Ordonez - Griffey

Bighurt52235

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sox through in CLee, and the Reds tossed in Adam Dunn?

wow..that is freakin interesting....ordonez and lee for griffey and dunn???

it would be hard to say no to that..just getting rid of the lawn ornament makes me giddy :lol:

dunn is 5 years from arbitration...5 years of him and borchard...dunn is gonna be a stud...26 homers , 400 obp , 19 sb's...and he was only 22 and struck out 170 times..can you imagine what that kid will do once he learns the strike zone???...plus he is left handed...with a 400obp and his speed..dunn could actually bat lead off for this team.. :D

would give us an outfield of dunn , griffey , borchard....all left handed power...the key is griffey...can he stay healthy

look at this line up..we would become one of the best defensive teams in baseball too..our outfield would rival minnesota's defensively...

dunn -lf

jimenez -2b

thomas -dh

griffey -cf

konerko -1b

valentin -ss

crede-3b

borchard -rf

olivo -c

id do it..i would...as much as i love maggs id have to pull the trigger on this deal...but cincy would never do this deal anyways..

nice thought though...february really sux for sports...come up with a few more for discussion

i think they might. I think that because do you remember earlier this offseason they offered Griffey straight up for Maggs? Allow me to come up with a value system.

Ordonez(10) + Lee (7) = 17

Griffey (9) + Dunn (8) = 17

That may be curious, plus or minus a point or too, but I think that it is an even trade.

I know Maggs will be wonderful, but I believe that Ken Griffey still has some good years left in him. But who knows how much potential Adam Dunn has. I think who could be consistently hitting 40 HR's, driving in well over 100, stealing at least 20, while maintaining his .400 OBP! Plus, this would get rid of El Caballo, something that many of you seem bent on.

Dunn's stats for his first two years are almost identical to CLee's.

No proof that Dunn will be more than what he is - if he his plateaued, then what have we gained, he is putting up CLee numbers and we already have CLee who improves every year and is no where as bad as people make him out to be. And CLee's next hitting surge is going to be awesome/.

Meanwhile Griffey for Mags is someone who has way too much fantasy in their lives. Makes me very thankful that KW is our GM and not anyone on these boards. We are building a team around Mags, and you don't f*** with that to come out even or less just to say, how bout it?

I agree with you on Griffey and Ordonez. I'd rather have Magglio any day. But, I think that this deal is thought provoking in the sense that Adam Dunn is in it. I also agree with you on Carlos Lee. I have no trouble with him. He is not as bad a hitter as alot of people make him out to be. I just feel that Dunn will be much better. Plus, he and Griffey are both lefthanded power hitters.

No way. Dunn might be better than Lee but at this point we can't be sure. I think Lee is ready for a breakout year also. But the Griffey for Maggs part is what makes this trade ridiculous. I'd rather not give up maybe the best RF in baseball for an old has-been CF who gets injured every year now and has reports of being a big clubhouse cancer. I don't care if the other part was Dunn for Yofu.

Maggs makes $9 mill this year, Carlos makes $4.2....that's $13.2 mill....Griffey makes $12 mill this year, Dunn just over the league minimum(say $500,000).....we'd be better in the financial standpoint and then Maggs makes $14 mill next year(more than Griffey) and CLee is destined to make around $5-6 mill(we'll say $5 mill)....that brings their total to $19 mill and Griffey and Dunn stay about the same.

However...Griffey has been very injury prone the past two years....I wouldn't want to make this trade and then have Griffey's knee go to s***, and then have Maggs put up huge numbers for Cincy.

If Griffey and Thomas could return to their mid-90s form though.....we'd have the two biggest hitters in the AL during that time on the same team 10 years later....ouch. Our offense would be improved, our defense improves and our pitching is then a by-product of it and it improves as well.

I'd do it....we'd have a cannon at every OF position and all 3 guys would have good range....our defense would be as good as Minny's and everything else of ours would be better than theirs. If Griffey stayed healthy, we'd win the division...and then with a balanced lineup, we'd be potential World Series contenders.

Jimenez 2B

Valentin SS

Dunn RF

Thomas DH

Griffey CF

Konerko 1B

Borchard LF

Crede 3B

Olivo C

Look at our lineup 3-8.....L-R-L-R-S-R....that's cash money....and that would drive managers crazy.

I love Maggs as a player...and he's one of my favorites on the Sox...but that is a hard offer to turn down.

Damn this is really intriguing.

If Griffey could get back into his form and stay healthy, this would be an unbelievable deal. Adam Dunn is a freaking pimp of an outfield. Borchard is too and then you have Griffey, one of the best centerfielders of all time.

It would be really tough to deal Magglio though. Still, this is something that I'd definately think about. Financial wise it makes sense and Dunn and Borchard would both be awesome defensively at their respective positions.

