308,000 jobs added in March 04

kapkomet

Saw the employment stats that showed 308,000 jobs added to the economy, which was a sharper rise then the expected 123,000 jobs added.

Say hello to higher interest rates sooner rather then later (damn, just when we decide to buy a house!!!!!!!)

Saw the employment stats that showed 308,000 jobs added to the economy, which was a sharper rise then the expected 109,000 jobs added.

Say hello to higher interest rates sooner rather then later (damn, just when we decide to buy a house!!!!!!!)

Damn now that was a fun morning! After the number came out the Dow futures rallied 150 point, the bonds dropped 4 whole handles, gold dropped $10, silver dropped $15, the Euro dropped 150 points, all in about a minutes time. Phones ringing off of the hook, errors happening, people panicing... Now I remember what I love about this business :headbang

Damn now that was a fun morning! After the number came out the Dow futures rallied 150 point, the bonds dropped 4 whole handles, gold dropped $10, silver dropped $15, the Euro dropped 150 points, all in about a minutes time.  Phones ringing off of the hook, errors happening, people panicing...  Now I remember what I love about this business :headbang

It sure was fun, wasn't it? :headbang

Mike, you got TVs where you're at? Our Comcast is out here. Can't watch CNBC. :crying

Damn now that was a fun morning! After the number came out the Dow futures rallied 150 point, the bonds dropped 4 whole handles, gold dropped $10, silver dropped $15, the Euro dropped 150 points, all in about a minutes time.  Phones ringing off of the hook, errors happening, people panicing...  Now I remember what I love about this business :headbang

My mutual funds will be singing a happy tune today & probably for the next little while too. Good deal!

Actually here in Dallas there are a lot of companies that are hiring again. Locally, you can see things picking up pretty well. In northeast Dallas, where the tech corridor is, you have all these new buildings and it just STOPS - skeletons of buildings, etc not finished because the money ran out. Just lately, they've started rebuilding out there, albiet slowly...

Our company is doing pretty well, but we're in healthcare. We're hiring lots of folks right now.

There hasn't been any mass layoffs here in a bit, which is a little better then it was considering aviation is big here too.

Saw the employment stats that showed 308,000 jobs added to the economy, which was a sharper rise then the expected 123,000 jobs added.

I dont think interest rate hikes are forthcoming anytime soon. The Fed usually holds back from raising interest rates in an election year. In 2005 though, it's gonna happen.

I dont think interest rate hikes are forthcoming anytime soon.  The Fed usually holds back from raising interest rates in an election year.  In 2005 though, it's gonna happen.

I disagree... while you're right in the bigger monetary policy, they will not raise rates substantially, there are inflation pressures all over the place. Gas, agriculture, etc. etc. etc. are all at high prices. There has to be some give here, and I would bet that the Fed raises rates in June to start warding off some of the pressures.

Kap, you should still be alright, plus their are always adjustable rates, which I typically recommend because you get the low start rate so you can adjust into your payment better.

Yea, I think they won't go up more then 25 to 50 points which will still get us a pretty decent rate I think. Not sure I want to go adjustable though - it's an option but interest rates have no where to go but up - so I think I want to get it fixed now and I can always refinance later as our credit gets better over time or the rates go lower then they are now, which I seriously doubt will happen anytime in the next 10 years (or more).

I disagree... while you're right in the bigger monetary policy, they will not raise rates substantially, there are inflation pressures all over the place.  Gas, agriculture, etc. etc. etc. are all at high prices.  There has to be some give here, and I would bet that the Fed raises rates in June to start warding off some of the pressures.

Right on. Join the inflation train. Its coming, trust me.

Yep rates are definately going up, although I don't think they will go super high. But it will take a long time before they got to where they are right now.

Most of the loans I do are adjustable, but its cause it really helps people qualify for more expensive homes or its great for people that are self employed because you can have the option to get a Neg-Am loan and if your business is having a slow few months, you can take the option of the small payment. If your doing good, you can pay that stuff off faster or you can just make the normal payment and never even worrying about going neg.

Fixed are good too, just depends...right now I'm doing some adjustable with about 2.2 margins and then thats over the moving tbill average (12 months) which is right now about 1.19 or 1.2 or so if I recall. Fixed are a few percent higher then that, so the moving tbill would have to shoot up. This are loans on the libor if I recall (I'm a little fuzzy this morning).

Of course the moving tbill is a much quicker moving index and in a time like this if I were to get my own personal loan, I'd stay away from the tbill and go to the 11th district cost of funds (COFI loan). Its a very conservative index that is pretty slow moving.

Yep rates are definately going up, although I don't think they will go super high.  But it will take a long time before they got ..........

Hmmm, maybe I should call you before they do the loan... :lol:

So this is what you do is mortgage loans?

One of the options they presented us with is where we do a 3.5 yr 1 and a 4.5 yr 2 and then a 5.5 fixed year 3-30. But all the deferred gets rolled in, or something like that.

In the long run, I think it may just be smarter to do a fixed rate and take the element of variability out of it.

I just hijacked my own thread.

:headbang

Ya, I'm a processor. My dad knows more then I do about it, he's an broker (Although he does real estate, but he knows loans very well).

The deferred fixed isn't too bad, especially if after you move into the house you may be strapped tight for cash. You'll need furniture, all that good stuff and may of tapped out your resources. That why we usually do the low start rate (1.25 or so) for the 1st year and then it adjust up, but it really doesn't go too high. Just did one the other day where right after the adjustment, it goes to about 3.375. Of course as the rates go up that will also go up. The question is how long are you planning on keeping your house. If its for a long time, then I say go Fixed, much safer. Like I mention, typically out here, people don't really live at a house for super long periods of time, so it makes the adjustable very worthile.

Their are a whole lot of options out there. The most conservative is probably the fixed rate....although I personall see adjustable rates as just as safe, because I just can't see rates absolutely skyrocketing (To the point where they are 10% or so). And if you see them starting to take off like that, you quickly get out of the adjustable and try to lock yourself down, knowing that for the long period of time, you were paying a much lower rate.

Also, remember, very rarely do people pay off their house (At least out here in Cali). The house appreciates and then people move up to bigger, better houses or sometimes sell and retire to a less expensive area.

Still, I can't see how you go wrong with a fixed rate in the 5's.