CD Recommendation Thread

CubsSuck1

What I'm listening to today:

On the train:

The Riverboat Gamblers - THANK YOU to Kid Gleason for hooking me up with this CD!!! :notworthy

It's good, sloppy ROCK in the same category as The Supersuckers, and the entire disc is a ROCKIN' good time! ( Did I mention at all that they ROCK??? :D )

When I get home:

Anthrax - Music Of Mass Destruction

The live CD/DVD of the December 2003 show at the Metro - this disc KILLS!

:headbang

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't aware they had a new one out.

Only liked 2 or 3 songs off "Risk".

Yeah, it's called The System Has Failed, and it's pretty good.

Not a complete return to form, but much better than their past couple discs.

I say "their" when I really should say "his", cuz it's mostly about Mustaine.

Sorry to hear that.

I don't like anything I've heard from them.

This whole "alternative disco" thing ( for lack of a better term ) leaves me cold.

HAHA I've never heard anyone put that kind of s***ty music like that. A perfect description.

Damn popular music is terrible nowadays....

Everyone's first clue should have been that song, Take Me Out.

I say, you don't know

You say, you don't know

I say, take me out

or whatever f***ing idiotic lyrics they had. If you looked at that song and said, man these guys are something I should really be interested in, I feel sorry for you.

courtesy of somethingawful:

"Now, from the depths of some art school in Glasgow, we have Franz Ferdinand. They’re paint-by numbers UK art-school indie in every respect; they have an art-deco album cover, a surrealist animated video, choppy post-punk guitar riffs, and haircuts like Trainspotting characters. It all adds up to a band who constantly has to reassure itself and its audience that its members comprehend art on some profound level; the video for “Take Me Out,” in case you haven’t seen it, basically flashes “hey, this is art!” and “please notice that we understand art” on the screen at every opportunity. I get the impression that Franz Ferdinand wants to be a fun, danceable version of Wire or Gang of Four, but the trick of it is this: people didn’t listen to post-punk to have fun. People listened to post-punk to mope, and to act serious, and to try to have sex with girls in cuffed black jeans, and to learn about cultural criticism without having to read anything. Injecting fun into post-punk music, in effect, takes all the fun out of post-punk music."

check out Interpol for over-rated band of the decade. :bang

Truth.

Interpol has a decent sonic "mood", if that makes sense, to their songs, but it all sounds way too derivative. The obvious and most stated "influence" is to Joy Division, and it made me laugh to read the singer's claim that he "never really attempted to copy Ian Curtis' singing voice". No, of course not, your singing voice just HAPPENS to be an exact replica of his.....mmmmmm hmmmmmm.......

Don't buy green day buy f***ing BAD RELIGION if you want it done right.

Too late.. :lol:

But it was on sale for $12.99 and with my Sam Goody discount I got an additional buck off. It's not too bad.

What's Bad Religion..? Similar? If so I'd probably like it so maybe I'll buy that today.

Too late..  :lol:

But it was on sale for $12.99 and with my Sam Goody discount I got an additional buck off. It's not too bad.

What's Bad Religion..? Similar? If so I'd probably like it so maybe I'll buy that today.

Probably more punkish if I had to put it in 1 word. Great band though.

heavier, harder, faster, kewler.

Bad Religion and Green Day are both great bands.

BR has more literate lyrics - I like their lyrical style a lot.

GD is more aggressive musically for the most part, at least until the last 2 discs.

I have to say that the new Green Day bored me a bit, while the new Bad Religion is better than their last one, The New America.

Don't buy green day buy f***ing BAD RELIGION if you want it done right.

I really hate that Los Angeles is burning song. It seems to be a very trendy thing to do now, trash LA, especially if you live there. If you guys don't like it leave, we don't want you here.

How could hell be any worse? Of it could be A LOT worse :lol:

But seriously though I don't like that song.

Well IMO...

Bad Religion: :snr

Green Day: :violin

Bad Religion is harder, faster, smarter and deeper music than Green Days other than that their identical :P

I really hate that Los Angeles is burning song. It seems to be a very trendy thing to do now, trash LA, especially if you live there. If you guys don't like it leave, we don't want you here.

How could hell be any worse? Of it could be A LOT worse  :lol:

But seriously though I don't like that song.

You don't like it because of how it sounds, or because of what they say? "If you don't like it, get out" reminds me of post 9/11 warhawks. I could transpose it with you and say, if you don't like biting social commentary, don't listen to the song. That's an even easier solution, eh?

You don't like it because of how it sounds, or because of what they say?  "If you don't like it, get out" reminds me of post 9/11 warhawks.  I could transpose it with you and say, if you don't like biting social commentary, don't listen to the song.  That's an even easier solution, eh?

They play the song so much on the radio, it's kind of hard to get away from it. The biting social commentary kinda loses it's steam when played ad nauseam. Plus from my POV they're not really saying anything new. Yeah people in LA are egomaniacs, they're superficial, blah blah blah. Tell me something I don't know.

I also don't like the singers voice :D