White Sox - Yankees Preview

BobDylan

i think this will be an interesting series for our pitchers. hopefully guys like wright and scho can keep us in the ballgame. also its good we get them out of the way early in the season.

Well, win or not, we'll know how good we are after leaving NY.

Looking at how we fare against their pitchers:

Vazquez: Only Timo, Uribe, and Jose have faced him. Timo is the only one with more than 4 at-bats.

Contreras: Only Frank and Carlos have more than 3 at-bats and it isn't enough to get a good read.

Osborne: No one on the team has faced him.

Mussina: Team batting avergae of .295 against him. :headbang Frank is 28-70 with 8 homers off of him. Carlos struggles with him only 4-23. Even Willie is 4-7 against him!

Now for out pitchers against their hitters:

Schoeneweis: Wow, he gets killed. Team batting avergae of .324 against him. :o Luckily only 2 guys have gone deep off of him(ARod and Bernie, each once).

Garland: The Yanks also hit him well, but who don't they hit well. They are 19-63 as a team, but only one homer(take a guess who it way...ARod).

Buehrle: Buehrle seems to do a pretty good job against the Yanks. They are 21-93, for a team batting average of .226. ARod is pitiful against him, 1-11. Posada is also only 1-9. In only one start against New York last year Buehrle went 7 strong with only two earned runs.

Wright: The Yanks are 17 for 69 when facing Dan, which comes out to a .246 average. In one game against the Yanks he compiled 5 innings and one earned. Not bad for Dan.

Althought the game isn't played on paper I just wanted to show how our pitchers performed against them last year and vice versa.

Looking at how we fare against their pitchers:

Vazquez: Only Timo, Uribe, and Jose have faced him.  Timo is the only one with more than 4 at-bats.

Contreras: Only Frank and Carlos have more than 3 at-bats and it isn't enough to get a good read. 

Osborne: No one on the team has faced him.

Mussina: Team batting avergae of .295 against him. :headbang  Frank is 28-70 with 8 homers off of him.  Carlos struggles with him only 4-23.  Even Willie is 4-7 against him!

Now for out pitchers against their hitters:

Schoeneweis: Wow, he gets killed.  Team batting avergae of .324 against him.  :o Luckily only 2 guys have gone deep off of him(ARod and Bernie, each once). 

Garland: The Yanks also hit him well, but who don't they hit well.  They are 19-63 as a team, but only one homer(take a guess who it way...ARod). 

Buehrle: Buehrle seems to do a pretty good job against the Yanks.  They are 21-93, for a team batting average of .226.  ARod is pitiful against him, 1-11.  Posada is also only 1-9.  In only one start against New York last year Buehrle went 7 strong with only two earned runs.

Wright: The Yanks are 17 for 69 when facing Dan, which comes out to a .246 average.  In one game against the Yanks he compiled 5 innings and one earned.  Not bad for Dan.

Althought the game isn't played on paper I just wanted to show how our pitchers performed against them last year and vice versa.

Thanks for the legwork willie...

I was confident going into this series until I saw our limitted experience vs. the first three starters.... We all know how well we crush pitching that we haven't seen before....

that is so last year!

No, it's 2nd half of 2000 as well as 2001, 2002 and 2003.

And if Sox hitters don't start picking up on the spin earlier, managing the SZ better and shortening/leveling their swings....it will happen AGAIN.

The book is out of every Sox hitter. Hell, outside of Ordonez and Crede, everyone is trying to pull off/uppercut the ball -- on 0-2/1-2 counts even! That makes it easier on all pitchers, let alone those we haven't seen before.

Sometimes I wonder if Sox hitters do their home-work or just stroll up there with a see-n-hit approach.

No, it's 2nd half of 2000 as well as 2001, 2002 and 2003.   

And if Sox hitters don't start picking up on the spin earlier, managing the SZ better and shortening/leveling their swings....it will happen AGAIN. 

The book is out of every Sox hitter. Hell, outside of Ordonez and Crede, everyone is trying to pull off/uppercut the ball -- on 0-2/1-2 counts even!    That makes it easier on all pitchers, let alone those we haven't seen before.

Sometimes I wonder if Sox hitters do their home-work or just stroll up there with a see-n-hit approach.

I didn't see game 2 against KC, but in game 1 it saw what seemed to be a lot of situational hitting. Maybe that habit they had of swinging for the fences will become a thing of the past under Ozzie.