adoption

sox4lifeinPA

This comment smells bad.. very bad.

my friend and his wife are among the nicest and amazing couples in the world. I think I worded it poorly to make a point, as I know that the "adoption is so expensive" arguement isn't valid in some cases.

That makes me a sucker, not a bad guy!

You are in so much trouble. I'm going to cut and paste this in every thread you've ever spoken in now... :P

my friend and his wife are among the nicest and amazing couples in the world. I think I worded it poorly to make a point, as I know that the "adoption is so expensive" arguement isn't valid in some cases.

I wasn't referring to your friends.. I was referring to your comment about the tax credit....

You might want to do some research into adoption not being "so expensive". They are very costly. Perhaps your friend got back a % of the adoption costs - which makes some sense since many legal fees are tax deductable - but I don't think it's a reoccurring deduction.

My co-worker spent - between the actual legal fees and travel expenses - well over $20K for his children. Private USA adoptions often times include the medical expenses of the "mother" as well. It aint cheap to have a baby.

I wasn't referring to your friends.. I was referring to your comment about the tax credit....

You might want to do some research into adoption not being "so expensive". They are very costly. Perhaps your friend got back a % of the adoption costs - which makes some sense since many legal fees are tax deductable - but I don't think it's a reoccurring deduction.

My co-worker spent - between the actual legal fees and travel expenses - well over $20K for his children. Private USA adoptions often times include the medical expenses of the "mother" as well. It aint cheap to have a baby.

hmm, I'm not sure now... I'll definitely do research on it before I even think about making it happen for real. Thanks stef.

Here's some information...

http://forums.adoption.com/t1435.html

http://www.langsamstevens.com/newsletters/SEPT20011.PDF

http://www.normanjohnsoncpa.com/fft/2002changes.htm

Apparently your friends got credit for their EXPENSES and if the law has not changed they can claim the deduction for up to 5 years. But note this is for expenses only.. it appears you can not take advantage of the credit of you don't have the expenses to offset it.

and I believe that it's my responsibility to do something about the major orphan problem in the US.

Spay and neuter those stray kids like Bob Barker says, and the problem will go away. :P

My cousins adopted an eastern European girl and a Korean boy very many years ago. They grew up as a regular part of the family. Some friends have adopted a boy and a girl from India and they are about the sweetest kids you could ever hope for.

Steff's right about is taking lots of time and money if you want caucasian infants, but if you are willing to adopt kids a couple of years older that is substantially easier. And that is far and away a group that needs more parents willing to make them part of their families. Special needs children of all ages/races/needs are also out ther in karge numbers and are in desparate need of loving families, but you have to be a special type of person to take that on. Good on ya if you do decide to adopt. Work on that getting engaged/married thing first, though. :)