guess who pitched 6 scoreless innings

Ishmookie

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wells looked absolutely mature out there today for the Pirates. I remember a highlight when he had 2 runners on, and he struke out the hard of the order for the Phillies. He is an ace in waiting IMHO..

I don't know if he is an ace.... But he's a hell of a #2 starter... I never left the kipper's bandwagon.

He is an ace in waiting IMHO..

If we are 2001, this statement is correct.

It is 2004, and this statement is false from the standpoint that he already is an ace. He has done his waiting.

I wish we could have Kipper back. I would give damn near anything to have him back. In fact, this is the list of whom I would NOT trade for Kip Wells(these being minor leaguers of course...I wouldn't do something stupid like trade Maggs for him):

Reed

Honel

Sweeney

Anderson

sorry. i didnt know that u were so sensitive i'll stay away from the subject next time.

LOL...naw man..I wasn't tryin to be a dick..It's just that trade was 2 years ago. It was a horrible trade. Just didn't wanna be reminded of it right after a tough white sox loss...Sorry if it seemed like I was havin an attitude..

LOL...naw man..I wasn't tryin to be a dick..It's just that trade was 2 years ago.  It was a horrible trade.  Just didn't wanna be reminded of it right after a tough white sox loss...Sorry if it seemed like I was havin an attitude..

it's alright. It annoys the heck out of me when people and orginizations live in the past. (i.e. the bulls)

U had me thinkin Tub Of Goo, then Todd Ritchie. But givin up on Wells, should show every1 why need still patience in a pitcher like Jon Garland. If we giv up on him too early, it can really come back to haunt ya.

U had me thinkin Tub Of Goo, then Todd Ritchie. But givin up on Wells, should show every1 why need still patience in a pitcher like Jon Garland. If we giv up on him too early, it can really come back to haunt ya.

wells was washed up... he was 24 when we got rid of him... Garland is 24 now... the writing is on the wall... ship out JG :rolleyes:

I'm tired of hearing about f***ing Kip Wells.....just because he succeded in Pitt doesn't mean that he'd do well here. How do you know that he didn't turn around because of a coach he had in Pittsburgh. Besides, I still think it was the move to make at the time. We needed another starter. I may not have the facts on this, but we ened to stop b****ing about it. What says that Wells and Fogg wouldn't be in Charlotte right now if they were still in our system.

I'm tired of hearing about f***ing Kip Wells.....just because he succeded in Pitt doesn't mean that he'd do well here. How do you know that he didn't turn around because of a coach he had in Pittsburgh. Besides, I still think it was the move to make at the time. We needed another starter. I may not have the facts on this, but we ened to stop b****ing about it. What says that Wells and Fogg wouldn't be in Charlotte right now if they were still in our system.

:notworthy :notworthy

.just because he succeded in Pitt doesn't mean that he'd do well here. Besides, I still think it was the move to make at the time. We needed another starter.

Not only that! It's not like we didn't give Wells a fair shake! Heck, we gave him a ton of chances. Too many walks, and got into too much trouble, and got hammered a lot. He has great stuff, but inconsistency killed him. Right now we're on our second Kip Wells...................... Danny Wright! Same issues. I hope he can prove me wrong! I'm rather getting frustrated about high prospects that hurt us while we wait and wait for/if a maturity process ever takes place!

Yes, it does! Kip Wells was a #1 pick and was traded becasue of a GM who panicked. There is no Sox fan that ever forgets how we got screwed. And we get screwed every year. Now let's play for a win on Wed!

Did anyone honestly, here, as a Sox fan, see the potential for the numbers he put up in Pitt as a member of the Sox? I sure as hell didn't.

I did... He has not done anything that spectacular... He has been a good #2 starter... He could move into the upper echelon this season however.

Here's his numbers from while he was here.

Year Team G GS W L SV CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB K ERA WHIP BAA   
1999 CHA 7 7 4 1 0 0 0 35.2 33 17 16 2 15 29 4.04 1.35 .248   
2000 CHA 20 20 6 9 0 0 0 98.2 126 76 66 15 58 71 6.02 1.86 .312   
2001 CHA 40 20 10 11 0 0 0 133.1 145 80 71 14 61 99 4.79 1.54 .281  

He never started more than 20 games here.... only pitched a total of 268 innings and was still a prospect... As I recall the trade was pretty much Kip or Garland -- They also wanted Rauch, but he was untouchable back then-- at the time, I would have preferred to give up Garland, If for nothing else that he was associated with the cubs organization. But in reality, I wanted to keep everyone, and grow pitchers within our own system, ala Oakland. It may have meant not visiting the playoffs in 2001, or 2002, or 2003..... Oh wait that's what happened..

I expect a simillar drop in numbers for Jon garland this year... He's 24 been in the majors almost as long as the Kipper... he was ruched to the bigs, and probably stunted his growth a little, but he's at the point where he either figures it out or bounces around the league... I'm betting on the former rather than the latter.

Did anyone honestly, here, as a Sox fan, see the potential for the numbers he put up in Pitt as a member of the Sox? I sure as hell didn't.

Absolutely I did......... The Sox flat out gave up on Kip Wells and traded him knowing it could come back to bite them in the ass. It did just that.

At the time of that trade, Wells was very highly regarded and just needed patience. Young pitchers need time to mature and he did not get that time with the Sox. Josh Fogg was coming off a solid season in AAA where he worked as both a starter and out of the bullpen and he had a great September with the Sox. He definitely had value, even though I don't think the Sox ever felt he would be a starter. He could have been helpful in the bullpen, however.

Add to that, Sean Lowe who was coming off a very nice season for the Sox where he was valuable as a long reliever and a spot starter. Despite the fact he never did anything for Pittsburgh, he had value at the time.

That trade was highway robbery for Pittsburgh. Todd Ritchie was coming off a good half season and had never proven anything beyond that. The fact is, that trade was being discussed a few days before it was finalized and Brian Giles was included in those talks. The players involved may have changed slightly, but the principals of the trade were Wells, Ritchie AND Giles. You can't underestimate the value Fogg and Lowe had at the time of that trade based on what they have done since.

I'll never forget when I heard about the trade, the first words out of my mouth were "Where the hell is Brian Giles?" .... I was stunned Giles wasn't part of that deal. That said, it's history and cannot be changed.