Winston-Salem

SouthSide2004

Here's is a link for a pretty good Winston-Salem newspaper website for anyone who is interested:

Winston-Salem Journal

An article from a couple days ago listed the starting lineup for opening day along with the regular season rotation. Here's what they had:

1. Ricardo Nanita, LF

2. Pedro Lopez, SS

3. Ryan Sweeney, RF

4. Brian Anderson, CF

5. Casey Rogowski, 1B

6. Brian Becker, DH

7. Troy Cameron, 3B

8. Carlos Lee, C

9. Chris Amador, 2B

#1: Rob Purvis

#2: Byeong An

#3: BJ Lamura

#4: Nik Lubisich

#5: Sean Tracey

A couple of interesting things that I noticed. First, I am glad to see that they are showing a lot of respect towards the younger guys like Anderson, Sweeney, Nanita and Lopez. This should give them a great chance to have big seasons.

Another interesting thing is that Chris Amador is starting at 2B and Carlos Lee is starting at C. Amador has always been an extremely athletic player with an insane amount of speed, so it's nice to see he will be given a chance to prove his worth. Lee starting surprises me because the other catcher, Wally Rosa, played the entire season last year with Winston-Salem. Hopefully, Lee can be a good offensive player coming out of the catcher spot.

The one thing that seems really strange to me is that Paulino Reynoso is not in the rotation. He was converted to a pitcher in one of the past two years, and he did pretty well for Kannapolis last season. He has pretty good stuff for a lefty, but maybe they think he would make a better reliever. I would love to hear anybody else's thoughts on the team.

The rotation, in my opinion, is the worst of the four teams. Purvis was one of our first round picks from the infamous 1999 draft (along with Jason Stumm, Matt Ginter and Brian West) and was the only one who seriously struggled in the minors. Now, at the age of 26 (almost 27), he looks like he has figured out how to pitch, but it is probably too late for him unless he dominates and can make it up to AAA by the end of the year.

Byeong An, 23, actually made it to AA last year and pitched pretty well. He kind of got caught up in a numbers game, but needs dominate in his second season for the Warthogs if he wants to make a name for himself.

BJ Lamura, 23, is probably the best overall pitching prospect in the rotation. He was a fifth round pick a couple of years ago and has pretty good stuff. I believe he had problems with his control last year with Kannapolis, but he could be poised for a breakout season.

Nik Lubisich, 24, is a left-handed swingman. He has had some success in past seasons as both a starter and a reliever, but he doesn't have a really high upside.

Sean Tracey, 23, is a interesting prospect. He started last year in Kannapolis, struggled and was sent down to Great Falls where he did much better. From what I heard, he has good stuff, but it's still strange that he was sent to Winston-Salem this year. He could really go either way this year, but I gotta think the White Sox have a reason to move him high A ball.

The bullpen has some really good arms in it. Rick Hummel, the brother of former White Sox Tim Hummel, has a blazing fastball and will probably be the closer. He pitched really well last year and could move to AA pretty fast. Jason Stumm and Julio Castro are the top two setup men, and two of the better reliever prospects in the system. Castro was converted to a starter in the past few years, so he should continue to get better and better. The other guy worth watching is Paulino Reynoso, who is making the transition from starter to reliever. He might turn out to be a stud left-hander in the bullpen, and he might return to the rotation if one of the other pitchers struggle.

The rotation, in my opinion, is the worst of the four teams.  Purvis was one of our first round picks from the infamous 1999 draft (along with Jason Stumm, Matt Ginter and Brian West) and was the only one who seriously struggled in the minors.  Now, at the age of 26 (almost 27), he looks like he has figured out how to pitch, but it is probably too late for him unless he dominates and can make it up to AAA by the end of the year.

Byeong An, 23, actually made it to AA last year and pitched pretty well.  He kind of got caught up in a numbers game, but needs dominate in his second season for the Warthogs if he wants to make a name for himself.

