Intimidators Set Roster

Heads22

Intimidators Set Roster

By Alex Ernst

April 4, 2004

FutureSox.com

Earlier today, the Kannapolis Intimidators, Class A affiliate of the White Sox, announced their 2004 roster. The Intimidators are led by first year manager Chris Cron, who managed the Great Falls White Sox rookie league team during the 2003 season. The Intimidators will be carry 13 pitchers, 3 catchers, 6 infielders and 4 outfielders.

The Intimidator pitching staff will be led by Brian Miller, who threw the only no-hitter in Kannapolis history against Greensboro. The rest of the staff spent their 2003 seasons in Kannapolis, Bristol or Great Falls. Returning pitchers include Fabio Castro, who also split time at Bristol, Todd Deininger, Jeremy Hudson, who also played in Great Falls last year and Adam Larson. Tim Tisch and Ehren Wasserman also split time between Kannapolis and Bristol last year. Frasier Dizard, John Hurd, Brandon McCarthy and Mike Moat head southeast from Great Falls, where they all spent their 2003 seasons. Daniel Haigwood and Ryan Rodriguez are coming off of injuries and look to help give the Intimidators a veteran presence in 2004.

The catching corps is led by Gustavo Molina, who is returning for another year in Kannapolis. Charlie Lisk is returning from a disappointing season while splitting time between Kannapolis and Great Falls. Lisk was #46 in the FutureSox Top 50 countdown, and the only catcher on the list, but his abysmal season last year puts him right in the middle of a dogfight with Molina for the majority of the catching duties. Cesar Castillo will be the third catcher for the intimidators this season.

The Intimidator infield is abundant with talent and youth, but low on experience. Andy Gonzalez will be the lone returnee of the infield corps. Robert Valido is the lone promotion from Bristol, while Brandon Bounds, Antonin Gray, Chris Kelly and Micah Schnurstein all make the trip from Great Falls. Gonzalez and Valido are both shortstops and both have been highly regarded by the organization. Kelly was a sixth round draft pick in 2003 and showed some pop with the bat while in college.

2004 Kannapolis Player of the Year and Australian Thomas Brice will lead the Kannapolis outfielders in 2004. He will be joined by third round draft pick Clint King, Seth Morris and Chris Young. King was an All-American at Southern Miss and garnered numerous honors in college due to his hitting prowess. Brice has shown good plate discipline over the last few years. However, with the glut of outfield talent ahead of these players in the organization, they really need to excel if they want any shot at a promotion.

The Kannapolis coaching staff returns experience from within the Sox organization with a combined thirty years of coaching experience with manager Chris Cron, pitching coach Sean Snedeker and hitting coach Brandon Moore. Snedeker is the only coach returning from the 2003 team.

Damn, Kanny is loaded this year. There pitching staff looks awesome with McCarthy, Dizard, Haigwood, R. Rodriguez, Deininger, Tisch, etc. There OF is really good too w/ King and Young in it. Bounds and Schnur are two of my favorite guys in the minor leagues, and Gray is pretty damn good too. Lastly, I hope Chris Kelly has a good year. He really struggled last year, although, like the article said, he did put up pretty good #'s in college.

Are we sure Chris Kelly was a 6th round pick in 2003, wasn't that Chris Getz, the SS who went to Wake Forest and didn't sign w/ the Sox?

I'd thought Chris Kelly was a free agent they'd signed (undrafted), could be wrong though.

Are we sure Chris Kelly was a 6th round pick in 2003, wasn't that Chris Getz, the SS who went to Wake Forest and didn't sign w/ the Sox?

I'd thought Chris Kelly was a free agent they'd signed (undrafted), could be wrong though.

Everything I've seen, including the official roster, says sixth round.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...lub_context=cws

Kelly was an early pick, I know that much. He's out of Pepperdine and played first and outfield there.

Look out for King, he really started raking the ball late last season. The guy put up MONSTER numbers in college. He's a smaller stature guy, kind of like Rowand, but I think he'll put up some fantastic numbers.

And man, Kanny has a stacked roster, imo.

BTW, outstanding pitching staff there, how many good starters are there.

Haigwood, Rodriguez, McCarthy, Tisch, Dizard, Miller, Deininger and even Fabio Castro (had 2 nice starts here at end of last season)

Guess Deininger, Castro and maybe Tisch or Dizard go back to pen. Man, what a problem to have. Even Moats and Hurd have good potential.

I guess the one real hard throwing JC LH we had at Great Falls last year stays behind, cannot recall his name, was like a 9th or 10th rounder, Rust or something like that?

Haigwood, Rodriguez, McCarthy, Tisch, Dizard, Miller, Deininger and even Fabio Castro (had 2 nice starts here at end of last season)

Guess Deininger, Castro and maybe Tisch or Dizard go back to pen. Man, what a problem to have. Even Moats and Hurd have good potential.

I guess the one real hard throwing JC LH we had at Great Falls last year stays behind, cannot recall his name, was like a 9th or 10th rounder, Rust or something like that?

Russ..... John, maybe?

I'd think that somehow, pretty quickly, one of those pitchers will be on his way up to Winston Salem.

But ya, I really want to get to Kanny to watch that rotation, some really good arms. I'm guessing Tisch will stay in the bullpen (Isn't that what he did last year?).

I hope Dizzard starts, I like him to a Zito (Don't ask me why, but I just like him a lot and I'm not saying he'll be as good as Zito) and I hope the Sox dn't mess with Deininger or Castro. I like those guys a lot and I'm all for Castro being in the rotation now.

That'd be him, kind of expected him to maybe close out of pen, may have been one of hardest throwers we signed last year. He and Nachreiner will start out in GFs again I guess.

Russ was supposed to be one of the best JC pitchers out there. He's pretty raw though. I know the Sox have a lot of work to do with his delivery, so I'm assuming they figure another year is better for him.

Nothing wrong with another short season for Nach, considering he's out of high school, plus he was shallacked last year. Those two were probably the two hardest throwing guys the Sox drafted.

Tisch started most of time last year I thought, I could be wrong, Castro was full time reliever until end of year, and Deininger was reliever until we unloaded some pitchers in trades before deadline, and only then did he start, that is why I assume relievers from them three. I would honestly like to see Miller and his 2 good pitches go to closer or at least setup, maybe that is possible. I sure want Haigwood and Rodriguez starting.

I'm excited to see what Haigwood and Rodriguez do. Maybe the Sox will start the two of them in the pen, so they can build their stamina back and then when they are ready to jump into the rotation, the Sox will adjust their rosters?

I'm thinking if they feel they can convert Munoz, then they might as well convert Castro.

Speaking of which, where the heck is Orionny Lopez? He's not going to have another short season is he?

Both of those guys have some big time upside. At least neither of them had injuries related to their arm. If they can get back on the track they were (pre-injury) then the system is looking even better.

I'm going to have to start saving for another road trip this summer. I gotta see these guys play.