engagement ring advice thread

sox4lifeinPA

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's wrong with spending $10,000 on a wedding? :huh

Hey.. more power to those who want to. IMO.. it's a total waste. Considering most newleyweds are just about to, or have just, bought their first residence it's a huge financial burden. The wedding and marriage in general is stressful enough.. what's the point in burying yourself in debt..?

For the record.. I did have one of those stupid $10K+ weddings. Now I just shake my head at all the other things we could have done with that money. :headshake

The day is about you.. not how much you paid for tablecloths.. and trust me.. you WILL always remember how much you paid for them.. :lol:

OMG.. do NOT spend $10K on a wedding. No friggin way!! When do you plan on doing this PA..? And how soon do you think you might plan the event..? My sister has a TON of stuff on her home computer from when I helped her plan her wedding (a little over 4 years ago - but still 80 guests, just UNDER $5K). It's very easy to plan a wedding for right around $50 a person. Just have to know some shortcuts. Let me know and I'll have her send me some stuff to forward to you.

We are having 200 guests. He has a huge family and too many friends...I should talk, 78 of them are my guests. :ph34r: This why we are choosing off-season for the wedding. We've already cut alot of costs so it shouldn't hurt us too badly. If we could finally close on the new mortgage (combined the remainder and the construction loan), I could contact the church and begin planning - one thing at a time or my head might explode. :lol:

Hey.. more power to those who want to. IMO.. it's a total waste. Considering most newleyweds are just about to, or have just, bought their first residence it's a huge financial burden. The wedding and marriage in general is stressful enough.. what's the point in burying yourself in debt..?

For the record.. I did have one of those stupid $10K+ weddings. Now I just shake my head at all the other things we could have done with that money.  :headshake

The day is about you.. not how much you paid for tablecloths.. and trust me.. you WILL always remember how much you paid for them..  :lol:

We spent just about $10,000 on our wedding (156 guests) and closed on our first home 5 months later. We just made sure we gave ourselves enough time to plan and save for everything so it wouldn't be stressfull and a burden. We were engaged in October 1993 and got married in February 1995. Our home was new construction out in Lake in the Hills and we bought at the pre-construction phase so we got the lowest possible price. We both worked two jobs for about a year (cause what else are two 22 year olds going to do).

The main thing is we did exactly what we set out to do, had the wedding that we wanted and did it all on our own. If there is something you want in life anything is possible if you want it bad enough. :)

We spent just about $10,000 on our wedding (156 guests) and closed on our first home 5 months later.  We just made sure we gave ourselves enough time to plan and save for everything so it wouldn't be stressfull and a burden.  We were engaged in October 1993 and got married in February 1995.  Our home was new construction out in Lake in the Hills and we bought at the pre-construction phase so we got the lowest possible price.  We both worked two jobs for about a year (cause what else are two 22 year olds going to do).

Exactly why he redid (great edjamakation I gots, huh? :lol: ) the house first and are now planning the wedding.

He is 32 (ok, will be in a month and a half) and makes really good money (he works too much and is starting to realize that) and I am 27. We both settled into our careers first, that seems to have helped a bunch.

We spent just about $10,000 on our wedding (156 guests) and closed on our first home 5 months later.  We just made sure we gave ourselves enough time to plan and save for everything so it wouldn't be stressfull and a burden.  We were engaged in October 1993 and got married in February 1995.  Our home was new construction out in Lake in the Hills and we bought at the pre-construction phase so we got the lowest possible price.  We both worked two jobs for about a year (cause what else are two 22 year olds going to do).

The main thing is we did exactly what we set out to do, had the wedding that we wanted and did it all on our own.  If there is something you want in life anything is possible if you want it bad enough.  :)

I completely agree... my advice is for those that don't want to go the $10K route.

For me.. we bought a place first and lived in sin (should have paid closer attention to that sin part...). We had 238 people at our wedding in 1995.. in March (off season) and still paid over $10K. Did it the way we (I) wanted to do it - like I could be stopped :lol:. In thinking back - as he was booted to the curb a short time later.. ;) - I would have definitely done things differently. His stupid mother just HAD to invite ALL the people from her work.. :headshake and he had to invite ALL the guys on the softball teams... all FOUR teams :banghead . Now I think differently (probably cause it's the second time around). A nice week in Antigua sounds much more appealing to me than a bunch of people I barely know dancing the conga with me on "my special day"...

if she likes the idea, I may spend more on the wedding bands and less on the engagement ring. chisoxy, if and when you get married, how much would you spend on it? cos I'm not a big fan of spending 10K+ on a wedding... now THAT'S a serious misallocation of funds...

