestion. But I like the idea of matching bands--I think that's way clutch and, ultimately, much more meaningful and important than engagement rings.

if she likes the idea, I may spend more on the wedding bands and less on the engagement ring. chisoxy, if and when you get married, how much would you spend on it? cos I'm not a big fan of spending 10K+ on a wedding... now THAT'S a serious misallocation of funds...

The size is not as important as the clarity. Make sure it is a highly rated stone and from a reputable jeweler. You want the stone to have no visible flaws and no yellowness of any kind. I would go with a four prong setting to show off the stone more and go with a silver band instead of gold. I think it cheapens the ring.

Also, find out what the trade in policy is. If ever in the future you would like to upgrade in size or rating make sure they have a friendly policy that does just that. For example, you have to spend $100 more than the trade in value, etc.

if she likes the idea, I may spend more on the wedding bands and less on the engagement ring. chisoxy, if and when you get married, how much would you spend on it? cos I'm not a big fan of spending 10K+ on a wedding... now THAT'S a serious misallocation of funds...

OMG.. do NOT spend $10K on a wedding. No friggin way!! When do you plan on doing this PA..? And how soon do you think you might plan the event..? My sister has a TON of stuff on her home computer from when I helped her plan her wedding (a little over 4 years ago - but still 80 guests, just UNDER $5K). It's very easy to plan a wedding for right around $50 a person. Just have to know some shortcuts. Let me know and I'll have her send me some stuff to forward to you.

What's wrong with spending $10,000 on a wedding? :huh