Whoa

Heads22

Just wondering, how did you become a Sox fan in North Dakota? Did you used to live in Chicago or something?

Grew up in Pierre, South Dakota(town of about 13,000...also known as the second smallest capitol city in the US), and I move to ND this past summer.

Basically, the story goes like this. I grew up(from about age one day old to about age 7 or 8) as a Twins fan. When I was in about first grade, I wanted a poster for my room(because I thought they were the s*** and that if I had one, I'd be the s***). I just picked one out, and never really knew who it was. Well, after about 6 months had passed and I finally looked up and saw that there was a name on the poster in bold white letters on the bottom that said "Frank Thomas" and then below that in slightly smaller letters were the words "Chicago White Sox." This kind of intrigued me, but I remained a Twins fan.

As about a 3rd grader, I was in my school library, and I wanted to check out a book on a sports player(as I absolutely loved sports, and I still do...sports has basically been my main love in life). I went for Kirby Puckett, only to find out the book I was looking for wasn't there. I then saw a book on Frank Thomas(the man in my poster), checked it out, read it, and thought he was a pretty good player. I also saw some games on WGN, and only cared about seeing Thomas bat.

Somehow, a love for the Sox blossomed from this, and the more research I did on Frank Thomas, the more fascinated I became with him and the only team he's ever played for. By 1998, I had my first White Sox hat(and really is one of my few...I need more White Sox s***, so if anyone has too much, I'll gladly take it :D ). I remember the Albert Belle signing...barely.

I think in the end what really got me hooked were 3 things. One was a game where the Sox were down 10-1 to the Twins, and I was cheering for the Sox(because I wanted them to win, but also because my friend was cheering for the Twins), and they came back and made it a 10-7 game and then lost(I remember it so well because Thomas led off with a hit, Ventura hit a homer, and then Baines hit a homer...that's what I remember the best from that). That got me along with Hawk and his famous "You can put it on the boooooooaaaaarrrdddd!!! Yeeesssssss!." You gotta love that. But what really got me on the bandwagon was 2000. I got tickets to two games for my birthday(July 19 and 20th I believe...I saw Mark Buehrle's first career start and win in person...so ha to the rest of you), and then I won tickets to a Twins game from my local batting cage(just a little drawing). Those 4 games and the Sox success that year really got me on, and after 2001, I joined the White Sox message board, and I went from a casual White Sox fan to a die-hard. For the most part, it all happened within about 5 years.

So there's my story. Possibly a little weird, but nothing I do can be done without it being completed in a weird fashion.

Grew up in Pierre, South Dakota(town of about 13,000...also known as the second smallest capitol city in the US), and I move to ND this past summer.

Basically, the story goes like this.  I grew up(from about age one day old to about age 7 or 8) as a Twins fan. When I was in about first grade, I wanted a poster for my room(because I thought they were the s*** and that if I had one, I'd be the s***).  I just picked one out, and never really knew who it was.  Well, after about 6 months had passed and I finally looked up and saw that there was a name on the poster in bold white letters on the bottom that said "Frank Thomas" and then below that in slightly smaller letters were the words "Chicago White Sox."  This kind of intrigued me, but I remained a Twins fan.

As about a 3rd grader, I was in my school library, and I wanted to check out a book on a sports player(as I absolutely loved sports, and I still do...sports has basically been my main love in life).  I went for Kirby Puckett, only to find out the book I was looking for wasn't there.  I then saw a book on Frank Thomas(the man in my poster), checked it out, read it, and thought he was a pretty good player.  I also saw some games on WGN, and only cared about seeing Thomas bat. 

Somehow, a love for the Sox blossomed from this, and the more research I did on Frank Thomas, the more fascinated I became with him and the only team he's ever played for.  By 1998, I had my first White Sox hat(and really is one of my few...I need more White Sox s***, so if anyone has too much, I'll gladly take it  :D ).  I remember the Albert Belle signing...barely. 

I think in the end what really got me hooked were 3 things.  One was a game where the Sox were down 10-1 to the Twins, and I was cheering for the Sox(because I wanted them to win, but also because my friend was cheering for the Twins), and they came back and made it a 10-7 game and then lost(I remember it so well because Thomas led off with a hit, Ventura hit a homer, and then Baines hit a homer...that's what I remember the best from that).  That got me along with Hawk and his famous "You can put it on the boooooooaaaaarrrdddd!!! Yeeesssssss!."  You gotta love that.  But what really got me on the bandwagon was 2000.  I got tickets to two games for my birthday(July 19 and 20th I believe...I saw Mark Buehrle's first career start and win in person...so ha to the rest of you), and then I won tickets to a Twins game from my local batting cage(just a little drawing).  Those 4 games and the Sox success that year really got me on, and after 2001, I joined the White Sox message board, and I went from a casual White Sox fan to a die-hard.  For the most part, it all happened within about 5 years.

