Ordonez: Sox deal 'close' to happening

mmmmmbeeer

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually JR was on the score and said Maggs wanted to test the waters. The comments from the southtown were a quote from Maggs saying he thought the deal was near.

I should also make it clear Maggs only commented that a deal was near, I have no idea where the numbers are coming from other then they have been reported in a few newspapers.

According to ESPN we offered 4 years at around $14 million per season. It says Maggs wants 5 years, but the price is right.

According to a report in the April 12 Daily Southtown, the first obstacle to overcome in signing Magglio Ordonez to a contract extension is the length of the deal. The Sox reportedly offered a four-year deal close to $14M per season, but the right fielder prefers a five-year deal that isn't as backloaded as the current offer.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=chw

Actually JR was on the score and said Maggs wanted to test the waters.  The comments from the southtown were a quote from Maggs saying he thought the deal was near. 

I should also make it clear Maggs only commented that a deal was near, I have no idea where the numbers are coming from other then they have been reported in a few newspapers.

I did a little double take when I saw 6/68 -- it's right out of the same book that said Mike Cameron coulda been had for 3 Mill a year.

The sad part is, barring a breakthrough season in 2004, Sox can't even pay Maggs 11.5 Mill a year.

If they do sign Maggs to a 6/68 contract, he'll never finish it with the Sox.  The first time we come out of the gate like last year, he'll be traded.

You don't have to worry about that scenario because he will NEVER accept 6/68. If I were him, I wouldn't either.

For 5/75 he can go f*** himself. 30 homers don't mean as much today as it did 25 years ago. Neither does his overrated throwing arm.

How about 6/68 with some INCENTIVES.  I know JR is big on backloading and extra clauses but an MVP type player like Maggs should have some playoff incentives in there.  Wouldn't that be a win-win scenario?

That's not a bad idea.

Give him 6/70 guaranteed, and if he reaches some goals(making the World Series, making the All-Star team, winning a Silver Slugger, making it to the playoffs, winning in the playoffs, winning the World Series, top 5 MVP finish, top 3 MVP finish, winning the MVP, putting up a certain number of stats, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc), he can get up to $100 mill(and that would be if he reached every goal...the odds of that are very small, so you should basically guarantee him about $80 mill if he just shows up and plays his best).

I disagree about the history of JR not spending money. He's gone after big names like Albert Belle, David Wells and Bartolo Colon. Last year getting Alomar, Everett etal, cost the team money by going for the short term win.

I also checked the new numbers on the 2004 payroll. The Sox have the 5th highest in the AL. Not exactly cheap

The Sox will spend money when the need and fit is right.

where were you when i needed you and your logic in my defense of jr and with ref to spending money.

Last year getting Alomar, Everett etal, cost the team money by going for the short term win.

It cost them nothing. What are you talking about?

I also checked the new numbers on the 2004 payroll. The Sox have the 5th highest in the AL. Not exactly cheap

The time to spend was YESTERDAY when Sox REALLY needed. Then, by the virtue of playoff dough and increased season ticket base alone, he could still afford a 60+ Mill payroll in 2004. There is a symbiotic relationship of sorts between seasons.

Last year, Sox f***ed up as they never f***ed up before. Everyone still bvitches about 1997 even though Indians had a superior team last time I checked the numbers. In 2003, Sox were IT. Just a little infusion of daugh early on would have gone a LONG way toward making the season unqualified success.

And if you're impressed with 65 Mill this year, I guess it would be perfect time to remind you that the AL average is 70 Mill. Still impressed?

I never really bothered to define "MVP-type player" so it's really meaningless. It was mostly based on my perception of his potential that he can put up MVP numbers in any given season.

Also with the $65 million, average is a misleading statistical measure. For example the Sox $65 million puts them 5th in the American League. The average is definitely skewed by outliers over $100 million in the Yankees, Red Sox, and Angels. The only AL team that spends more than the Sox besides these is Seattle at $81 million.