2004 All FutureSox Team

Chisoxfn

2004 All FutureSox Team

April 6, 2004

FutureSox.com

The minor league season is less then a week away and it’s time for FutureSox to unveil a brand new feature: the All FutureSox team. This team is reserved for the best players at each position in the White Sox minor leagues. At the end of the season FutureSox will name their Postseason All FutureSox team as well as the FutureSox Player of the Year and Pitcher of the Year.

1st Base - Brandon Bounds, 22 – Bats: Left – Throws: Right

Current Team: Kannapolis Intimidators

2003 Team: Great Falls White Sox

2003 Stats: .326 AVG, 9 HR, 47 RBI, 18 BB, 58 K

The Sox don’t really have a stand out first base prospect, but Bounds has done nothing but hit over the past two seasons. This will be his first season in Kannapolis after playing the previous three for Arizona, Bristol and Great Falls. We look for Bounds to continue to mash the ball in Kannapolis and establish himself as the best first base prospect in the organization.

Runner Up: Casey Rogowski

2nd Base - Antoin Gray, 22 – R/R

2003 Stats: .292 AVG, 8 HR, 43 RBI, 49 BB, 62 K

Antoin Gray tore the cover off the ball for Great Falls last season. There are concerns about his defense, but offensively Gray is a hitting machine. Look for him to hit over .300, while displaying plenty of pop for a second baseman. Last season he hit .292, with eight homers and 43 RBIs.

Runner Up: Ruddy Yan

3rd Base - Micah Schnurstein, 19 – R/R

2003 Stats: .264 AVG, 1 HR, 16 RBI, 11 BB, 39 K

Injuries hampered Schnurstein’s sophomore season, but he’s healthy now and his numbers should closely resemble his rookie season (.332, 3 HR). He is incredibly young, is a slick fielder, and has a beautiful swing. He should compete for the South Atlantic League batting title.

Runner Up: Ryan Hankins

Shorstop: Robert Valido, 18 – R/R

2003 Team: Bristol White Sox

2003 Stats: .307 AVG, 6 HR, 31 RBI, 17 SB, 17 BB, 28 K

Valido will split time at the start of the season with Andy Gonzalez, but should become the full-time player once Gonzalez is promoted to Winston-Salem. Valido flashed his offensive potential last season and is already a tremendous defensive player.

Runner Up: Mike Myers

Catcher – Jamie Burke, 32 - R/R

2004 Team: Charlotte Knights

2003 Team: Charlotte Knights

2003 Stats: .322 AVG, 6 HR, 50 RBI, 20 BB, 39 K

Burke was the last White Sox to be optioned down and should put up good numbers in Charlotte (AAA). He will share time with Ryan Hankins and Mike Rivera behind the plate and play 1st and 3rd. Burke will get plenty of at bats and will be one of the key figures, in what looks to be, a revamped Charlotte offense.

Runner Up: Charles Lisk

Outfielder - Jeremy Reed, 22 – L/L

Current Team: Charlotte Knights

2003 Team: Birmingham Barons; Winston-Salem Warthogs

2003 Stats (Birmingham): .333 AVG, 4 HR, 52 RBI, 27 SB, 41 BB, 17 K

2003 Stats (Winston Salem): .409 AVG, 7 HR, 43 RBI, 18 SB, 29 BB, 19 K

Reed wasn’t named Topps Minor League Player of the Year last season for no reason. Reed is one of the best pure hitters in minor league baseball and should continue his assault on minor league pitching this time in Charlotte. Hitting aside, he is also a good defensive outfielder and an extremely intelligent base runner.

Outfielder – Ryan Sweeney, 19 – L/L

Current Team: Winston Salem Warthogs

2003 Teams: Bristol White Sox; Great Falls White Sox

2003 Stats (Bristol Sox): .313 AVG, 2 HR, 5 RBI, 7 BB, 10 K

2003 Stats (Great Falls White Sox): .353 AVG, 0 HR, 4 RBI, 2 BB, 3 K

Sweeney created quite the buzz this spring and for good reason. Because of his naturally smooth swing and good athletic ability, Sweeney should put up good numbers. Being the youngest player on the Warthogs roster, he may be a little over-matched at first, but his talent will shine through.

