According to Baseball Weekly...

israel4ever

According to Baseball Weekly, there was a Wunsch for Mark Bellhorn deal in the works, with Boston.

I can't figure out why we'd want Bellhorn...he sucks!

:fthecubs

Little puzzling why he'd be the one we were looking to trade for. But it seems that Wunsch's value may be freefalling and it might have been one of those get as much as you can before its too late situations.

P.S. Farmer and Rooney mentioned a while back that the Sox were trying to trade Kelly.

Makes sense to me. Bellhorn can play all of the infield positions and has a little pop. Still, I'd think Wunsch has a little more value. And I think those that mentioned Wunsch going to the Angels have a legitamate idea cause they don't have a lefty in the pen.

Makes sense to me.  Bellhorn can play all of the infield positions and has a little pop.  Still, I'd think Wunsch has a little more value.  And I think those that mentioned Wunsch going to the Angels have a legitamate idea cause they don't have a lefty in the pen.

But what does Anaheim have that we need?

Amazega, a freaking stud middle infielder tahts a little older (like 26). I doubt they'd give him up, but he's not on their 25 man right now. Wunsch alone may not get him, but give up a midlevel guy (if that) and I think you could land him.

And let me tell you, I'd feel a hell of a lot better about our situation with him then I would with Bellhorn.

Amazega, a freaking stud middle infielder tahts a little older (like 26).  I doubt they'd give him up, but he's not on their 25 man right now.  Wunsch alone may not get him, but give up a midlevel guy (if that) and I think you could land him.

And let me tell you, I'd feel a hell of a lot better about our situation with him then I would with Bellhorn.

This is true. I've known that you've said good things about him.

Now that we're on the subject of Angels players who can be middle infielders, what do you think about Chone Figgins? Is he Willie Harris, or maybe a little better then Willie Harris? Now that the Angels have Guillen, Anderson, Salmon, and Guerrero, I would imagine that makes him expendable

This is true.  I've known that you've said good things about him.

Now that we're on the subject of Angels players who can be middle infielders, what do you think about Chone Figgins?  Is he Willie Harris, or maybe a little better then Willie Harris?  Now that the Angels have Guillen, Anderson, Salmon, and Guerrero, I would imagine that makes him expendable

Figgins is very similar to Willie, I think he might even be a little shorter. This guy has experienced much more success at the MLB level, and has very solid D. I feel alot more comfortable with him at 2nd than in CF. I'm a big fan of Chone, he's got tons of heart and is a sparkplug, everything you need at the beginning of your lineup. He is prone to a slump here and there but when hes on his game, he keeps rolling.

As for Amezaga, it might take someone like Honel to part with him. Very slick fielder and they're just putting their finishing touches on him in the minors while waiting for Eckstein to go.

Uribe can't play 3rd.  Bellhorn plays all IF positions IIRC.

And I think he can play a little OF too.

I know he can play all 4 IF positions though.

I like Bellhorn. Good eye at the plate IIRC. Strikes out quite a bit, never has a good average, but has good power.

For Wunsch? I'll take him. He could be a Tony Graffanino type.

Chone would work too. He's a bench player there and would be a good fit as well. I like Amazega because he can play both short and 2nd, but Chone could fill in in CF, although I personally think he's awful out there. At least he was this spring especially.

Still, I'd really like either one of them on the Southside.

This trade actually makes a ton of sense - in fact, it probably would have went down had Wunsch not been injured. Jerry Reinsdorf, today on the score, said that there was a trade that was supposed to happen right at the end of Spring Training, when a player who was involved in the deal was injured. Damn - if only KW had thought of that trade a week or two earlier.

BTW, did anyone else hear the interview with Jerry Reinsdorf on 670 with North and J-Hood?

I'd like to see someone better then Juan Uribe behind Joe Crede myself. But Uribe is the only guy on the team behind Jose Valentin that can play short. If you trade Kelly for a utiilty then either Juan goes down, or he takes 2B and Harris goes down. I haven't seen enough of either to decide.

I think a situational lefty of Wunsch's quality will prove to be a strength in the long run, I'd be escared to go with Marte as the only good lefty in the pen. The next question is when Kelly is ready what pitcher goes down? Is Cotts doing well enough to make Kelly irrevelent and just let Kelly go and plug him in?

My take is to let them play a couple weeks and the players themselves will tell you who should be up and who should go down.

Once again...

If Sox are getting a 2002 Bellhorn, it's a steal that might propel them to the divisional title.

If Sox are getting a 2003 Bellhorn, it costs us Wunsht.

So what you are saying is that if we only have to give up Wunsch to get Bellhorn, it is a good trade, and if Bellhorn plays like he did in 2002, it's an excellent trade?

If this is true, I agree. I feel we could still use a leadoff hitter, but that's not something we need to worry about too incredibly much. Get a guy who can get on base up there(if Paul Konerko can put up a .425 OBP and hits .340, and most of his hits are singles, he is my leadoff hitter, or at the very least, hitting 2nd).