Attendance was only 11,000 today!!

maggsmaggs

I SERIOUSLY doubt it.  That has got to be HUGE revenue, from a team that doesn't have nearly the sponsors, as the Northsiders.  Consider their prominence in the stadium and their size.  I'll bet they bring in in the neighborhood of $500,000 a year, each.

You are a glutton for punishment.. :lol:

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I realize that it's a money-maker, but is there a way to shrink them and mvoe them around the ballpark?    Don't tell me ANYONE like the views of LF and RF -- concourse is great, fan deck in CF is great, the jumbothron, etc, but the BILLBOARDS are tacky and grotesque that it begins to spoil what otherwise would have been a GREAT park to watch a game in. Not for me, but I am guessing for a lot of casual fans.

The RF porch will be great and will eliminate one ofthe boards.  I just hope they build something in LF -- look at every cool ballpark, they always have something in the outfield.

They look like $2 million a year to JR. Unless they come up with a way to replace that revenue (higher ticket prices, more seating etc) they aren't coming down. period.

They look like $2 million a year to JR.  Unless they come up with a way to replace that revenue (higher ticket prices, more seating etc) they aren't coming down.  period.

Mike.. I'll have to go back and look, but I'm pretty sure that most of that revenue goes back into the park (and to the ISA).

[whine] I am not trying to get into this conversation, but I have one question. Are posts about attendance going to be ongoing again this year? I think we all know we are preaching to the choirs here as the people on this board go as often as they can. [/whine]

Mike.. I'll have to go back and look, but I'm pretty sure that most of that revenue goes back into the park (and to the ISA).

If that is the case, there is even LESS chance they come down, with all of the money the ISA has had to pay the Sox over these last few years because of low attendance.

[whine] I am not trying to get into this conversation, but I have one question. Are posts about attendance going to be ongoing again this year?  I think we all know we are preaching to the choirs here as the people on this board go as often as they can. [/whine]

It appears that's Brando's new quest... :rolleyes:

If that is the case, there is even LESS chance they come down, with all of the money the ISA has had to pay the Sox over these last few years because of low attendance.

I thought those revenues pay for the facility upkeep, but I could be wrong. I'll look at the agreement again.

[whine] I am not trying to get into this conversation, but I have one question. Are posts about attendance going to be ongoing again this year?  I think we all know we are preaching to the choirs here as the people on this board go as often as they can. [/whine]

F-14.......

Winning is important.

Hard to win without talent.

Payroll strongly correlates to talent on the field.

Attendance, ratings, merch. sales, etc.....greatly affect payroll.

Ergo.....

I understand it would not have gone over well, because they are the CHICAGO WHITE SOX, but I think if the Sox would have built the new Comiskey in aShamburg, Joliet, area, the fan base would be huge. I get out to about 20 games a year, but it was hard with my dad working to 530, then driving from Wheaton to the SouthSide, and getting home at midnight when he has work,and I have school the next day. Now I have my liscnes, so it wont be a big deal anymore. My point is, if the park was in the suburbs, I beleive you would see a large increase in atendence. I know I would be able to make it out to alot more games.

Tony.. I understand your beef. It's valid. But it is what it is. We live in Plainfield. About 20 miles further than you. We don't have a choice.. we just go.

By the way.. which one Schaumburg or Joliet..? They're about 50 miles apart from eachother :lol: ;)

Addison was the desired location... that would have been a good spot. But in hindsight, I'm glad they didn't move.

Here is how the White Sox get to 2.4 million, which is 29,629 average for 81 home dates.

1). Convince the die hard Sox fan there is an annual, ongoing commitment to winning. Every year, and not just the division. How? Be more forthcoming with the approach. Obviously this year, it's "hang in there until July, add what we need". They're so afraid of fan backlash, and what they continually fail to realize is Sox fans are notorious for appreciating honesty.

