Millar, Boston may hook up

Guest wsc425

Friday, February 7

Talks with Chunichi have been 'productive'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Kevin Millar and the Chunichi Dragons appeared to make some progress Friday in talks the infielder hopes will lead the team to release him from a deal to play in Japan.

Millar

Millar has remained in New York all week, discussing his desire to void the deal with Mitsuo Kodama, Chunichi's manager of baseball operations, and team translator Yoshiharu Muto.

Chunichi bought Millar's rights from the Florida Marlins last month for $1.2 million and agreed to a $6.2 million, two-year contract. After the Boston Red Sox expressed interest in him, Millar changed his mind and decided he didn't want to play in Japan. The player and his agents, Sam and Seth Levinson, say the deal was never finalized.

"At 2 a.m. this morning, we met with Yoshiharu Muto and we all continued to have productive dialogue," Sam Levinson said Friday.

"From the beginning, Kevin has requested that he be released from the agreement in principle due to family matters -- the State Department's warning to all Americans abroad underscores Kevin's family concerns."

Millar decided he didn't want to be abroad during a time when the United States could be at war. The State Deparment issued a new world-wide caution Thursday, saying "U.S. citizens and interests are at a heightened risk of terrorist attacks."

"The Dragons have met with us at Kevin's request, and we simply hope that we can all work toward a fair and equitable resolution," Sam Levinson said. "Today Kevin remains in New York with his wife and hopes for another round of discussions with officials from the Dragons."

Millar is better with the glove (no s***), has a better arm, and is a solid .300 hitter. Carlos could (key word being could) be better, much better, but i rather have the sure thing. I just hope Carlos makes me look like a complete dumbass and puts up monster numbers.

i dont understand what the problem is with millar...if he doesnt want to play in japan he doesnt have to...regaurdless of what contract he signed there is no law that forces him to go work overseas...matter of fact the exact opposite is true...he is protected by our constitution if im not mistaken....the japanese club is s*** out of luck for the 1.2 million to buy millar's contract...the 2 year deal he signed becomes void...since he hasnt taken any money and no services were rendered..there is no damage to the japanese club...

i liken this to japan making US teams pay for the right to talk to one of their players...if you pay 5 million to talk to matsui and he signed with someone else..thats the chance you take...if you buy millar's contract and he changes his mind..that the chance the japanese club takes...

Still, he did sign a contract and I think MLB doesn't want to ruin its relationship with the japanese teams.

there is some sort of operating agreement between the leagues; the dude is under a contract that MLB is bound to respect.

And as Jason says, future working relationships depend on abiding on the terms of the agreement.

The dips*** is this Millar. Signs a contract and then wants to say never mind.

Still, he did sign a contract and I think MLB doesn't want to ruin its relationship with the japanese teams.

there is some sort of operating agreement between the leagues; the dude is under a contract that MLB is bound to respect.

And as Jason says, future working relationships depend on abiding on the terms of the agreement.

It reminds me of that great governor in California, named Gray Davis.

He signed a contract for electricity deals. He got ripped off on the contract and once the energy crisis was over he had his people rip up the contract, even though it was a 25 year deal, just because he's the freakin governor.

If you sign something, then you damn well better represent it or pay the money to get yourself out of it.

It reminds me of that great governor in California, named Gray Davis.

He signed a contract for electricity deals. He got ripped off on the contract and once the energy crisis was over he had his people rip up the contract, even though it was a 25 year deal, just because he's the freakin governor.

If you sign something, then you damn well better represent it or pay the money to get yourself out of it.

i agree he should honor it...but there is nothing that says he has too..american citizens can not be forced to work overseas against their will even if they sign a contract....MLB has to recognize that fact...i guess their only recourse if they really want millar to honor this contract is to blackball him this year...

he is a dumbass for signing it if he wasnt sure its what he wanted to do