Warthogs Announce 25 Man Roster

Chisoxfn

Warthogs Announce 25 Man Roster

By Jason Gage

April 3, 2004

FutureSox.com

The Winston Salem Warthogs announced their opening day roster on Saturday. The Warthogs will be managed by Ken Dominguez, who is taking over for Razor Shines (New Skipper for Birmingham). They will carry 12 pitchers, 3 catchers (1 on DL), 7 infielders and 4 outfielders.

Last season the Warthogs won the Carolina League title behind a one-two punch of Kris Honel and Ryan Wing. This season, the Warthogs looks to have a very strong offensive unit.

The big names on the roster are Ryan Sweeney, Brian Anderson, and Ricardo Nanita. All three were selected in last years draft and all have considerable upside. Sweeney and Anderson opened quite a few eyes this spring. Normand Martel will be the fourth outfielder.

The infield will be led by holdover Casey Rogowski, while Pedro Lopez (2nd base) and Mike Myers (Shortstop) project as the teams double play combo. Myers and Lopez both have good tools. Troy Cameron, signed this off-season from the Joliet Jackhammers, will probably start at 3rd. The rest of the infielders are on the roster are: Tommy Nicholson, Chris Amador, and Brian Becker.

The pitching staff from Winston Salem will be the key to the Warthogs success. The offense looks like it will be capable of putting runs on the board, but the rotation doesn’t consist of any so-called “aces”. B.J. Lamura and Sean Tracey be the front end of the rotation, while Rick Hummel will be the closer. The rest of the pitchers are: Nik Lubisich, Jose Espinal, Rob Purvis, Brad Murray, Dwayne Pollock, Julio Castro, Byeong Hak An, Jason Stumm, and Paulino Reynoso.

Wally Rosa and Carlos Lee will handle the catching duties. Rosa spent last season in Winston Salem, while Carlos Lee spent the season in Great Falls. Lee is the brother of White Sox left fielder, Carlos Lee. The Warthogs will carry a 3rd catcher, Ryan Wade, who will open the season on the disabled list. Wade spent the past three seasons as a coach at Hillside Baptist College in Moore, Oklahoma.

Check out FutureSox in the coming days for a preview on the Warthogs season.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Sean Tracey will open some eyes this year. If healthy, he can be a very solid pitcher. I'm looking for a big season from Sweeney and Anderson as well. I hope P. Lopez gets the stick together. He has so much potential it's not even funny. Like Jas said he has very good tools. Hopefully he'll put it all together this year.

So The Schnur will be in Kanny then? Wasn't there also another 3rd baseman at about the same level? Grey?

Antoin Gray is who you are referring to. Kannapolis is probably about right for him. He could move up if he keeps hitting, but I think there are defensive questions about him as well.

Gray was converted to 2nd if I recall. He could probably play 3rd as well, but his arm strength isn't that good.

I agree on Tracey. I also like Dwayne Pollock and I'm assuming he'll be a starter.

I sure hope Valido plays full season, but I think your right Cerb, he must be playing short season, unless the Sox plan on having Gonzalez play for a short period and then move up to Winston Salem.

I do agree that Myers is making a pretty big jump, but he has like a .314 career average from his two seasons of rookie ball.

Trust me, Schnur will be in Kanny. Then I'm thinking in midseason he'll make the jump to Winston Salem if he's hitting the ball. Winston Salem doesn't really have anyone at 3rd base that would get in Schnur's way.

I really am intrigued about the whole Andy Gonzalez/Valido situation cause I'd like to see the Sox push Valido a bit and give him a full season in Kanny.

I'm assuming I'm going to get info on the other affiliates rosters sometime in the next day to two, so then more questions will be answered.

But I should put myself on the record to say I like Gray. He really seems like a guy thats going to flat rake the ball.

McCarthy spent spring on the Warthogs roster, so he was playing in their exhibition games, but he will start the season in Kanny.

I think he'll be one of those guys that will finish the year in Winston Salem. The Sox took things slow with Bmac last year and I think they now know they got a pretty good pitcher in him. He's not mentioned under the same breath as Honel, Cotts and Wing, but if he pitches like he has, he will be by the end of the season.

Gray was converted to 2nd if I recall.  He could probably play 3rd as well, but his arm strength isn't that good. 

I agree on Tracey.  I also like Dwayne Pollock and I'm assuming he'll be a starter. 

I sure hope Valido plays full season, but I think your right Cerb, he must be playing short season, unless the Sox plan on having Gonzalez play for a short period and then move up to Winston Salem. 

I do agree that Myers is making a pretty big jump, but he has like a .314 career average from his two seasons of rookie ball.

Valido is headed to Kannapolis, I believe...... Andy Gonzalez star may be fading....

Valido is headed to Kannapolis, I believe...... Andy Gonzalez star may be fading....

The Sox gave up pretty quick on Gonzalez then. I still think that Valido could be in line for extended Spring Training with Gonzalez being Kanny's SS. If he keeps hitting like Ceasar Izturis I wouldn't be surprised to see him converted.

The Sox gave up pretty quick on Gonzalez then. I still think that Valido could be in line for extended Spring Training with Gonzalez being Kanny's SS. If he keeps hitting like Ceasar Izturis I wouldn't be surprised to see him converted.

Valido is headed to Kanny........ that has been confirmed.

Gonzalez has attitude issues. He needs to mature.

Rex, did Gonzalez' poor hitting in 2003 cause the attitude problem, or did the attitude problem cause his sub par stats last year?

Details are sketchy, but what I hear is he is immature, not a bad kid. Has problems with pouting and getting down on himself. And apparently when he is not in the lineup he sulks and basically sits by himself, not doing the team thing, like he is mad at the world. That is vague, but I am only going on what I have heard from a few different people. I heard he has gotten suspended/disciplined a few times, but that is not confirmed.

That help at all?

Another surprise is Brian Becker's name on the roster. I was told he had been released. Not sure if he initially refused the assignment to W-S and then changed his mind or what.... Apparently there were a couple of guys that were released and then were saved a day or two later for one reason or another.

I am glad Myers got the job at SS, he is the type of player we would all appreciate. AGon is never going to hit, need to convert to a P now.

I assume Kyle Kane either made Charlotte or is history now?

Surprised Deininger and Miller stayed in Kanny, moreso on Deininger.

I am glad Myers got the job at SS, he is the type of player we would all appreciate. AGon is never going to hit, need to convert to a P now.

I assume Kyle Kane either made Charlotte or is history now?

Surprised Deininger and Miller stayed in Kanny, moreso on Deininger.

That definately surprised me. I was looking at their starting rotation thinking, where's Deininger and Miller. Those two guys with Tracey and Lamura would of been a very solid 1-4.

I'd guess they'll move up pretty quickly.