Outfielder – Chris Young, 20 – R/R

2003 Teams: Bristol White Sox; Great Falls White Sox

2003 Stats (Bristol Sox): .290 AVG, 7 HR, 28 RBI, 21 SB, 23 BB, 40 K

2003 Stats (Great Falls White Sox): .176 AVG, 0 HR, 0 RBI, 0 SB, 1 BB, 10 K

While Young isn’t the first outfielder you think of, he’s poised for a breakout year. Young is a good defensive outfielder with great range. Offensively he’s still developing, but with tremendous speed, and an improving swing, which generates power; he’s our pick to have a huge season.

Runner Ups: Brian Anderson, Joe Borchard, and Ricardo Nanita

Pitcher – Kris Honel, 21 – RHP

Current Team: Birmingham Barons

2003 Team: Winston-Salem Warthogs; Birmingham Barons

2003 Stats: 9-7, 3.11 ERA, 133 IP, 122 H, 122 K, 42 BB

Honel has put up great numbers ever since the White Sox selected him 16th overall in 2001 draft. Honel features a good fastball and a devastating knuckle-curve. He’ll start the season in Birmingham and has all the tools to be one of the best pitchers in the Southern League.

Pitcher – Brandon McCarthy, 20 – RHP

2003 Stats: 9-4, 3.65 ERA, 101 IP, 105 H, 125 K, 15 BB

McCarthy wasn’t the most talked about pitcher of the 2002 Draft (Royce Ring), but the early returns show that he may have been the best. McCarthy has done nothing but dominate since entering the Sox organization. He’s had a tremendous K/IP ratio (125/101 last season) throughout his amateur and professional career and also has good control for a youngster (15 BB last season). McCarthy will be one of the many aces on Kannapolis staff and should continue his assault on opposing batters.

Pitcher – Ryan Wing, 22 – LHP

Current Team: Birmingham Barons

2003 Team: Winston Salem Warthogs

2003 Stats: 9-7, 2.98 ERA, 145 IP, 116 H, 107 K, 67 BB

Wing is slated to spend the first month of the season on the disabled list, due to stiffness in his shoulder. Reports are that his injury is minor and that was enough of a reassurance for us. Wing, like McCarthy, has pitched tremendous since joining the organization while taking a backseat to Kris Honel. Wing, a lefty, could put up similar numbers in Birmingham to last season’s ace lefty, Neal Cotts. Don’t look for Wing to get as many strikeouts, but look for him to have a similar ERA and a lot of wins.

Runner Ups: Enemencio Pacheco, Arnaldo Munoz, and Jon Rauch

Note: Outfielders will be chosen like they are in the All Star game, where the three best are selected, regardless of their position. The outfield was the toughest of the positions to pick, because of the tremendous depth. Three pitchers will also make the team.

I should emphasize how difficult it was to pick the outfield position. Young is good, but it was really hard not picking Brian Anderson or Joe Borchard. Both have more upside (Young is no slouch though), but I see Young putting up tremendous numbers in Kanny.

I should also point out that while Valido made quite a few errors last season (15 in 58 games), he is a good defensive shortstop. Young shortstops tend to make quite a few errors at the lower level, but he's smoot fielding and has a strong arm. Most scouts thought of him as one of the best defensive shortstops in the draft.

It was more so a hunch. I think Anderson will be rushed this year and it will have a negative effect on his stats. I do think he'll be a very good major league player. I think the Sox will be very patient with Young (With all the great outfielders, he'll be moved along slowly), so he should be more productive.

In this article I look at stats and a little bit at projections as who is going to make the team. And as you saw with Young, and potentially even Bounds, it isn't necessarily the guy with the most upside that made it.

Just as a side note, my sleeper pick if he gets good playing time will be Scott Bikowski....the man led the SL in average last year.

Doubles machine, but a little too old for my liking. Look out for LaMura if he ever puts everything together.

The Sox simply took flyers on guys that were really leaning hard to college or wanted big time money. Can't blame the Sox, they took their chances, just like they did when they nabbed Sweeney in the 2nd.

Overall I think they had a good draft.

I'm sure if they offered quite a bit more it would of happened, but I also think at least a few of them felt they were better off going to college. Its very probable that all of the guys you mentioned will be taken higher after 2-3 years of college baseball.

