Grilli headed to AAA Char.

JDsDirtySox

Florida would be fools to just let us have him back without getting anything in return.  I'm sure we had to have given them something, a low minor leaguer, cash, a case of steaks.

They do get to keep the $25k that they would have had to pay us if they took him back.

I guess that's true, I am not real well informed on how that works, but I thought the word was we were trying to work out a trade, usually you wouldn't just stop the trade talks and let us have him for nothing but a savings of 25 Gs

I would guess that we sent them a low level minor leaguer... just a hunch.

Nothing that I've heard of yet. I am still guessing it will be someone like Dennis Ulacia. I'd have to think a pitcher is on the move because of the sheer volume of pitchers the Sox have right now. I remember Bullard saying that in general, the Sox have too many players right now.

This is from Chisox.com....

Despite being a Rule 5 selection, the White Sox were able to keep Grilli without providing Florida with any compensation. Usually, a team must keep a Rule 5 pick on the 25-man roster the entire year or offer him back to the prior club.

Since Grilli had a prior outright in his career, the rules allowed him to become a free agent when he was outrighted again off the roster. Grilli cleared waivers, and knowing that he would not return to Florida, the Marlins renounced his rights without compensation. The White Sox made a deal to keep the right-hander.

"He could have said he was going somewhere else," said White Sox general manager Ken Williams. "That was well within his rights. But it was expressed to him how high we are on him and how optimistic about his future we are here in the organization. So, he decided to stay.

"Obviously, we were in a position at one point, where we thought if we were going to keep him it would have had to be on the Major League roster. That's not the case anymore, so we are happy to have him. He's a quality guy and has a quality arm."