The trade that did not happen

sox-r-us

Odalis Perez in 2004

2 games started; 0-1; 11.2 innings pitched; 5.40 ERA; 7 ER; 3 HR

Paulie

7 games started; 0.370 avg; 27 AB; 3 R; 10 H; 1 HR; 6 RBI; 1 SB

:headbang

Call me crazy, but I would do this deal in a second.

Perez sucking = lower value

Paulie hitting = greater value

Perez was absolutely lights out in ST -- something like 1.00 ERA with 22 K and 2 BB.

Call me crazy, but I would do this deal in a second.

Perez sucking = lower value

Paulie hitting = greater value

Perez was absolutely lights out in ST -- something like 1.00 ERA with  22 K and 2 BB.

You're crazy.

Over his career, Perez has had exactly one season where his ERA was below 4.50. Last year Perez had a 4.52 ERA and 1.28 WHIP pitching half his games in DODGER STADIUM. Now take those numbers and extrapolate them to a season in the American League in a hitter's ballpark like USCF. By and large, ST numbers are meaningless for hitters AND pitchers.

You're crazy.

Over his career, Perez has had exactly one season where his ERA was below 4.50.  Last year Perez had a 4.52 ERA and 1.28 WHIP pitching half his games in DODGER STADIUM.  Now take those numbers and extrapolate them to a season in the American League in a hitter's ballpark like USCF.  By and large, ST numbers are meaningless for hitters AND pitchers.

I think that was the rub right there. O Perez had one good year and we were acting like he was a Cy Young pitcher. Konerko had proven himself, and with one mediocre year some fans were calling for his head to be lopped off. I for one am happy it didn't happen. But, I think it could have happened if the Dodgers had sweetened the pot with some of that minor league talent.