Thomas opens his yap again.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One question for Frank: Are you willing to give back some of the money for the years you were overpaid and didn't produce at the 10 million level?

Just wondering.

If you were hurt and on disability pay from your company.. when you got better would you be inclined to pay them back the $$ they paid you while not producing..? :huh

I said this last time we had this discussion and this will be my only input to this thread, because I'm a bit bored of the topic:

Frank Thomas signed a contract that gave his employer the right to defer his money.

If he wants to blame anyone ( besides himself, that is ) he should blame his agent for agreeing to a trap-door clause like that.

It doesn't matter what ANYONE ELSE in either league makes, because HE signed off on his own deal.

He had the opportunity to test the FA market as part of that clause and either he didn't, or no one was interested in him at the pay rate he requested.

I hope he has a MONSTER year, and whatever happens after that happens, but he made his own bed and now he should lie in it quietly.

he was injured for one season -- 2001.

He underperformed in 2002, striking out more than 100 times for the first time in his career. failing to score 100 runs or drive in 100. That's the year I'm talking about.

I love Frank. I hope he finishes his career with gusto and gets into the Hall of Fame. He's the greatest offensive player in Sox history.

But his incessant public b****ing about his contract is flat-out repulsive and stupid. It's hard for the average guy to feel sorry for somebody making $6 million a year.

Concentrate on winning 6 of every 9 games all season. You'll get paid big boy.

he was injured for one season -- 2001.

He underperformed in 2002, striking out more than 100 times for the first time in his career. failing to score 100 runs or drive in 100. That's the year I'm talking about.

I love Frank. I hope he finishes his career with gusto and gets into the Hall of Fame. He's the greatest offensive player in Sox history.

But his incessant public b****ing about his contract is flat-out repulsive and stupid. It's hard for the average guy to feel sorry for somebody making $6 million a year.

Concentrate on winning 6 of every 9 games all season. You'll get paid big boy.

I agree.

I believe that once an athlete signs a contract, he should honor it.

All things being equal, and for whatever reason(s), I believe Thomas should be making more money.

If he had known how to keep his foot out of his mouth, he could've "owned" Chicago. Bad p.r., bad people skills.

If you were hurt and on disability pay from your company.. when you got better would you be inclined to pay them back the $$ they paid you while not producing..?  :huh

From what I was told, it's not the company that pays you, it's the insurance that you've paid into that pays you for disability (long term anyway).

In any sense, I am sick to death of players whining about their millions not being enough. Let them support a kid on 25K (while working 8+ hrs a day) and then tell me about unfair and not enough.

Imagine if JR went to Frank and told him he wanted Frank to be paid fairly based on each season's stats. We are going to offer you a 1 year contract and at the end of the season, negotiate next years. That was Frank you will never have to worry about not being paid fair market value.

I'm certain Frank would jump at that

If we are going to talk numbers, and not that it has anything to do with this but, wouldn't it have been nice if Frank could have hit his weight during the 2000 playoffs? Or Joey Cora's weight? Of his bat weight?

Mariotti, as predicted is having a field day with this. He's even brought out all the stupid nicknames (The Big Blurt). The man only discusses the Sox when he's got a clear shot at insulting them.

From what I was told, it's not the company that pays you, it's the insurance that you've paid into that pays you for disability (long term anyway). 

I know fan.. I was doing the best I can to make a comparison. Clearly it's not the same thing.

I figured, but if you guys had better benefits I know where I was going to apply! lol!

We've got pretty good ones.. but not that good. As a matter of fact, I think it's the insurance company that pays in all those circumstances, no?

With the exception of the outperforming the 80 percent quote, I didn't find anything wrong with this. He didn't discuss exact amounts, I think he realizes this club is on the way back up and he wants to finish his career on the South Side. Yet I know the rest of the media is going to run with this and make Frank to look worse......again.

I don't understand what is so wrong about what he said. He basically is saying his agent and Mr. Reinsdorf are in discussions for an extension. Tom Shaer even said he made his comments very respectfully. He is defniately not pouting. This is a bunch of horses*** if you ask me. Everyone get off his back already. This is the happiest I have seen this man and our team is playing really good ball. Can we no enjoy this for once? DAMN!

We've got pretty good ones.. but not that good. As a matter of fact, I think it's the insurance company that pays in all those circumstances, no?