BJ Lamura, 23, is probably the best overall pitching prospect in the rotation.  He was a fifth round pick a couple of years ago and has pretty good stuff.  I believe he had problems with his control last year with Kannapolis, but he could be poised for a breakout season.

Nik Lubisich, 24, is a left-handed swingman.  He has had some success in past seasons as both a starter and a reliever, but he doesn't have a really high upside.

Sean Tracey, 23, is a interesting prospect.  He started last year in Kannapolis, struggled and was sent down to Great Falls where he did much better.  From what I heard, he has good stuff, but it's still strange that he was sent to Winston-Salem this year.  He could really go either way this year, but I gotta think the White Sox have a reason to move him high A ball.

The bullpen has some really good arms in it.  Rick Hummel, the brother of former White Sox Tim Hummel, has a blazing fastball and will probably be the closer.  He pitched really well last year and could move to AA pretty fast.  Jason Stumm and Julio Castro are the top two setup men, and two of the better reliever prospects in the system.  Castro was converted to a starter in the past few years, so he should continue to get better and better.  The other guy worth watching is Paulino Reynoso, who is making the transition from starter to reliever.  He might turn out to be a stud left-hander in the bullpen, and he might return to the rotation if one of the other pitchers struggle.

Rick Hummel is NOT Tim Hummel's brother.

The rotation, in my opinion, is the worst of the four teams.  Purvis was one of our first round picks from the infamous 1999 draft (along with Jason Stumm, Matt Ginter and Brian West) and was the only one who seriously struggled in the minors.  Now, at the age of 26 (almost 27), he looks like he has figured out how to pitch, but it is probably too late for him unless he dominates and can make it up to AAA by the end of the year.

Byeong An, 23, actually made it to AA last year and pitched pretty well.  He kind of got caught up in a numbers game, but needs dominate in his second season for the Warthogs if he wants to make a name for himself.

BJ Lamura, 23, is probably the best overall pitching prospect in the rotation.  He was a fifth round pick a couple of years ago and has pretty good stuff.  I believe he had problems with his control last year with Kannapolis, but he could be poised for a breakout season.

Nik Lubisich, 24, is a left-handed swingman.  He has had some success in past seasons as both a starter and a reliever, but he doesn't have a really high upside.

Sean Tracey, 23, is a interesting prospect.  He started last year in Kannapolis, struggled and was sent down to Great Falls where he did much better.  From what I heard, he has good stuff, but it's still strange that he was sent to Winston-Salem this year.  He could really go either way this year, but I gotta think the White Sox have a reason to move him high A ball.

The bullpen has some really good arms in it.  Rick Hummel, the brother of former White Sox Tim Hummel, has a blazing fastball and will probably be the closer.  He pitched really well last year and could move to AA pretty fast.  Jason Stumm and Julio Castro are the top two setup men, and two of the better reliever prospects in the system.  Castro was converted to a starter in the past few years, so he should continue to get better and better.  The other guy worth watching is Paulino Reynoso, who is making the transition from starter to reliever.  He might turn out to be a stud left-hander in the bullpen, and he might return to the rotation if one of the other pitchers struggle.

You say Julio Castro was converted to a starter, but this season will be used as a setup guy?

This correct?

I am sorry about that, I meant to say he was converted to a pitcher in one of the past two seasons. Both Castro and Reynoso were converted from position players to pitchers, Reynoso a starter and Castro a reliever. Castro pitched in relief for both Kannapolis and Winston-Salem last year. He had a 3.38 ERA in 29.1 innings with an impressive 44 strikeouts for Kannapolis. He did even better in Winston-Salem where he had a 1.01 ERA in 35.2 innings with 26 strikeouts.

I think he meant to say Castro was converted to a pitcher (not starter) a couple years back and is getting settled in nicely. He is staying in the pen. He had been an infielder

I still think sometime this season he will see some more time out of the rotation. Its just right now Kanny is so stacked and Castro has absolutely dominated out of the pen that they would be better off with him there.