2). Broaden the fan base. Why don't they do a winter Sox Caravan any more? They need to. Go to outlying cities downstate and push the product. Go to all the state colleges and give the college kids a break on tickets ... not much, but even a couple of bucks makes a difference.

3). Do whatever it takes to build and maintain a "destination" place, i.e. sports bar/restaurant in the immediate vicinity of the ballpark. Work with the city, do whatever needs to be done. Make it a year around, ESPN Zone type of place.

4). Do a big PR push for the Bridgeport neighborhood, and all the great places which currently exist in the neighborhood. There is unfortunately still the impression from many clueless suburban types and coroporate transferees that the neighborhood is unsafe.

5). Push the tailgate experience, and put up some more port-o-johns for convenience sake. They can even play off the hellacious parking problems they have up at Wrigley.

Those are five off the top of my head. Interestingly, I'm a partial season ticket holder and I've never received a survey of any sort, nor have they ever asked my opinion about what I like/don't like. Any feedback I've given them of my own volition has been positive ... i.e. I appreciate how my ticket rep Natalie treats me, how much my group enjoyed a patio party we had, my positive impression of the renovations, etc.

Winning is a big part, but in the eyes of the casual fan, it's not everything.

Steff, no, have never gotten one.  For full season plans only maybe?

Or do I have to have the "talk" with my mailman again?!?!?  :lol:

I never got one either.

I love your suggestions.

Every one is right on and (to coin a phrase) doable.

Love your suggestions! :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang

Steff, no, have never gotten one.  For full season plans only maybe?

Or do I have to have the "talk" with my mailman again?!?!?  :lol:

I don't know.. that's weird. The one the year before was about the All Star game.. and the year before that was I believe stuff having to do with the Stadium Club and new Club level seating (when they had the big price hike).

I don't think it's just for full season since our 27 game friends got one.. Maybe call and ask Nat..?

I never got one either.

I love your suggestions.

Every one is right on and (to coin a phrase) doable.

Love your suggestions!  :headbang  :headbang  :headbang  :headbang  :headbang

You're in the upper deck.. no one cares what you think anyway.

;)

About 31K average for Yankee series. Not bad, not great -- probably closer to latter because of unspectacular weather and non-promotional weekday-ness.

Molto probably knows this, but is it true that there will be money left over for a porch-type project in LF as well in 2005-2006?

About 31K average for Yankee series. Not bad, not great -- probably closer to latter because of unspectacular weather and non-promotional weekday-ness.

Molto probably knows this, but is it true that there will be money left over for a porch-type project in LF as well in 2005-2006?

From what I have heard is that they only have about $14mil left (not nearly enough) and they are going to go with green seats for their last renovation. Sounds like the HR porch is dead.

From what I have heard is that they only have about $14mil left (not nearly enough) and they are going to go with green seats for their last renovation.  Sounds like the HR porch is dead.

You mean the RF porch tribune that was all but built in many fans' minds? WTF...

I was talking about building something grandiose in LF because those boards are terrible.

As always, taking the cheapest route....

From what I have heard is that they only have about $14mil left (not nearly enough) and they are going to go with green seats for their last renovation.  Sounds like the HR porch is dead.

I don't think the ISA is sold on the seat change yet. But that decision has to be made fairly quickly so who knows. IMO, a waste of $$. Regardless.. it's not the Sox that make the decision. They submit requests and the ISA makes the call.

I don't think the ISA is sold on the seat change yet. But that decision has to be made fairly quickly. Regardless.. it's not the Sox that make the decision. They submit requests and the ISA makes the call.

But my impression of the whole process is that the ISA has pretty much been a pushover to what the Sox have wanted, right?

But my impression of the whole process is that the ISA has pretty much been a pushover to what the Sox have wanted, right?

Since I don't work for them :P .. I have no idea. Just from the agreement that I have and the 4 suggestions that were submitted for this phase (which were all approved) were major. I don't think another structural change is in the immediate future.