For the short term disability (6 weeks or less) where I am, the company pays a portion and the insurance company picks up the rest. What that portion is, I haven't a clue. :huh

For the short term disability (6 weeks or less) where I am, the company pays a portion and the insurance company picks up the rest.  What that portion is, I haven't a clue.  :huh

That's how it is here I think. I think it's 60%.

I don't understand what is so wrong about what he said. He basically is saying his agent and Mr. Reinsdorf are in discussions for an extension. Tom Shaer even said he made his comments very respectfully. He is defniately not pouting. This is a bunch of horses*** if you ask me. Everyone get off his back already. This is the happiest I have seen this man and our team is playing really good ball. Can we no enjoy this for once? DAMN!

So far the only person to mention it in great detail is the eternal asswipe Mariotti.

The 35 year old veteran would like the organization to tear up his contract as soon as the season is over and give him one that he says would show him the 'respect' he believes he has earned as a long-time, productive member of the team.

What's that saying?........."What have you done for me lately?"

I loved the day Frank Thomas became a White Sox. It was great having the most feared hitter in all of baseball during the 90's on our team.

But Frank has never been able to see the forest beyond the trees. :rolleyes:

Is he worth more than 6 MIL right now? That's debateable.

He finished #6 in RPG in the AL last year. About five spots ahead of Maggs.

Clearly he's not happy with an 8MIL separation betw the 2.

But again Frank needs to realize that the forest beyond the trees is that he can

leave the team for more $$$ any time he wants. He had that opportunity this year

& he has it again next year. Truth be it told for an aging DH it's not a bad contract

at all after 2004.

He'll make either 8MIL or 10MIL in 2005.

Then he'll make either 10MIL or 12MIL in 2006.

It's not until 2007 where the team can buy out the contract for 3MIL!

Now how many other players over 35 have those kind of options?

Frank's clearly upset with the 6MIL for 2004 & that's a legitimate gripe.

But if he can see beyond that, the rest of the contract is pretty nice.

After 2005 he'll either be the highest paid player on the team or the 2nd highest.

There's no question the SOX got a bargain in Frank's early years.

But so did CLE, TEX, & most of all PIT with their RBI guys. He needs to wise up

& realize he's nearing the tail end of his career. A contract that will most likely

average double digit millions is a pretty nice send off.

What I might do if I were the SOX & attendance is up & Frank finishes in the top 10 in RPG is rip it up & offer him 3 yrs at 10MIL a yr. Basically the average of the existing contract only guranteed. But that's as far as a I go.

I loved the day Frank Thomas became a White Sox.  It was great having the most feared hitter in all of baseball during the 90's on our team.

But Frank has never been able to see the forest beyond the trees.  :rolleyes:

Is he worth more than 6 MIL right now?  That's debateable.

He finished #6 in RPG in the AL last year.  About five spots ahead of Maggs.

Clearly he's not happy with an 8MIL separation betw the 2.

But again Frank needs to realize that the forest beyond the trees is that he can

leave the team for more $$$ any time he wants.  He had that opportunity this year

& he has it again next year.  Truth be it told for an aging DH it's not a bad contract

at all after 2004. 

He'll make either 8MIL or 10MIL in 2005.

Then he'll make either 10MIL or 12MIL in 2006.

It's not until 2007 where the team can buy out the contract for 3MIL!

Now how many other players over 35 have those kind of options?

Frank's clearly upset with the 6MIL for 2004 & that's a legitimate gripe.

But if he can see beyond that, the rest of the contract is pretty nice.

After 2005 he'll either be the highest paid player on the team or the 2nd highest.

There's no question the SOX got a bargain in Frank's early years.

But so did CLE, TEX, & most of all PIT with their RBI guys.  He needs to wise up

& realize he's nearing the tail end of his career.  A contract that will most likely

average double digit millions is a pretty nice send off.

What I might do if I were the SOX & attendance is up & Frank finishes in the top 10 in RPG is rip it up & offer him 3 yrs at 10MIL a yr.  Basically the average of the existing contract only guranteed.  But that's as far as a I go.

2003: $5.0M

2004: Dual option $6.0M player/$8.0M team

2005: Dual option $8.0M player/$11.0M team

2006: Dual option $10.0M player/$12.0M team or $3.5M buyout