Report: Rowand is ready for ST

Guest wsc425

02/10/2003 3:18 pm ET

Rowand ready for Spring Training

He sustained serious injuries in motorcycle accident

By Damon P. Young / MLB.com

Aaron Rowand suffered a broken left scapula, a broken rib on both sides, and a bruised left shoulder in a motorcycle accident. (Mark Duncan/AP)

CHICAGO -- Aaron Rowand didn't win a J-Lo sized jackpot in Las Vegas this winter, but he knows luck was on his side. At least for a brief moment.

While riding dirt bikes with his brother-in-law and a group of friends, the White Sox center fielder suffered multiple injuries, including a broken left scapula, a broken rib on both sides, and a bruised left shoulder, after falling nearly 25 feet off an embankment.

"I was riding up a hill about 20 mph in second gear, not too fast," Rowand recalled recently. "But when I got to the top of the hill, there was nothing on the other side."

Rowand, who flipped headfirst off the bike, immediately knew he was fortunate his injuries weren't more serious.

"If it were my right side, I probably wouldn't be ready to go this season," Rowand suggests. "(The doctors) didn't let on at first. I don't think they thought I'd be ready for the season. As it turns out, I'm over a month ahead of schedule already. My surgeon told me that my recovery is pretty amazing."

Team trainer Herm Schneider agrees.

"If it was his right shoulder, it would be a totally different story," Schneider says.

If the damage had been to his right shoulder, the right-handed Rowand would not have been able to throw a baseball for an extended period, thus limiting the chance he would have been ready for the start of the regular season. Instead, he underwent surgery on Nov. 14 to repair his left scapula and immediately started the road to recovery.

Known for going all out on the field, diving for balls and running into walls, Rowand, who lives in Las Vegas during the offseason, suddenly became fully committed to rehabilitation, which he describes as "the toughest thing I've ever done in my life."

Aaron Rowand / OF

Height: 6'1"

Weight: 200

Bats/Throws: R/R

More info:

Player page

Stats

Hit chart

whitesox.com

Now, just more than three months after the accident and, more importantly, with White Sox position players reporting to Spring Training in less than two weeks -- Feb. 21 -- Rowand is nearly ready for his first Opening Day start. He continues to complete his normal throwing and running exercises and drills and says his swing is nearly 70 percent.

For Rowand, a fast recovery was required if he wasn't going to let the starting job in center slip through his hands.

"They're depending on me to play center field and I go and do something stupid like that," a repentant Rowand said. "They've put their trust in me and are relying on me to come out this season and play the way I'm capable."

Needless to say, Rowand, who is consistent if not spectacular defensively, understands the importance of capitalizing on the opportunity handed to him during the second half of the 2002 season.

Shut out of the starting lineup when the season opened last year because of the acquisition of free-agent center fielder Kenny Lofton, Rowand, 25, took over in center last season after Lofton, who sparked the White Sox offense early but then struggled, was dealt to San Francisco near the July trade deadline.

Given the opportunity to play everyday for the first time, Rowand finally became comfortable at the plate, hitting .279 with six homers and 23 RBIs after the All-Star break. In September, Rowand relaxed even more, hitting .299 (23-for-77) with three doubles, two homers and eight RBIs.

And that all came after languishing near the Mendoza line during the season's first three months, when he batted just .207 (18-for-87) in 58 games, striking out once every five at-bats.

Heading into camp, Rowand remains confident he can pick up where last season ended. And not having to fight for the starting job may help in his recovery, as there is no pressure to return too quickly, thereby risking a setback.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"They're depending on me to play center field and I go and do something stupid like that. They've put their trust in me and are relying on me to come out this season and play the way I'm capable."

-- Aaron Rowand

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I'm probably in better shape right now than when I went to Spring Training last year just because of the time I've had to spend in rehab," he suggests.

If Rowand's rehab regresses or he fails to produce, the White Sox will likely turn to Willie Harris, who played both second base and center field this winter for Mayaguez in the Puerto Rican League. Harris, 24, who was initially brought up last year to play second base, brings more speed to the table with 142 steals over parts of four minor league seasons, but he has not played center on a regular basis.

Armando Rios, 31, signed as a free agent this winter, could also see some time in center, but he has spent the majority of his five big-league seasons in right field.

So don't expect to see anyone else but Rowand out in center on Opening Day. And don't expect, as Rowand suggests, seeing anything less than an all-out effort on the field with the White Sox this season.

"The team chemistry we had at the end of last year resulted from a good mix of youth and experience," Rowand says.

"The enthusiasm of the young guys started rubbing off a little bit on the older guys and the next thing you know everyone's having fun, playing hard and we started winning. That feeling we had in the clubhouse was awesome. To have added guys like Bartolo (Colon), Flash Gordon and Billy Koch is only going to add to that."

If that feeling carries over, and translates into victories, then Rowand and the White Sox will be one step closer to hitting the jackpot in 2003.

Damon P. Young is an editorial producer for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Well, I tell you that's fantastic news!  Just when I thought we might just have to deal with the fact that we will be having (gulp!) Harris start on opening day in cf, Rowand decides to heal nice and quick.  Here's hoping the kid decides on a new hobby in the offseason.....

For a while I've been predicting Borchard will be our opening day centerfielder and I'm still going to hold out that it could happen.

Either way, I am a Rowand supporter.

Well, I tell you that's fantastic news!  Just when I thought we might just have to deal with the fact that we will be having (gulp!) Harris start on opening day in cf, Rowand decides to heal nice and quick.  Here's hoping the kid decides on a new hobby in the offseason.....

For a while I've been predicting Borchard will be our opening day centerfielder and I'm still going to hold out that it could happen.

Ya know what? I think Borchard will have to have a monster st to push rowand off....methinks jm is set on rowand if he has solid numbers during st...my bet is borchard starts the year in aaa but finds his way up by June......

Guest hotsoxchick1

rowand seemed and looked ready for the season to start.. he was having a good time down in the conga party with my kids wrestling around and such......he better be ready or i would personally kick his butt (my exact words to him)............ :D

Ya know what? I think Borchard will have to have a monster st to push rowand off....methinks jm is set on rowand if he has solid numbers during st...my bet is borchard starts the year in aaa but finds his way up by June......

Sooner or later they are going to have to find a way to make room for both Rowand or Borchard.

I really hope Rowand will break out this season, because I think you guys will really like what you see. He hasn't shown the power that will come. He can be a legitimate 25-30 HR guy.

Sooner or later they are going to have to find a way to make room for both Rowand or Borchard.

I really hope Rowand will break out this season, because I think you guys will really like what you see. He hasn't shown the power that will come. He can be a legitimate 25-30 HR guy.

I'm with you. If Rowand breaks out then Borchard can step into Center with Rowand in left. Then you can let either Thomas or Lee walk, saving money on one of them.

That way you can reup with Colon, sign Buerhle long term and try to make another splash to hopefully bring a 2nd straight World Series Title to Chicago :) :headbang

I'm with you. If Rowand breaks out then Borchard can step into Center with Rowand in left. Then you can let either Thomas or Lee walk, saving money on one of them.

That way you can reup with Colon, sign Buerhle long term and try to make another splash to hopefully bring a 2nd straight World Series Title to Chicago :) :headbang

KW better not let thomas walk over lee :nono

I'm doing the hypothetical question thing today, because I'm bored.  Who would you rather have, Joze Cruz Jr. or Kenny Rogers?  :huh:

Carlos Beltran...

I may go with Jose Cruz Jr, mainly because I Think he could of done some awesome things for this lineup. Then again, I like what Rogers brings but I have a lot of faith in Rauch.

Tough Tough Question.