CD Recommendation Thread

CubsSuck1

e76543ruk34.jpg

Sigur Rós - Ágætis Byrjun

Sigur Ros is the best live band I have ever seen, absolutely f***ing phenomenal. Agaetis is far superior to (), although I still do like (). Svenf-g-englar, Hjartad Hamast and Ny Batteri make this album a post-rock classic. One of the best albums you've never heard. Jonsi's voice is heavenly and the crescendos could kill if they were mortal. By the way Ba Ba Ti Ki Di Do is absolute genius in my mind, sans Di Do. The vocals by Merce really ruin it in my mind.

d544430209i.jpg

Radiohead - OK Computer

Best Radiohead album ever, barely inching out Kid A. The perfect blend of electronic (Kid A) and guitar riffs by Jonny Greenwood (The Bends). Paranoid Android is just too damn good. Absolutely excellent live.

f63194unkw1.jpg

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Yanqui U.X.O.

gy!be's latest album has barely beat out the amazing f#a#oo as my favorite gy!be record. Hard and doesn't stop. Post-rock perfection.

f93481a2u80.jpg

Mogwai - Happy Songs For Happy People

Very lovely contrast between old Slint and soothing piano notes. Awesome.

kirvesmies.jpg

Magyar Posse - Kings of Time

Post-rock band out on Finland. These guys have loads of talent, this album was simply superb.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B00015U6EY.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

36 Crazyfists - "A Snow Capped Romance"

Specific songs: "Skin and Atmosphere" "Destroy the Map"

Can't wait to see these guys with Machine Head and God Forbid on May 10th at the HOB Chicago. Been listening to this album a lot lately, it's Solid.

B0001ENYKS.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Franz Ferdinad - self titled seems to be a good album from what ive listened to so far. Remind me of the strokes kinda. Which leads into to another point. Both strokes cds, is this it and room on fire, are quality listens.

Today I actually went out and bought Good News for People Who Like Bad News. Wonderful. Its been a ehile since I've bought a CD, I've forgotten how good te quality is. I can't say enough about the CD itself. Its soo good. :drink

Bumping this thread because music = important!

g28749wqal4.jpg

Tortoise - It's All Around You

I downloaded Tortoise's highly acclaimed Millions Now Living Will Never Die and it was meh. This, on the other hand, is phenomenal. I'm most likely going to see them at the Met on the 20th. Hail from Chicago, post-rock Gods.

e344957pe98.jpg

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Yr Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven

Huge, monumental, amazing.

Downloaded some more songs off of The Postal Service's Get Up today....oh dear Lord. Electro-pop at it's worst.

Music CD's reccommended...

Black Album

Sugar Ray ain't that bad

Staind Break the Cycle

Any Hendrix

Any Zeppelin

Any Anthrax

Any Slayer

Any Megadeth

Any Slipknot

Any Queen

Blink 182's new album

Rap=Crap so nah...

Jimmy Eat World wasn't so bad

Music CD's reccommended...

Black Album

Sugar Ray ain't that bad

Staind Break the Cycle

Any Hendrix

Any Zeppelin

Any Anthrax

Any Slayer

Any Megadeth

Any Slipknot

Any Queen

Blink 182's new album

Rap=Crap so nah...

Jimmy Eat World wasn't so bad

Speaking of rap...

B0001AP12G.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Kanye West - The College Dropout

Awesome

0724354936326.jpg

Beastie Boys new single "Ch-Check It Out". Download it on iTunes for $.99.

New album "To the 5 Boroughs" comes out June 15.

I was completely unimpressed.

The video is very weak and recycled.

The song does nothing for me.

Admittedly, I lost interest in Beastie Boys a loooong time ago, but this just seems uninspired. It has a "going through the motions" feel to it.

Can anyone explain to me how the Who could do a 40 year greatest hits thing and leave off Baba O'Reilly (teenage wasteland to you youngings)? I had my son make a custom burn for me and add it in the flow. If you are into Greatest Hits CDs or want just one Who CD, this is as good as any they have done.

Out here in the fields

I fought for my meals

I get my back into my living

I don't need to fight

To prove I'm right

I don't need to be forgiven

Don't cry

Don't raise your eye

It's only teenage wasteland

Sally ,take my hand

Travel south crossland

Put out the fire

Don't look past my shoulder

The exodus is here

The happy ones are near

Let's get together

Before we get much older

Teenage wasteland

Teenage wasteland

Oh, oh

Teenage wasteland

They're all wasted!

Can anyone explain to me how the Who could do a 40 year greatest hits thing and leave off Baba O'Reilly (teenage wasteland to you youngings)? I had my son make a custom burn for me and add it in the flow. If you are into Greatest Hits CDs or want just one Who CD, this is as good as any they have done.