Geeze. If there was a way to give up Thomas and not Magglio, then it would be really sweet, but that ain't going to happen.

Either way, this deal would really intrigue me. Financially it makes sense and we get two awesome players in return......IF GRIFFEY IS HEALTHY.

Hell no  !! Griffey is a loser, put him on a championship team and he would destroy it.  Are you nuts? Griffey is poison.

So why did Griffey's Mariners make it to the ALCS in 1995? It seems like Griffey came up quite clutch in the ALDS of that year.

I'm quite sure that the A's of the 70s wouldn't have cared about his attitude...as long as he put up good numbers, it would have been fine with them.

I can't speak for the A's of the 70's (how old were you then?) but the A's of the 70's succeeded as a team, wasn't one hero. Look it up in your history book. Reggie wasn't a one man team. If the Sox are ever cursed with a Griffey, I'll get interested again when he's gone. How did the Mariners do after Griffey left for a better HR enviroment? How are the once promising Reds doing with the great Griffey?

I wasn't even born in the 70s(I was born in 87), but I've heard stories about Billy Martin and Reggie Jackson and so many others....they had terrible clubhouse chemistry and they would get into fights....but they put up good numbers, and they won 3 straight Series titles. This team needs to understand that you can play good baseball if you don't have good team mojo....just play as well as you can 162 games of the year, and you'll be fine. Teams like Minnesota need good team chemistry...and though it helps, it is most definately unnecessary.

I just wants to say that Maggs, along with Manos and hard-nosed Rowand, is my favorite White Sox player. While he is no Barry Bonds, he has just began his prime years and 1000 OPS/140 RBI season is certainly within his grasp. He is also an adequate fielder and base-runner who is making 9 million (can't say the same thing about Manny Ramirez who for all his HOF hitting ability is a 20 million a year

D-effin'-H). Dunn and Borchard is a pretty muich a wash with Dunn being better NOW, but Borchard having a slighter higher ceiling (remember he was only a PART-TIME player in HS and college and I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see the REAL SuperJoe until 2005).

i wouldn't trade Carlos for Griffey.

Griffey is a quintessencial franchise player who will probably bring extra 7-10,000 fans per (to say nothing of national coverage and merchandising!) just because he is "Ken Griffey", so that kinda settles the salary arguement. What kind of injuries are those anyway? If' it was a dislocated throwing shoulder/mupltiple tear knee thing, then it's a big concern. If it's a strained hamstring, I am not as worried about long-term. Griffey is signed LONG-term at a discount (for a former 5 tool MVP player), which is VERY good, but at 33, considering his god-awful work ethic and injury issues (full recovery from injuries requires a LOT of patience and guts), his best days may be behind him. He certainly has no longer an advange base-running wise, so his defense must be Gold Gove in order to ofset the difference in offense (I don't think you will argue that Maggs is looking better and better while Griffey's last impressive season was two years ago. Both players are HOF hitting talents and I might just make a trade straight up after 2003.

But not really.

I agree with Chisoxfn, this trade is intriguing if anyhing else. Each team is taking on a lot of risk and is gaining something while losing something else. Slightly favors thw Sox...unless Carlos's second half wasn't a fluke (I am betting it wasn't but you never know, esp. with Carlos), in which case slight edge goes to Cincinatti.

NO!!!!!, Griffey is the world's biggest b****, not one player has ever said he enjoys playing with him. f***, i wouldn't trade Carlos for Griffey.

NO!!!!!, Griffey is the world's biggest b****, not one player has ever said he enjoys playing with him. f***, i wouldn't trade Carlos for Griffey

NO!!!!!, Griffey is the world's biggest b****, not one player has ever said he enjoys playing with him. f***, i wouldn't trade Carlos for Griffey

every once is a while a post comes along that says it so well, it bear repeating... :)

I don't care how good Griffey is, he's a little f*** and i don't want little f***s on the Sox's. Sosa is the same thing, self-obsesed f***s piss me off, i rather see a guy like Carlos who just goes out and plays rather then a guy who checks his stats after every at-bat and b****es to his teammates all the time.

self-obsesed f***s piss me off

They may piss you and me off, but the fact of the matter is most HOF players aren't all

sunshine-n-smiles. Most people aren't, period. Nodoby likes Albert Belle and Barry Bonds, but you can't ignore their on-filed contributions. If you don't want to get Griffey because he is lazy, declining, injury-prone or combination of all 3, that's fine. "Selfish and arrogant" arguement doesn't and shouldn't hold up as far as winning (care to remember when the Sox last won the series, Mac?) is concerned.

Maybe that's just me.

I despise Tiger "I am a cheap, arrogant, apathetic and racist prick and proud of it" Woods, but his talent is undeniable.