Sox lose opening game!

cwsox

Very depressing day, and tomorrow will be just as dismal. I swear to god when we start all this talk about "starting the season strong" Sox end up playing corpseball. Although a win Wed. is essential, going into NY with our bullpen blowing up is a very troubling event.

I am much happier the offense looked good today than worried about the final result. I think bullpen problems are much easier to fix via the trade than offensive or starting rotation problems. I mean the Red Sox were blowing games left and right at the beginning of last year and they managed to shore things up.

I also just am trying my hardest to not let this get me down.

Marte didn't have no break on his breaking ball or velocity on his fastball, thats why he got hit. His s*** will pick up through the following games, Koch was hitting 96 in his brief work in the 9th and everyone was worrying about his pitchers.

Politte should NOT of been pitching in the ninth.

We have so many ? marks with our pitching that no lead will ever be safe

What will we do when we have Garland, Scho and Wright pitching.....if we have to get the BP going every day after the 6th/7th inning we are in trouble with Koch, & Zero in that pen

Colon will be missed big time when we have to keep going to our BP every day/night

While I'm totally pissed, I agree with Steve...

We threw our best out there - Koch just got a strikeout, so we went with our best - Marte. You cannot second guess that decision. Marte didn't come through - that's his fault, no one elses, really.

I feel like my balls are in my friggin throat right now. It's terrible. I swear, I better get some good news tommorow in hearing the Hawks win the lottery for the number 1 pick, or else I'm really not going to be a fun character at school tommorow....

Koch hit 96.. but he had NO control. He was a foot off the plate several times. What did he toss... 3 strikes??? What friggin good is 96 mph to us when it's being launched over the wall...?? Or loading the bases..??

Why not leave Cliff in...?? He was doing well.

Marte... I just don't know. He had a bad inning. It happens.

I can hear the screaming "the sky is falling, the sky is falling... "

Sure sounds like that's what many of you are doing.

:headshake

Koch hit 96.. but he had NO control. He was a foot off the plate several times. What did he toss... 3 strikes??? What friggin good is 96 mph to us when it's being launched over the wall...?? Or loading the bases..??

Why not leave Cliff in...?? He was doing well.

Marte... I just don't know. He had a bad inning. It happens.

I can hear the screaming "the sky is falling, the sky is falling... "

Sure sound like that's what many of you are doing.

:headshake

;)

We have so many ? marks with our pitching that no lead will ever be safe

What will we do when we have Garland, Scho and Wright pitching.....if we have to get the BP going every day after the 6th/7th inning we are in trouble with Koch, & Zero in that pen

Colon will be missed big time when we have to keep going to our BP every day/night

You are wrong. Buehrle is a horse, considering he has averaged 230 innings the past 3 years. Loaiza will probably not give us as good of results as last year, but he will probably pick up some more innings. Garland will almost undoubtedly throw over 200 innings this year. Scott Schoenweis will get 175-200 innings in(unless of course he is demoted/traded, and those are very serious possibilities), and Dan Wright will throw more innings from the #5 spot then we had from the #5 spot all of last year and will be better then everyone we had from the #5 spot all of last year. I see the rotation easily picking up 1000 of the 1458 innings(give or take due to extra inning games and rain-shortened games), and they sure as hell could get 1100 of those innings(Buehrle throws 240, Loaiza gets 220, Garland gets 220, Scho gets 200, Wright gets 220), though I wouldn't count on it. That leaves the bullpen with 400-500 innings(or about 57-83 innings per reliever, and obviously, someone will have around 100 from the pen, and others around 50, and there will be others who are used in the pen who are sent down/traded/released).

We will have no problem picking up Colon's innings at all if you ask me, and we will not go to the bullpen in the 6th or 7th inning every game. This was Buehrle first start of the season. Ozzie did the smart thing by not throwing him too much. Unless you are totally cruising and are in a complete zone out there, you will never go the distance on opening day.

Steff, would you rather have Koch throwing 96 with no control, or throwing 92 right down the heart of the plate? Not sure about you, but I'll take door #1. Also, Politte damn near took Ken Harvey's head off 2-3 times in his at-bat. He was as bad as Billy Koch that inning. Agreed on Marte though.

I want him having control. I'd rather have a 90 mph breaking ball.. or even an 88 mph curve versus a 96 mph... maybe it could be right down the middle or a foot off the plate.

But that's just me...

Ya, Steff I agree with everything you said, excpet about Cliff, there is NO WAY you leave him in, after 2 stright walks, and almost taking harvey's head off.

I'm talking about him coming in at the start of the 9th. I agree he should have come out after the 1st walk.. but I see no reason why he shouldn't have started the 9th as I have read several folks here say he should not have.