IHSA Baseball

Lyons' target: 2nd title in a row

'03 champs need to retool offense

By Dave Surico

Tribune staff reporter

April 1, 2004, 8:23 PM CST

Lyons Township baseball has grown accustomed to the spotlight.

That's good, because it never has been more intense. The Lions say they won't be affected by the limelight or by the 2003 Class AA state championship that has made them a target.

"We've been using that phrase quite a bit—we're kind of comfortable with it," coach George Ushela said. "We just play the game and don't worry about the opponent that much. I try to get them to take what the opponents give us and not give too much back to them."

The Lions have followed their coach's directions well. The program is 97-25 during Ushela's tenure, which began with a fourth-place state finish in 2001.

The Lions became only the second team to go the high school baseball equivalent of wire to wire last season, winning the 2002 state summer-league tournament and the IHSA Class AA state championship last June. Only Andrew, in 1991-92, has equaled the feat.

Last year the Lions won the school's second state baseball title 36 years after its first. The 2003 hardware gave LT its sixth top-four state finish, tying Belleville West and Oak Park. The effects of the latest award haven't subsided.

"It's still a shock to me," junior shortstop Dan Brewer said. "Winning state is every high school athlete's dream. I look at stuff in my room at home, and it makes me want to win state again. I tell the younger guys what it felt like. I try to make them want to win as much as I do."

To repeat the lofty goal, Lyons, ranked 40th in the country in Baseball America's preseason poll, will need to execute a makeover of its offense. Graduated seniors were responsible for the vast majority of the team's school-record 59 homers. Even so, Ushela thinks his Lions have enough assets to make a run at another state title.

"We have good chemistry," he said. "We'll probably play more small ball—bunting, moving up runners. Our pitching, I think, can be as good as last year."

The defending champs will depend on experienced senior right-handers Jordan Baughman and Tom Rawski. Baughman (9-2, 1.61 ERA) won two games in the state championship series, including a complete-game, 10-strikeout performance in a 3-1 semifinal victory over Chatham Glenwood. Rawski went 7-0 with a 1.18 ERA and was on the mound for the final out of Lyons' 15-6 title-game victory over Rockford Boylan. Junior lefty Dan Sorce gives the team a potent 1-2-3 punch.

Brewer is the lone full-time returning position player, but Ushela expects contributions from five seniors: catcher Brian Flanagan, outfielder Joe Ronovsky, third baseman Dan Sabella, second baseman Jeremy Dickinson and first baseman Paul Mikulski.

"The guys behind the starters last year were mostly juniors," Ushela said. "The competition within the squad pushed guys not to be complacent. The new starters are champing at the bit after playing behind kids who were slightly better than them."

I'm glad my alma mater is doing so well. 40th in the country is pretty damn good. Good luck.

Anyone know of any hot prospects in Illinois High school baseball?

:violin :violin :violin :violin

I used to play in high school, Warren Township High School, and check out how they are still doing. They made it to the sectional finals a few years ago, but that is it. We are never really a big powerhouse.

It is unfortunate that high school baseball doesn't get same exposure as basketball and football. There are a lot of talented kids that play up north here and they never really get seen or talked about much.

It is unfortunate that high school baseball doesn't get same exposure as basketball and football. There are a lot of talented kids that play up north here and they never really get seen or talked about much.

It's because college baseball doesn't get any of attention because of the minors.

I play ihsaA baseball which is Indiana. Our team is well respected according to our coaches and we have the most wins in the past ten years for the state. And there is no spotlight for it and it pisses me off. :angry:

Wow, more wins than LaPorte? I would have never guessed that.

Wow, more wins than LaPorte?  I would have never guessed that.

That's what they tell us. I find it hard to believe but maybe we just schedule more games than them. I mean how can we have won so many games and never a state championship? (Until my junior or senior year ;) )