ESPN Radio Reporting option year only thing...

SoxFan562004

Levine has been on ESPN Radio this morning saying that the Sox and Maggs are very close to a contract extension, and the only thing that is holding it up is a 5th year. It seems if Sox give an option (didn't specify if it is a player or team) the deal will get done. Terms seem to be 12-13m a year (I heard this during the 7:40am update)

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere

I hope they get it done.

Despite the mild protests from some people on this board ( which I understand but don't happen to agree with ) I think the Sox should try to lock Magglio up.

He's as consistent as they come offensively and has improved defensively. Plus, he's a fan favorite, and I think that's important too. Also, he's not likely to be involved in any cork/steroid/domestic scandals, and THAT should be taken into consideration as well. It's nice to have a great player who's by all accounts a great guy.

Agreed. He is a superstar in this town whether people know it or not. In New York or Boston, he would be overshadowed by an Alex Rodriguez or a Manny Ramirez.

Oh yeah and on some Cub board I was browsing, some fans were convinced they would be signing either Maggs or Beltran by next year. :fthecubs

I know some people don't like how much we're giving out, but I say GIVE IT TO HIM. He's the face, leader of our team, we need him to stay competitive, not to mention how this will make everyone involved with this team happier.

It's funny how things turn around. 6 months ago A LOT of posters around here were open to the idea of lettin Maggs walk or him bein traded in order to sign Colon and hav more payroll flexibility. My thinkin is that Maggs wants a player option, but KW and JR want a team option for that 5th year. If he continues hittin like he has so far, I think we'll see a deal done sooner rather than later.

Agreed.  He is a superstar in this town whether people know it or not.  In New York or Boston, he would be overshadowed by an Alex Rodriguez or a Manny Ramirez.

Oh yeah and on some Cub board I was browsing, some fans were convinced they would be signing either Maggs or Beltran by next year.  :fthecubs

It would be a total embarrassment if the Sox allowed the Scrubs to sign Maggs. The Sox need to sign him to a long term deal and keep him for many years to come.

There are not many players out there of the caliber of Magglio Ordonez. It would go a long ways towards showing the Sox fans that the ownership is committed to winning. I am hopeful that Maggs stays in Chicago White Sox garb for a long time.

There are not many players out there of the caliber of Magglio Ordonez. It would go a long ways towards showing the Sox fans that the ownership is committed to winning. I am hopeful that Maggs stays in Chicago White Sox garb for a long time.

exactly :headbang

I just think it is a good sign that the years are the issue right now. I know you have to take a lot of news reports with a grain of salt, but it seems that they got over the money hurdle and are now just haggling about years.

I think Anderson signing with Anaheim probably helped the Sox cause when it comes to money

Maybe it's just my biased nature to hate ESPN, but reading that article makes it seem like if the Sox don't give that 5th year that Mags is bolting. My God, they just started talks! Even Mags himself said they were going great. Why do they feel the need to add a negative spin to it? I really think they hope he signs with either the Yankees or Red Sox.

Maybe it's just my biased nature to hate ESPN, but reading that article makes it seem like if the Sox don't give that 5th year that Mags is bolting.  My God, they just started talks!  Even Mags himself said they were going great.  Why do they feel the need to add a negative spin to it? I really think they hope he signs with either the Yankees or Red Sox.

And crap like this, is the reason that Maggs agent and KW wanted to keep these talks out of the press. This has a much better chance of getting done, if everyone isn't analysing it.

Maybe it's just my biased nature to hate ESPN, but reading that article makes it seem like if the Sox don't give that 5th year that Mags is bolting.  My God, they just started talks!  Even Mags himself said they were going great.  Why do they feel the need to add a negative spin to it? I really think they hope he signs with either the Yankees or Red Sox.

The chance of it not happening is much more exciting than the chance of it happening.

You take the two hypotheticals here...one is that Maggs resigns...the other is that Maggs does not resign.

Which is more exciting, seeing a player play for the same team, in the same city, with the same uniform and the same coaches, or is it more exciting to see a player with his new team, new teammates, (usually) new city, new uni, and new coaches?

I think the more exciting of the two is the latter. I think it's exciting as hell and I look forward to seeing new guys in new uniforms. I thought it was fun on opening day watching Tejada and Lopez in Orioles unis, and seeing highlights of Vlad in an Angels uniform. I don't know why, but I can't get enough of it. Seeing all the new guys in their new unis is something I have to do every year.

However, the wisest move would be to resign Maggs(for some people). Me, I'm split...I want to see Maggs in a Sox uniform next year, but on the other hand, I do want to see the White Sox spend money more wisely then they have in the past. Getting Esteban resigned should be a priority as well. Letting the door hit Billy in the ass on the way out should also be a priority(and quite frankly, the sooner, the better). Get what I'm saying?