Um, I plan on getting married in a courthouse with my husband and whatever witness I deem acceptable (so howmuch does that cost ;) ). Then having a nice little party for friends afterward. I plan on waiting long enough that I won't need gifts or anything--just a get together afterwards to celebrate "the happiest day of my life." If anything I would rather have a waaaaay posh honeymoon than a big wedding. But I see the bands being the biggest expense because the longest enduring symbol of your mutual love...Awwwwww (anyone tells my boyfriend I got all mushy like that and my reputation with him is shot...)

Um, I plan on getting married in a courthouse with my husband and whatever witness I deem acceptable (so howmuch does that cost ;) ). Then having a nice little party for friends afterward.

We were always going with a church wedding (why, I don't know, but it is what he wants). He said that if we were going to have a reception, that he wanted to go all out so we have all our friends and family there to celebrate. Since we can afford it, why not?

We were always going with a church wedding (why, I don't know, but it is what he wants).  He said that if we were going to have a reception, that he wanted to go all out so we have all our friends and family there to celebrate.  Since we can afford it, why not?

I totally understand, my cousin had a gorgeous (and massive) church wedding. I loved being in it and watching it.

But it's just so not my style (and not the style of any of the guys of been with), so I can think of so many other things I would rather do with the money...

To each their own on the special day...

I think we plan on a july '06 wedding, and of course my favorite soxtalk peeps will be invited....so, yeah, the list is short. Brando, I'll send you the invite via email.

anyway, we're gonna have it at her home church, and make it beautiful, but simplistic. I know that we have enough friends with connections to help us cut some costs. I really don't like the idea of spending much more than 5-6k on it. She already has some of that saved up, so it doesn't pain me as much as my friends wedding this weekend. (nice, but for 15k? rip-----off.)

anyway...rings stay with you...they mean something...you get to show them off. foosball tables are great and all...but no way will miss sox4life have sex with me as often as I'd like if I get her THAT. (too much info? sorry)

Why waste all that money on a wedding??? That is insane. Use that 10 Grand as a downpayment on a house, if you're going to spend it. Sheesh.

We're having a larger wedding because we have the house and most of the goodies we've wanted. For the most part, we want to celebrate with family friends. Funny part is that he wants the big wedding more than myself.

Take this advice, and prepare for a life of celibacy!

I'm assuming that you would talk this over with her first. Usually the women that don't want engagement rings or would prefer other things make that abundantly clear...People tend to know who we are... :ph34r:

Why waste all that money on a wedding??? That is insane. Use that 10 Grand as a downpayment on a house, if you're going to spend it. Sheesh.

Dude...my wife and I got married by an Elvis impersonator at the Viva Las Vegas Wedding Chapel, in Las Vegas, NV. (Actually, we first got married by a Rabbi, but there were problems...he told us to get a Marriage License in Cook County, knowing we were getting married in Lake County, 2 weeks later, we get a letter from the State of Illinois telling us our marriage was invalid. (I laughed, she cried!).) That's why we went to Vegas.

I'd say the Vegas thing is the way to go...that way you can combine the bachelor/bachelorette party, wedding and honeymoon in one big trip!

I'm assuming that you would talk this over with her first. Usually the women that don't want engagement rings or would prefer other things make that abundantly clear...People tend to know who we are... :ph34r:

Soxy...he's gonna pay, either now or later!

If he donated the money to charity, I'd bet that somewhere down the line, she's gonna want diamond(s)! (They are a "girl's best friend", ya know?!).

He might as well do it now, and get it over with. I also think he should let her pick out the ring she likes, that will definitely prevent potential problems down the road.

I think we plan on a july '06 wedding, and of course my favorite soxtalk peeps will be invited....so, yeah, the list is short. Brando, I'll send you the invite via email.

anyway, we're gonna have it at her home church, and make it beautiful, but simplistic. I know that we have enough friends with connections to help us cut some costs. I really don't like the idea of spending much more than 5-6k on it. She already has some of that saved up, so it doesn't pain me as much as my friends wedding this weekend. (nice, but for 15k? rip-----off.)

anyway...rings stay with you...they mean something...you get to show them off. foosball tables are great and all...but no way will miss sox4life have sex with me as often as I'd like once she sees me naked on the foosball table.  (too much info? sorry)

I wouldn't miss it for the world. :D Could we have the reception on-line? :lol: Of course we already know the music will suck :D