Thomas opens his yap again.

Apparently waiting for his first homer of the season, Frank is quoted in Friday's Southtown talking about one of his favorite subjects - the lack of "respect" his contract shows him.

"For now, Frank Thomas has no problem keeping a happy face.

Make no mistake about it though. The 35 year old veteran would like the organization to tear up his contract as soon as the season is over and give him one that he says would show him the 'respect' he believes he has earned as a long-time, productive member of the team.

Thomas told the Southtown on Thursday that his agent Arn Tellem has approached the team within the last few weeks and relayed that message. Thomas is seeking a 4 year contract to replace his current deal, which runs through 2006, with options each year. Thomas said he'd like to end his career with the White Sox.

THomas was told the club would discuss his contract with him as soon as the season is over.

"I've already discussed it with Arn and the club" Thomas said. "They both know how I feel. I've earned my way here, they're not giving me nothing. After the year I had last year, it's a little disappointing come the 1st and the 15th, but I'm going to keep on ticking. It's not a challenge to me, because I'm used to proving myself."

The article goes on to say

"I look at it a little different from everybody else" said Thomas. "I think a lot of guys got their job to do, but I've earned my way here. It's one of those things that I really hope management will take a long look at what I've done over such a long period of time and try and keep me here. I don't want to go anywhere else.

"On the other hand, I don't want to sit here and outperform 80% of the league and be paid like the bottom 1/3 of the league, either. It's one of those things where money isn't everything, but I would like to be treated fairly and be here for the rest of my career."

Thomas also said

"I remember what I've done. It's easy to forget because I think people just really go year to year but it's been a long grind for me and I take it serious. Money is not an issue right now, but I think I've made the organization a lot of money over the years. So show the respect that I've shown them. I've always been a company guy and stuck up for them. I'm going to continue to bust my ass and do things so that I can find a way to stay here."

Thomas was adamant in pointing out that winning the World Series this year is atop his priority list, with the hope that the club will talk to him at the end of the year about a new deal as they said they would.

"Right now that's what they're saying. That's fine with me, because I'm going to go

out and have a good year anyway, and then hopefully we'll talk again. My job is to pull these guys together, keep a happy face and keep this thing going for us because I have a feeling it's going to be a special year. All I'mlooking of now is a ring. All the individual stuff, I could care less about, and for the 1st time it comes from my heart when I say that. I could care less when it comes to my numbers."

SO, you think Frank will be ok with Maggs gettting Vlad money if Frank stays at $8 million a year?

You think maybe Frank could keep this s*** out of the papers when the team is going well?

You think Ozzie will let Frank pout?

The answer is no, no, and no.

Vive Ozzie!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!! The Big Skirt is hitting .227 and he is whining about money?!?!?!?!? If you didn't think the contract "respected you" then why the f*** did you sign it you overgrown baby?!?!?! SHUT THE f*** UP AND PLAY BALL YOU b****!!!

:fyou Thomas!

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

excatly, if you didn't like the contract, then he should not have sign the damn thing and tried out the other options. look if jerry was playing hard ball, he could have easily done it with the clause frank had in his contract, but he didn't. was that not a sign of respect for him and everything that he has done for the sox?

Frank's Salary rank in the Majors over the years

I'm excluding 91-94 when he was getting his feet wet

1995 6th $7,150,000 1st was Cecil Fielder at $9,237,500

1996 4th $7,150,000 1st was Cecil Fielder at $9,237,500

1997 8th $7,150,000 1st was Albert Belle at $10,000,000(also by the sox)

1998 19th $7,000,000 1st was still Belle at $10,000,000

1999 just below 25th $7,000,000 (25th was at $7,550,00)

2000 below 25th $7,100,000 (25th was $8,500,00)

2001 25th $ 9,927,000

2002 $ below 25th 9,927,000(25th was $10,000,000{Schilling})

Frank has always been paid right around the top 30 in the league until now....I see no problem with that....not too mention he signs the contracts.....Does he have a right to say he wants the team to lock him up....yeah I guess, its a free country...but WHY.... WHY make any comments to the papers right now at the beginning of the season. Since 1995 he has made $73,404,000 from the White Sox organization alone, not counting endorsements or any other outside cash. Focus on your game....if you perform you will at the bare minimum make 18 million the next two years.

