EvilJester99

Who's better??  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Who's better??

• Prior, Wood, Maddux
    • Clemens, Pettite, Oswalt
    • Zito, Mulder, Hudon
    • Martinez, Schilling, Lowe

Clemens sucks, I think.  Pettite is still very good, but nowhere near what he once was.  Oswalt is the only all star caliber pitcher of the bunch in 2004.  The guy who said that Wade Miller is better than Clemens was right on the money.  Miller struggled somewhat last year, as he had some nagging injuries, but remember that he went 16-3 in 2002.

Look at clemens stats away from Yankee stadium last year.

10-2 103.0IP 84H 32R 29ER 22BB 80K 2.53ERA 1.03WHIP .220BAA

I'm sure we'd hate to have that on our team this year... Granted He won't put up numbers like that in that ballpark in Houston, but he shuold perform well... I agree with you that miller is gonna rebound though.

You meant that as a joke right.... ;)

No. Oswalt is one of the most gifted young starters in the game, up there with guys like Prior, Beckett, Webb, Oakland's big three, etc. Anybody who knows their pitching will tell you that he's clearly the ace of this staff. Pettite is past his prime. Clemens is way, way past his prime, although as the Cheat pointed out, he did well on the road last year.

But then again, there are plenty of intelligent baseball people out there who would go with Pettite as the ace. To me that's just dead wrong. But with enough run support, he could still win 20. Oswalt, however, doesn't need run support to win 20. That's the difference.

Bottom line is, in a playoff series if you stack Pedro and Schilling against anyone, the other team is going down. Oakland's pitchers have boned it in the playoffs the past like five years, they can't get out of the first round. Granted, no Mulder last year but Pedro and Lowe beat them. No reason adding Schilling should make them worse than Oakland.

There are other guys who are past their prime, but they're still all star caliber. Guys like Schilling, Johnson, Brown, and Mussina come to mind. All 4 of these guys have hall of fame type pitching capabilities, though. Brown will never make it to the hall, although he could have under different circumstances.

Pettite's not quite there.

There are other guys who are past their prime, but they're still all star caliber.  Guys like Schilling, Johnson, Brown, and Mussina come to mind.  All 4 of these guys have hall of fame type pitching capabilities, though.  Brown will never make it to the hall, although he could have under different circumstances. 

Pettite's not quite there.

I think Mussina is wicked overrated. Sure, he gets the ERA done, and the wins. That's cause he's on good teams. He's never won a Cy Young, and he doesn't get it done in the big games. In that respect, I'd take Pettitte over Mussina anyday. Seventh game of the World Series, if I have to give the ball to one of them I'm givin it to Pettitte.