What is Maggs worth to the SOX?

JUGGERNAUT

With an annual budget of 60MIL, what should the SOX do?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. With an annual budget of 60MIL, what should the SOX do?

• Offer Maggs a 48MIL/4 yr contract
    • Offer Maggs a 52MIL/5 yr
    • Offer Maggs a 56MIL/4 yr contract
    • Offer Maggs a 60MIL/5 yr contract
    • Offer Maggs a 64MIL/4 yr contract
    • Offer Maggs a 68MIL/5 yr contract
    • Offer Maggs a 70MIL/4 yr contract
    • Offer Maggs a 75MIL/5 yr contract.
    • Forget Maggs. Go after Beltran.
    • Forget Maggs. Spend it on Garland.

I voted forget Maggs go for Beltran.

Theres nothing wrong with Maggs, I think hes one of the best RFers in the game.

But Beltran is amazing, and he plays CF which is a more desirable position.

I dont know how you can say that youd prefer to have Maggs over Beltran all things being considered, unless you are just saying because Maggs is a Sox, we should give him preference.

SB

I am not saying that. Yes, he is on the Sox and I'd like him to stay here but Maggs is still going to get better. They can both field, hit, and run (Maggs not as well) but I'd still prefer Maggs over Beltran for the simple fact of Aaron Rowand.

I voted forget Maggs go for Beltran.

Theres nothing wrong with Maggs, I think hes one of the best RFers in the game.

But Beltran is amazing, and he plays CF which is a more desirable position.

How about using Rowand instead of Beltran, Reed instead of Magglio and spending that 75 Mill/5 on other needs -- like #1 and #3 pitchers to complement Elo and Buerhle to make a hell of a playoff rotation?

Konerko leaves soon, ditto for Koch, Valentin's contract restructured -- now you can get a big bat to replace Magglio and left over spend on Urbina or some other underpaid closer as well as a real lead-off hitter.

Assuming payroll will be around 65-70 Mill, options are many -- as long as Sox have a good GM.

Jim Edmonds's been superior to Maggs offensively in the last 4 years and his defense is better as well.

And yet he makes, what, 9 Mill per?

Cards normally have a payroll well into 70-80's. They could pay 15, but they choose not to. Gee, I wonder why?

Giles is another great example.

Sheffield, too.

If I could get Beltran for the same contract as Maggs, I'd take Beltran. He's 26, a centerfielder and a switch hitter. Beltran well only get better with his prime yet to come. Magglio, as good as he has been, has his prime behind him or will reach that point very shortly.

Id love to see Beltran in our club, that way he can hit HRs for us instead of against us. Your right about the age thing, beltran isnt even in his prime yet, maggs has reached or will reach his shortly and if we sign him to a long term deal, we will be keeping him while hes on the decline.

Agreed on Beltran. He's one of those special players that don't come along very often. He's only 26, and can easily be a 30/30 guy maybe even 40/40. Maggs is Maggs, an absolute star, but I still think Beltran brings more to the table. That said, I believe we resign Maggs to a 5 year deal afta the fans revolt against JR, and Beltran signs with Seattle Mariners or the New York Yankees.

Maggs is Maggs, an absolute star

Maggs is not a star; Bonds is a star, A-Rod is a star, Helton is a star, Griffey used to be a star, Mark Prior is a star, Pedro is a star, Sosa is a star, Manny is a star, Vlad is a star. Etc.

And as much as I like Beltran, I wouldn't pay 75/5 for him either. He'll be 27, so he has already began his prime; as he gains more power, his speed and defense will suffer, they always do. Maggs used to be able to swipe 25-30 bags and throw very well -- now he is just average. Beltran will be better than Maggs in those departments, but if you think he is a 40/40 guy, you're naive.

It interesting to see how many people here talk the "give him what he wants" talk, but out of 18 who voted only 1 sided with Magglio.