How much money does this s***bag need anyway?? Is he trying to build a new house out of stacks of $100 dollar bills? You signed the contract now deal with it. Reinsy should invoke the diminished skills clause on his ass just our of spite for all his whining. With every passing day this clown becomes more of a liability.

Nuke.. where's the rant on that no good POS, looser, MF'er, Magglio who isn't happy enough making $14million that he now wants $15million...?? Doesn't that greedy bas*&^%)( get some grief...?

Not when he's tearing up the American Leauge. Maggs speaks with his bat, Thomas throws his bottle on the ground and cries.

Not when he's tearing up the American Leauge.  Maggs speaks with his bat,  Thomas throws his bottle on the ground and cries.

Maggs hasn't done s***. No awards. No MVP's. No nothing. But since he's hitting well now... he has the right to add to the financial distress of this orginization...?

Gotcha. :rolleyes:

I just do not know why Frank does this. He should be basking in the glow of his best PR move ever, the switch to cleanup.

Just a hunch. Was he feeling sad it was Maggs AB instead of him in that situation?

If he doesn't volunteer the switch, he would have had the chance to be hero.

And let me add this...

Did he not accept a very large contract offer just a few years ago that now makes him the highest paid ballplayer on the Sox, yet he comes back stating he wants to test the free agent market before accepting yet another generous offer the Sox are willing to make that will continue to make him the highest-paid ballplayer on the Sox?

Woo hoo Maggs...

Maggs hasn't done s***. No awards. No MVP's. No nothing. But since he's hitting well now... he has the right to add to the financial distress of this orginization...?

Gotcha.  :rolleyes:

The finincial distress is all based on Reinsey's cheapness but if you want to bash Maggs for asking for what he's worth when he's been our most consistent bat the last 5 years you can go right ahead.

Thomas is a little baby and every time he goes to the press and shakes his rattle about money it hurts this team. He signed his contract without someone holding gun to his head so now he should shut up, play ball and live with it.

The finincial distress is all based on Reinsey's cheapness but if you want to bash Maggs for asking for what he's worth when he's been our most consistent bat the last 5 years you can go right ahead.

Thomas is a little baby and every time he goes to the press and shakes his rattle about money it hurts this team.  He signed his contract without someone holding gun to his head so now he should shut up, play ball and live with it.

When all else fails.. blame the owner. Maggs is paid $14 MILLION DOLLARS a year... exactly how much $$ does that "s***bag" need anyway..? :huh

Frank is one of the smartest and smoothest-speaking athletes in sports when he is in a good mood, but some of his comments are just "wha?"-inducing. He can be his own worst enemy sometimes.

And you know what? Being all-Zen does NOT work for everybody -- some players play better with a chip on their shoulder.

I hope Frank busts out for a 1000 OPS season, leads this team to ALCS or even WS....and THEN he can talk 4/35-type extention.

Right now, he is swinging like an 850-OPS'er. You got Palmeiro and Edgar making 3-4 Mill each.

Why would Frank think at 35-36 he is going to get Jim Thome money?

He is a big, heavy aging slugger who might suprise us all and hit well into his 40's.....OR he could succumb to mother nature and fizzle out. Too much risk which ultimately cuts his value almost in half even if he DOES hit.

Furthermore....as if I made a big deal of overpaying to Magglio, it only makes sense to reiterate the same point regarding the older, more controversial and much more one-dimensional Frank. Just becasue I like him at 5-6 doesn't mean I have to like him at twice that.

He signed his contract without someone holding gun to his head so now he should shut up, play ball and live with it.

Isn't that what he is doing? Sounds like all he wants to do is discuss the contract when the year is over. Is that so unreasonable that you have to spew such venom at him?

Thomas was adamant in pointing out that winning the World Series this year is atop his priority list, with the hope that the club will talk to him at the end of the year about a new deal as they said they would.