Neither would make this team. However, I do think Rupe is a pretty stinking good prospect. I think Ring is solid, but was overrated because he was taken in the first round.

Joe Blanton, who KW passed up on and the whole incident is pretty well publicized from MoneyBall, would of been a much better selection.

Rupe is the guy the Sox will miss, imo. I've been saying this since day one, so we'll see if I'm right. :)

I think in the future were going to do some articles on different areas of the team. Relievers dont' get talked about enough, but Bullard and Baj are definately some of the best we got in the organization.

Good idea Jreed fan and if anyone ever has any suggestions or pieces they would like to see, just tell us :)

Think about moving Sweeney to 1B, I know he is a good OF, but what would be wrong with a stud Defensive 1Bman, Bounds is never going to pan out, neither will Rogo. Sweeney as close as we have to a future 1Bman. Then Anderson can be in the OF or Nanita.

Gray is no good defensively yet either, maybe he pans out, maybe not. Maybe Lopez should be the 2Bman.

Great article! :headbang

I think Bounds could be pretty good, although he is a little old (22) to just be in Kanny. Although, all he has done is hit since he joined the organization, like the article said. Since you mentioned that you think that Young will have a breakout year this year, I would like to say that two pitchers that I think could have breakout years are Daniel Haigwood and Ryan Rodriguez. Last year, neither of them pitched b/c they were injured. Although, only Rodriguez's injury was arm related. Haigwood tore his ACL. Lastly, Sweeney has a really strong arm, and we wouldn't want that to go to waste with him at 1B. OF is a good position for him.

While Sweeney may move to 1st, soley because of the strenght in the outfield (I still find it unlikely; I think Reed is moved to 1st before he is) but since he is an outfielder I wanted to keep him at that position.

Also, I like Lopez more as a prospect then Gray, but I think Gray is one of those guys that will rake the ball.

It was hard seperating what I think a guy can do in the majors with what kind of numbers and play they will have with their specific team. With Lopez, I think he'll improve offensively while Gray will hit the cover off the ball although I agree he has some definate concerns defensively.

Think about moving Sweeney to 1B, I know he is a good OF, but what would be wrong with a stud Defensive 1Bman, Bounds is never going to pan out, neither will Rogo. Sweeney as close as we have to a future 1Bman. Then Anderson can be in the OF or Nanita.

Gray is no good defensively yet either, maybe he pans out, maybe not. Maybe Lopez should be the 2Bman.

While there is talk that Sweeney might eventually move to 1B, at this time he is still an outfielder and should be ranked as one.

While the odds are certainly against Bounds and Rogowski(as they are for all prospects), that doesn't mean you should rule them out. I have been a fan of Rogowski's for a while because he is a complete player. He has shown the ability to hit for average, hit for power, draw walks, steal bases(rare for a 1B), and plays very good D(from what I am told). He had a bit of a disappointing season last year, but he is still young and giving up on a guy before he turns 23 is just plain stupid IMO.

In regards to Bounds, all this guy has done is hit. Granted he was a little old for rookie ball the past 2 years, but that doesn't mean that he should be ignored. I am really looking forward to seeing what he can do in A ball this year. If he continues to hit like he did in rookie ball, than he could develop into one of the better position prospects in this organization, so saying that he has no chance is completely incorrect(although you are welcome to your opinion). The fact is that you can say that about almost every prospect and be right almost all the time, but to make that judgement on guys as young as Rogowski and Bounds who have both shown good potential isn't fair.

I also really like Gray and want to see what he can do in A ball. He didn't get much attention in college despite his impressive stats because he played along side Weeks, but he could end up being a real steal in this draft. For some reason I think about Marcus Giles when I think of Gray. Maybe because they are similar size wise, are both average at best defensively, and both hit a ton. We will see if he defense develops, but I can definately see him reaching the majors. As my college coach always told me, if you can hit, than we will find a position for you.

I think Lopez could be a decent player, and if he was listed instead of Gray I wouldn't have complained, but I think Gray has a better chance of making it because of his ability to hit.

Jason, you realize you forgot a catcher? Or are you trying to make a statement about catching depth in the organization. Also, Barons roster will be up shortly on FutureSox.

Foolish me...God, school is really getting to me. I'll have that up later tonight.