adoption

sox4lifeinPA

anyone here adopted?

anyone planning on adopting kids?

anyone have thoughts on mixed race adoptions?

miss sox4life and I were talking about the idea of a family this weekend, and we both agreed on adopting 2 out of our 4 kids, I think. I mean, we can't plan or anything, but I know we both want a sizable family and we'd want to have the joy of both birth and adopted kids. (infants, really).

If you want infants.. unless you have a LOT of scratch to spend... you're going to have to adopt mixed or foreign. My co worker just adopted Korean twins and they are very happy and the experience was good. They tried to adopt from China and that was bad - no details, just that it was "bad". I hear that there are a lot of african american infants "avaliable" but I really have no idea for sure.

That sure is a wonderful thing if you guys do it.

I know someone who adopted a little african american todler and he is a stud. The kid is awesome and they are very happy. My parents started to try to adopt a few years back but it got to be too much and they decided that three was enough. (Thank god to because I got to stay being the youngest. ;) )

my close friend and his wife just adopted a half white/half black baby boy. cost them 5k...but the gov't gave them a 10k tax CREDIT.

but yes DBHA0, I know I'd like to share in the joy of having my own kids, but "(Ephesians 1:5) he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ"

and I believe that it's my responsibility to do something about the major orphan problem in the US.

Psalm 82:3

Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless; maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed.

Isaiah 1:17

learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. [ 1:17 Or [ / rebuke the oppressor ] ] Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow.

My aunt and uncle have adopted two girls from China, and they're great kids. They got them both really young so they haven't had any trouble adjusting to the US. It's a great thing, considering these kids were in orphanages when they were real young. The ability to take them out of a situation like that and give them a new, much better life is just awesome.

my close friend and his wife just adopted a half white/half black baby boy. cost them 5k...but the gov't gave them a 10k tax CREDIT.

Where's my sister's tax credit - her son is half white and half black?

Anywho, the guy I used to work for had been trying for awhile for adoption, but after getting their hopes up only to be dashed, they kind have given up on that idea for the time being.

Where's my sister's tax credit - her son is half white and half black?

Anywho, the guy I used to work for had been trying for awhile for adoption, but after getting their hopes up only to be dashed, they kind have given up on that idea for the time being.

If I understand correctly... the first claiming year there is an additional 4K credit (did it used to be 6K per child..?) After that it's the standard deduction.

In '04 I believe the credit went up to 7K per child so I wonder if adoptive parents will get a 11K credit...

Someone with kids want to enlighten us?

If I understand correctly... the first claiming year there is an additional 4K credit (did it used to be 6K per child..?) After that it's the standard deduction.

In '04 I believe the credit went up to 7K per child so I wonder if adoptive parents will get a 11K credit...

Someone with kids want to enlighten us?

Well, this is the first tax time she had him as a deduction (sp?) and all she got was the EIC because she doesn't make that much. I was kinda being fasicious because he is her birth child, not adopted...

Well, this is the first tax time she had him as a deduction (sp?) and all she got was the EIC because she doesn't make that much.  I was kinda being fasicious because he is her birth child, not adopted...

I sure hope she took the deduction!!! EIC is an additional credit, which she should have gotten.. as well as head of household... (from what you've told me she should get that).

The deduction gets taken off the gross income from the get go. She better have taken it.. it's hers to take.

I sure hope she took the deduction!!! EIC is an additional credit, which she should have gotten.. as well as head of household... (from what you've told me she should get that).

The deduction gets taken off the gross income from the get go. She better have taken it.. it's hers to take.

No, I don't think she did, but I didn't ask for much detail. I'll mention it to her and maybe she can contact HR Block about it.

Yeah, she is defintely head of household and if she had her wits about her, she'd have been gone by now. It's just a cycle of him treating her like crap, her looking for apartments, him kissing her ass, her staying and then back to him treating her like crap. She ended up staying the night Monday because she was putting Nate to bed and he came home drunk and started berating her. I offered a temporary place to stay until she can secure an apartment, but she won't. I guess there isn't much more I can do other than offer. I just hate seeing her cry and look so beaten. :(

Fan.. she should have claimed 2 deductions on her taxes.. filed as head of household.. and gotten the EIC. Holy crap... I know it's touchy to talk about $$ with family sometimes.. but make sure she took all THREE and if not she should file an amended return ASAP. She's due more $$ back!!

Instead of discussing the 2 kids your are thinking of adopting, could we discuss your plans to reproduce? I'm not so sure I'm in favor of *you* reproducing. Perhaps Misssox4Life could find an alternate donor?

Probably the best part of my job (for me anyway) is when people come through the lines at O'Hare with babies they have adopted, mostly from China. We have to process them for temp Green Cards and citizen certificates.

Everything you've heard about Chinese adoptions is true; baby girls are "thrown away" in China. Subsequently, in 5 1/2 years at O'Hare, I have seen maybe two Chinese baby boys being adopted. That being said, the little girls are gorgeous! (I have actually discussed adopting a Chinese baby with my wife, but with a 9-week old boy, that's the last thing she wants to discuss right now.)

We also see several Russian and/or Ukrainian babies being adopted; it is my understanding that babies from these countries have a lot more medical problems than those from China. Also, we hear a lot about "scams" in which a couple thinks they are going to Russia to pick up their child, only to be told that they have to take a different one, they can't take the baby unless they also take the 12-year old step-brother, etc. I have also heard that , from beginning to end, the cost to adopt a baby from and Eastern European country will run about $50,000.00.

I hope I didn't discourage you, that is not my intention. In fact, I think that if you want a child(ren) you should definitely go for it.

If you have any questions, email me ([email protected]).

Fan.. she should have claimed 2 deductions on her taxes.. filed as head of household.. and gotten the EIC. Holy crap... I know it's touchy to talk about $$ with family sometimes.. but make sure she took all THREE and if not she should file an amended return ASAP. She's due more $$ back!!

I know she got the head of household and EIC, I have to check and see how she handled the standard dependent deduction this being the first time she has had to claim him as a deduction.

Thanks for the info! :cheers

Instead of discussing the 2 kids your are thinking of adopting, could we discuss your plans to reproduce? I'm not so sure I'm in favor of *you* reproducing. Perhaps Misssox4Life could find an alternate donor?

jealousy abounding...

I've suckered her in somehow...now I can reap the benefits:)