Ordonez: Sox deal 'close' to happening

mmmmmbeeer

Guys if Maggs resigns, then I for one am going to be exstatic. He is quietly and slowly putting together a hall of fame caliber career. He's still got to produce for a number of years, but he's just entering his prime. He's good defensively, good offensively, and smart on the basepaths. Besides that, he is a great guy and is a face of this franchise.

As one of the biggest proponents of prospects on the board, I also say, even with all our stud outfield prospects, you got to remember, some guys are going to fail, some guys may not live up to their hype, and some may be moved to fill other needs.

Of course, if they come through, Reed can play center with Anderson in left. That is a great defensive outfield and plenty have people have always said Sweeney could move to first. Fine by me. Plus you still have Lee who could DH. Remember, by the time all these guys are ready, Frank Thomas contract will be up, Maggs will be up and we'll kind of know where Reed stands (He'll of had production).

Heck, Reed may be a starter within a month (Just call it a hunch).

Bottomline, you don't not resign Maggs because we have great outfield prospects. We got an All Star in Magglio, who is a class act and if he resigns...YEEESS!!!! :headbang

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would bet with Reed, Sweeney, Borchard, and Anderson waiting, the Sox will ship Mags for pitching . Then HOPEFULLY spend the money on a solid infielder or relief pitcher.

Why not do the opposite, trade one of the younger prospects for pitching? Magglio is the whole package - good attitude, solid defensively, very good at the plate. I'm tired of hearing about prospects. Joe Borchard, while still could pan out, was a top prospect not so long ago. What happened?

I think Carlos Lee and Magglio Ordonez are two cornerstones of this franchise. Lee may be destined to the DH role and some part time left field work. But Lee is a very solid all around player.

Three years ago, I would of probably laughed had I thought Lee would be a cornerstone. He was awful defensively and basically toyed with us with his potential. Lee has really worked his ass off and is a very good player, maybe on the verge of breaking out into a great player. I think him and Maggs are going to be around a long time. T

Why not do the opposite, trade one of the younger prospects for pitching?  Magglio is the whole package - good attitude, solid defensively, very good at the plate.  I'm tired of hearing about prospects.  Joe Borchard, while still could pan out, was a top prospect not so long ago.  What happened?

you have to accept how the white sox operate.

Why not do the opposite, trade one of the younger prospects for pitching?  Magglio is the whole package - good attitude, solid defensively, very good at the plate.  I'm tired of hearing about prospects.  Joe Borchard, while still could pan out, was a top prospect not so long ago.  What happened?

Like I said earlier, its inevitable that some of the very best prospects won't pan out. I've not given up on Borchard yet. I firmly believe one of him and Reed will be starting for the Sox THIS season. Personally I Think it will be Reed, soley because you can plop him in the 2 hole.

However, Borchard's lefty bat in the lower part of the order would be a nice thing to have as well.

Never give up on a solid ballplayer for potential!

See Elton Brand for Tyson Chandler for example.

I'm an Ordonez fan, too!

You have to think with your head, not with your heart!

You should take your own advice.

Williams has limited range in CF(and you could tell when you saw balls falling in when he was out there, and those same balls were being caught by Rowand today) and has a weak-ass arm(which was exposed as far back as the 2002 playoffs against Anaheim). I'd take Maggs in CF over Williams in CF, and Maggs is a natural RFer.

Personally, I feel Maggs should be resigned, and it should happen no matter how much it costs. If he wants $13-14 mill a year, then give it to him. IMO, he's worth it.

For those Robin Ventura lovers out there, we offered him $7MM per year, but he insisted on "Matt Williams money." f*** him. He wasn't worth it then, and he's not worth it now. Robin was pissed off at the Sox and their manager and was ready to leave. Our mistake was in not trading him in mid-season of his last year, but the Sox did not have the guts because of the White Flag deal that had just happened, and all the criticism that followed. He had a s***ty attitude the last year with us; it was time for him to leave, and we still offered him $7 Large per year.

There is no parallel between Robin's situation and Maggs'.

We gotta keep Maggs, but it's obvious where he'll be playing

if we don't keep him.

Torre has loved Maggs for eons.

And George after this series has to be saying, "GET HIM."

Even if we sign Maggs, we could ultimately trade him to NY.

So we'll never be relaxed concerning Maggs' situation.

For those Robin Ventura lovers out there, we offered him $7MM per year, but he insisted on "Matt Williams money."  f*** him.  He wasn't worth it then, and he's not worth it now.  Robin was pissed off at the Sox and their manager and was ready to leave.  Our mistake was in not trading him in mid-season of his last year, but the Sox did not have the guts because of the White Flag deal that had just happened, and all the criticism that followed.  He had a s***ty attitude the last year with us; it was time for him to leave, and we still offered him $7 Large per year.

There is no parallel between Robin's situation and Maggs'.

If I remember correctly we did offer Ventura $7 ... but it was over a 3 year period. I specifically remembered that what we offered Robin was a pittance of what he deserved.

Actually McDowell had 2 productive years after we let him go.  And then if he stayed with the Sox he may have had a different surgeon, and a mistake in surgery may not have ruined his career.

Fernandez only had 1 productive year after we did not resign him.

Johnson hit .333 and .307 in the 2 years after we did not resign him.  And in 1996 he led the NL in hits.

McDowell was productive for several years with the mets and for 1 year with the yankees.

You never know how things would have turned out if we kept these guys around.

Fernandez wouldn't have gotten hurt if he stayed with the Sox since he wouldn't have been pitching in the playoffs, as you should know, you'd have to of been crazy to think we could've caught the Indians in '97. :D

Fernandez wouldn't have gotten hurt if he stayed with the Sox since he wouldn't have been pitching in the playoffs, as you should know, you'd have to of been crazy to think we could've caught the Indians in '97.  :D

Maybe with McDowell instead of Tapani in the rotation in 1996 and Lance at the top of the order we would not have fallen out of the WC race in September0.

In 1997, 13 of those cleveland wins came from mcdowell, and we had 16 losses from that mother f***er Navarro, and 15 losses from baldwin.

what i could see happening is possibly a 2 year deal for 14 or so per year while our OF group in the minors develop. Then, after that he goes somewhere else

If JR is serious about keeping Maggs he has to increase the years (and of course lower the price). Maggs said himself he can picture playing in NY, and with the ridiculous contract they will no doubt offer him Sox need to act quick.

Let the Yanks have Carlos Beltran instead.

Maybe with McDowell instead of Tapani in the rotation in 1996 and Lance at the top of the order we would not have fallen out of the WC race in September0.

In 1997, 13 of those cleveland wins came from mcdowell, and we had 16 losses from that mother f***er Navarro, and 15 losses from baldwin.

Yea I was just being a smartaleck. :P

Actually, just replace Laime with Alex and we probably win the division in '97.

It annoys me though when people say we got lucky(or that we were smart) getting rid of someone because they end up getting hurt after leaving. Unless it was a congenital condition you can't extrapolate that he would've gotten hurt if we kept him, the situation around his injury would not have arisen in a different place and time.