So there's my story.  Possibly a little weird, but nothing I do can be done without it being completed in a weird fashion.

SAVED FROM THE HEATHENS!!!!

do you remember 3000?

I don't.

It was so long ago.........

I like watching the little ones get their 3000 posts, like when the don't need training wheels on the bike anymore, they are growing up :P

I remember it like it was yesterday. The year was 2003. The world was a much different place then. The White Sox were a division favorite, and the Cubs were an afterthought.

Basically, the story goes like this.  I grew up(from about age one day old to about age 7 or 8) as a Twins fan. When I was in about first grade, I wanted a poster for my room(because I thought they were the s*** and that if I had one, I'd be the s***).  I just picked one out, and never really knew who it was.  Well, after about 6 months had passed and I finally looked up and saw that there was a name on the poster in bold white letters on the bottom that said "Frank Thomas" and then below that in slightly smaller letters were the words "Chicago White Sox."  This kind of intrigued me, but I remained a Twins fan.

As about a 3rd grader, I was in my school library, and I wanted to check out a book on a sports player(as I absolutely loved sports, and I still do...sports has basically been my main love in life).  I went for Kirby Puckett, only to find out the book I was looking for wasn't there.  I then saw a book on Frank Thomas(the man in my poster), checked it out, read it, and thought he was a pretty good player.  I also saw some games on WGN, and only cared about seeing Thomas bat. 

Somehow, a love for the Sox blossomed from this, and the more research I did on Frank Thomas, the more fascinated I became with him and the only team he's ever played for.  By 1998, I had my first White Sox hat(and really is one of my few...I need more White Sox s***, so if anyone has too much, I'll gladly take it  :D ).  I remember the Albert Belle signing...barely. 

I think in the end what really got me hooked were 3 things.  One was a game where the Sox were down 10-1 to the Twins, and I was cheering for the Sox(because I wanted them to win, but also because my friend was cheering for the Twins), and they came back and made it a 10-7 game and then lost(I remember it so well because Thomas led off with a hit, Ventura hit a homer, and then Baines hit a homer...that's what I remember the best from that).  That got me along with Hawk and his famous "You can put it on the boooooooaaaaarrrdddd!!! Yeeesssssss!."  You gotta love that.  But what really got me on the bandwagon was 2000.  I got tickets to two games for my birthday(July 19 and 20th I believe...I saw Mark Buehrle's first career start and win in person...so ha to the rest of you), and then I won tickets to a Twins game from my local batting cage(just a little drawing).  Those 4 games and the Sox success that year really got me on, and after 2001, I joined the White Sox message board, and I went from a casual White Sox fan to a die-hard.  For the most part, it all happened within about 5 years.

So there's my story.  Possibly a little weird, but nothing I do can be done without it being completed in a weird fashion.

My favorite part of the story: You used to be a Twins fan, but dumped them. Cool story too, I thought.

Incredible story wite. I cannot relate to that cause I've a sox fan since I was about 5 when I went to my first game with my dad. You definitely know your knowledge of baseball very well at a younger age than some of the other posters. I think you can be a future GM if you set your mind into it (even though I know Jason is going to say something about that LoL.) Nice read. :)

Incredible story wite. I cannot relate to that cause I've a sox fan since I was about 5 when I went to my first game with my dad. You definitely know your knowledge of baseball very well at a younger age than some of the other posters. I think you can be a future GM if you set your mind into it (even though I know Jason is going to say something about that LoL.) Nice read. :)

No one said I had to be GM of the White Sox.

Then again, no one said Jas had to be GM of the White Sox either.

No one said I had to be GM of the White Sox.

Then again, no one said Jas had to be GM of the White Sox either.

Who wouldn't want to be a General Manager of a Sports Franchise. :D Well except, for maybe the Scrubs and Twinkies. :lol:

Who wouldn't want to be a General Manager of a Sports Franchise.  :D Well except, for maybe the Scrubs and Twinkies.  :lol:

Isn't it the truth?

I don't think I would love anything more then to turn a poor team around with a limited payroll and then beat the s*** out of everyone else in the league, ala Billy Beane. You don't even have to make the playoffs to do it either. You could go 92-70, miss the playoffs by 3 games, and still say "haha, look what I can do. You need a $150 mill payroll to win, I only need $30 mill. You could not do this if your life depended on it." I think it would just be a feeling of pride and joy and a cockiness that no one else has.