"Right now that's what they're saying. That's fine with me, because I'm going to go

out and have a good year anyway, and then hopefully we'll talk again. My job is to pull these guys together, keep a happy face and keep this thing going for us because I have a feeling it's going to be a special year. All I'mlooking of now is a ring. All the individual stuff, I could care less about, and for the 1st time it comes from my heart when I say that. I could care less when it comes to my numbers."

When all else fails.. blame the owner. Maggs is paid $14 MILLION DOLLARS a year... exactly how much $$ does that "s***bag" need anyway..?  :huh

Maggs has a right to ask for what he's worth because he's our most consistent hitter and his contract is up.

Skirt signed a contract in good faith and then started whining about money even before the damn ink was dry. He is not playing well, his mouth is going to hurt the team and he has the gaul to cry about money. Before he cries about his money again lets see if he can hit better than Royce K-Layton.

He's not helping anything by crying about his money. 3 weeks into the season is not the time to run to the press like that. He needs to shut up, play ball and hope Reinsey isint sick of his constant whining. He hasn't shut up about money for 4 years now. Enough is enough. Everybody knows you think you are underpaid.

No offense steff, but I think your blind love for Frank is clouding your thoughts...

Maggs is in a contract year....and awards or not...he is a top player in this league...I mean you are now ripping on Mags to defend Franks comments...

you see what Frank has brought us too....

Just shut up and play the contract YOU signed....

Frank could be hitting .310, with 50 HR's and 130 rbi's and some folks would still s*** on him cause they have nothing better to do.

Amen. A lot of people sit and wait for any little nugget of negativity they can get on him and then blast away endlessly.

Maggs has a right to ask for what he's worth because he's our most consistent hitter and his contract is up.

Skirt signed a contract in good faith and then started whining about money even before the damn ink was dry.  He is not playing well, his mouth is going to hurt the team and he has the gaul to cry about money.  Before he cries about his money again lets see if he can hit better than Royce K-Layton.

Ya know what NUKE.. this is pointless to argue cause neither you nor I were present at the interview and know what context the comments were made. I just find it interesting that you sprint to s*** on Frank for wanting to discuss his contract.. but have only good things to say to Maggs when he wants $15 MILLION DOLLARS a year and even though the Sox have offered him what appears to be a very good deal.. still wants to "test the market". A slap in the fact, IMO.

Frank could be hitting .310, with 50 HR's and 130 rbi's and some folks would still s*** on him cause they have nothing better to do.

Frank is the one who has opened his mouth about this stuff. Now he has the reputation to back it up. HE created this, no one else did. That's why some of get pissed off when we start seeing this OVER and OVER and OVER again. It gets old. If he'd just go play ball, it would be fine.

No offensive steff, but I think your blind love for Frank is clouding your thoughts...

Maggs is in a contract year....and awards or not...he is a top player in this league...I mean you are now ripping on Mags to defend Franks comments...

you see what Frank has brought us too....

Just shut up and play the contract YOU signed....

CC.. I don't have a blind love for Frank. I think he should shut his mouth. However I don't think this is as big of a deal as it's being made, and I think if you're going to s*** on Frank you should s*** on ANYONE who asks for money in the media. They are all idiots.

He's not helping anything by crying about his money.  3 weeks into the season is not the time to run to the press like that.  He needs to shut up, play ball and hope Reinsey isint sick of his constant whining.  He hasn't shut up about money for 4 years now.  Enough is enough.  Everybody knows you think you are underpaid.

He "ran to the press"? Or did the press bring the issue up? Since they couldn't fan the flames enough to get the Ozzie-Frank hatefest going, they get the whole contract thing going again. Anything to sell papers to the gullible people that will hang on every word.

Anyone else find this match funny in a weird sort of way? I'm just watching the avatars flying past me.  :D

av-124.jpgVS.post-10-1079998426.jpg

LOL..

NUKE I hope I'm not comming across as fighting.. I'm just thing that the detest you have for Frank is a bit harsh considering there's someone else on this team who appears to be just as - if not a tab bit more - greedy.