Out here in the fields

I fought for my meals

I get my back into my living

I don't need to fight

To prove I'm right

I don't need to be forgiven

Don't cry

Don't raise your eye

Sally ,take my hand

Travel south crossland

Put out the fire

Don't look past my shoulder

The exodus is here

The happy ones are near

Let's get together

Before we get much older

Teenage wasteland

Teenage wasteland

Oh, oh

Teenage wasteland

They're all wasted!

Yeah, it doesn't make much sense. I have a UK version of their Greatest Hits. There are only 10 tracks, but both "Baba O'Reilly" and "The Seeker" are on there. The latter is one of my top five Who tracks, without question.

Other favorites that aren't included on this Greatest Hits comp: "Going Mobile", "Bargain", "Getting In Tune", "The Real Me", "Sea And Sand", "I Am One", etc. And of course, the breakdown on "Naked Eye" is flawless.

But I only listen to the live shows these days. "Tales From The Who 1973", "Charlotte 1971", "MSG 1974", and "Charlton 1974" are just a few that I'd recommend.

Other favorites that aren't included on this Greatest Hits comp: "Going Mobile", "Bargain", "Getting In Tune", "The Real Me", "Sea And Sand", "I Am One", etc.  And of course, the breakdown on "Naked Eye" is flawless.  

But I only listen to the live shows these days.  "Tales From The Who 1973", "Charlotte 1971", "MSG 1974", and "Charlton 1974" are just a few that I'd recommend.

Sure, you might as well just call "Who's Next" a middle years greatest hits album. I also get frustrated at the amazing amount of great Quadraphenia stuff that doesn't get the earplay of The Real Me or Love Reign O'er Me. You forget how stunning Entwistle's bass playing was until you go back to that album after you haven't heard it for a while.

For all the - as Jason says - "boring oldie oldsters," I'd recommend any Rundgren fans who fell away from him over the last decade of digital self-indulgence check out the new album "Liars." While not as strong as Nearly Human or Second Wind from the late 80s-early 90s, it's easily the strongest writing and most cohesive production since then. Very much looking forward to seeing him tomorrow night at a House Of Blues Orlando show in a full band setting. The last couple tours have been solo deals - Todd, a couple guitars, a piano, and maybe an iPod (yeah, he's still a technogeek) – great intimate shows but it's been too long since he has presided over large-scale rock and roll mayhem.

Among my favorite lyrics from the new disc:

You could be my everything, you almost have it all, you'd be perfect - but you've got one fatal flaw, my baby.  We could live so happily, the envy of them all, but that'll never happan - 'cuz you've got one fatal flaw...

So why ya gotta be... such a lyin' ass mutherf***er?

So why ya gotta be... such a lyin' ass... lyin' ass... lyin' ass... mutherf***er?!

• 4 weeks later...

post-10-1087195359.jpg

Misery Signals - "Of Malice and the Magnum Heart"

WOW! this album cae out of left field, and it's been in my Cd player for that last week or so. I actually bought this album because of who produced it, and I'm glad I did. Canadian Metal Mad Man Devin Townsend produced and added a little background vocals to the opening track "A Victim, A Target", although it's a double edged sword, because it makes the track awesome, but now I have a jonesing for some new Devin Townsend music. Great album, I'm sure it will make it onto my Top 5 albums of the year list.

Boy do I love music as well...

My favorite stuff can be summed in the punk/emo/scream-o scene. Just a couple albums I particularly enjoy.

Taking Back Sunday- "Tell All Your Friends"

Brand New- "Deja Entendu" (quite possibly my favorite cd)

Death Cab For Cutie- "Transatlanticism" (these guys are amazing, I reccommend ANY of their stuff)

Thursday- "Full Collapse" (better than their other album "War all the time" IMO)

Dashboard Confessional- Any of their albums are pretty good...their MTV2 unplugged set is my fav. Very good chill music.

Yellowcard- "Ocean Avenue" (GREAT Album)

So ya that's just a few, but I encourage you to check some of them out...very good stuff. :cheers

Thursday- "Full Collapse" (better than their other album "War all the time" IMO)

I'm no Thursday expert or anything but I think War All The Time is way better than Full Collapse. It's more complete, while FC is very disjointed especially in the structure of the songs, and it seemed like they would just throw in random screams wear they really didn't fit. The only song I really like off of FC is "Paris in Flames". All The Songs on WATT seems to mesh well to me.

Going old school all the way:

Bon Jovi:  Slippery When Wet

Guns and Roses:  Appetite for Destruction

Metallica:  Master of Puppets

Poison: Greatest hits 1986-1996

hmmm.... 2 out of 4.....

Bon Jovi = :puke :puke

GnR = :headbang :headbang :headbang

Metallica MoP = :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang

Poison = :puke :puke :puke :puke :puke

A .500 batting average is still VERY good!

:lol: