Cotts In, Burke Out

bjm676

From today Sun-Times:

Painful decision for Guillen

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Esteban Loaiza's sore neck proved to be a real pain for Jamie Burke.

The White Sox all but set their roster Thursday, electing to start the season with 12 pitchers and informing Burke he will not make the major-league team to start the season.

After the game against the Colorado Rockies, manager Ozzie Guillen cited Loaiza's minor injury as the deciding factor in going with a 12-man pitching staff.

''We're going to carry 12 pitchers,'' Guillen said. ''The simplest example right now [as to why] is Loaiza went down in the first inning.''

Loaiza, who pitched just one inning Thursday, still is expected to make his season-opening start Wednesday against the Kansas City Royals. More will be learned about his situation when he throws on the side this weekend, possibly Sunday when the team has a workout in Kansas City.

The news for Neal Cotts was positive as the left-hander learned he will make the team and be the long man out of the bullpen. He offered the Sox the most versatility by also being able to start if Scott Schoeneweis stumbles again in his final spring start today, and being a lefty in the bullpen if Kelly Wunsch doesn't make the Opening Day roster.

Guillen indicated that Wunsch has been bothered by nagging arm and back injuries, but also added: ''I don't know yet. It depends on how he feels. I can't put a kid [on the disabled list] if he's not hurt.''

Wunsch, who said he felt fine after his last outing Tuesday vs. the San Francisco Giants, is expected to pitch today. If he proves to be healthy and effective, the final roster spot then comes down to Mike Jackson and Jon Adkins.

The Sox are expected to go with Jackson in that scenario since it isn't likely the 16-year veteran would accept a minor-league assignment. Adkins still has minor-league options.

The decision to have 12 pitchers on the staff also seems logical with the offensive-minded New York Yankees on the schedule for seven of the first 15 games. Not only that, but the Sox will face the Yankees at New York next weekend with the back end of their rotation.

Guillen said one of the most difficult things he ever has had to do in baseball was informing Burke that he would not make the team.

''Today I made one of the toughest decisions I ever made in baseball,'' Guillen said. ''Telling my family I'm not playing anymore, that was hard, but sending a kid down that should be here ... Burke did everything we asked him to do. He was a great man to have around and was a pretty good player.''

Burke's roster spot appeared to be a lock in recent days, especially in light of the fact that Jason Grilli said he was told the Sox would carry only 11 pitchers and Kelly Dransfeldt, reassigned last week, was informed the Sox would go with three catchers, according to Burke.

Only a few hours before the Sox made their roster decision Thursday, Burke was trying to see things from all angles.

''I think it's a delicate thing,'' Burke said about putting together a roster. ''It doesn't bother me to wait, but I get antsy thinking about it. There's other things they're probably thinking about, too. I'm sure they don't want to make a decision and then all of a sudden change it, because you've seen that happen in this game.

''Obviously, I'd like to know, but it's happened before to me. I've been to the very last day, and that's when things happen. You just have to prepare yourself.''

The likely pitchers to make the Sox roster: Mark Buehrle, Loaiza, Jon Garland, Schoeneweis, Dan Wright, Billy Koch, Damaso Marte, Cliff Politte, Shingo Takatsu, Kelly Wunsch, Cotts and Jackson.

The position players are Willie Harris, Jose Valentin, Juan Uribe, Paul Konerko, Frank Thomas, Joe Crede, Ross Gload, Miguel Olivo, Sandy Alomar Jr., Carlos Lee, Aaron Rowand, Timo Perez and Magglio Ordonez

I wasn't really for Cotts being on the MLB team at first, figuring it'd make more sense to get him more innings in Charlotte. However, I think I'm changed on that. There's been quite a few great starters that have started in the pen in the bigs. It will be a good way for him to get experience, by facing big league batters every night out of the pen.

I really would wish they would give the 4th starter job to Cotts and trade Schoenweis to a team, the Yankees, that need a lefty. If Cotts is pitching we need him to be starting. That's the only way he'll improve as a starting pitcher. We did this with Garland, put him in the bullpen for most of the year (although he got 16 starts.) I don't think he ever recovered and his numbers fell. If Cotts is in the majors, he should be starting. He and Honel are the future Sox starters with Buehrle, they should be starting whereever they start the season.