CD Recommendation Thread

CubsSuck1

Bad Religion and Green Day are both great bands.

BR has more literate lyrics - I like their lyrical style a lot.

GD is more aggressive musically for the most part, at least until the last 2 discs.

I have to say that the new Green Day bored me a bit, while the new Bad Religion is better than their last one, The New America.

New America was two albums ago, it was that one then Process of Belief, now Empire Strikes First. I liked PoB, even though some of the songs weren't that awesome. But the new one is definitely better.

Splitting hairs though.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very true...I've never heard anything from Mars Volta

But Sparta is some pretty good stuff, is Mars Volta worth looking into???

And what members are in MV?

The Mars Volta have Cedric(singer of ATDI) and Omar (guitarist of ATDI). I think Sparta can't even compare to The Mars Volta, their cd De-Loused in the Comatorium will take a few listens to before you actually can take it all in but once you do, you'll probably never stop listening to it. check it out and what a great live show, a new album, called Frances the Mute should be out soon as well.

The Mars Volta have Cedric(singer of ATDI) and Omar (guitarist of ATDI). I think Sparta can't even compare to The Mars Volta, their cd De-Loused in the Comatorium will take a few listens to before you actually can take it all in but once you do, you'll probably never stop listening to it. check it out and what a great live show, a new album, called Frances the Mute should be out soon as well.

Sweet...I'll definitely check it out :headbang

Be nice to hear some new stuff from their singer Cedric!!

What I'm listening to today:

On the train:

The Riverboat Gamblers - THANK YOU to Kid Gleason for hooking me up with this CD!!! :notworthy

It's good, sloppy ROCK in the same category as The Supersuckers, and the entire disc is a ROCKIN' good time! ( Did I mention at all that they ROCK??? :D )

When I get home:

Anthrax - Music Of Mass Destruction

The live CD/DVD of the December 2003 show at the Metro - this disc KILLS!

:headbang

Anthrax-Madhouse will always be my favorite song of theirs

I got suckered into that 'Franz Ferdinand' purcahse. Probably THE most overhyped release of this year. Anyone enjoy it?

Don't ever buy crappy music. Hear it on the radio first, have a few references, but do not buy bands that are overrated and then officially suck.

New America was two albums ago, it was that one then Process of Belief, now Empire Strikes First.  I liked PoB, even though some of the songs weren't that awesome.  But the new one is definitely better.

Splitting hairs though.

Forgot ALL ABOUT Process Of Belief.

Only heard clips off of it and wasn't impressed.

I really like the songs I've heard of The Empire Strikes First, though.

if you listen to the radio to get music...

you can thank these j-holes for your musical tastes douche bags

While the radio is 99.99999999% awful, I HAVE found some decent new music on Q101's "Indie Night" on Sundays.

They have three good shows back-to-back-to-back starting at 7pm:

7 - 8 pm Crash Test Radio

8 - 9 pm TBA

9 - 10pm Local 101

It's a very welcome diversion from their usual playlist, and then it's followed by Loveline, which I really enjoy listening to. Makes for a very cool Sunday night of radio.

I don't know if anybody is a Cake fan but I picked up "Pressure Chief" a few nights ago. It takes a couple listens but it grows on you if you like that kind of music. I didn't think it as solid as Comfort Eagle though (especially because there were only 11 songs and most were pretty short) But all in all a good album.

I don't know if anybody is a Cake fan but I picked up "Pressure Chief" a few nights ago.  It takes a couple listens but it grows on you if you like that kind of music.  I didn't think it as solid as Comfort Eagle though (especially because there were only 11 songs and most were pretty short)  But all in all a good album.

yeah i definitely need to listen to that

So I finally got a hold of the new Ted Leo and the Pharmacists album, "Shake the Sheets" which actually doesn't come out til later this week, though somehow a friend of mine got an advanced copy about 6 weeks ago and all my pals have been in awe ever since. I finally got my copy saturday.

I've been championing Ted Leo for more than a year now, and "Shake the Sheets" continues that noise. This is especially remarkable when you consider that over that same time period, I've purposely been avoiding music with lyrics, and have had a serious aversion to all things rock. Leo is the exception.. I guess cause he's so damn good, he's impossible to ignore.

If there is one guy who is about claim the king of rock throne, Leo is it. And "Shake the Sheets" is the album that should be his breakthrough. Couldn't imagine I'd say this, but I think I like it better than his last album - "Hearts of Oak", and that's my favorite rock album of the last 5 years or so... This album is less lyrically ponderous, a bit more poppy, but still hard... "Heart Problems" is the standout that I seem to remember as the highlight of his live performance at last summer's Randolph's Street Fest - it's the centerpiece of the album and hauls ass start to finish, as does "Criminal Piece" and "Walking To Do". Other tunes like "The One Who Got Us Out", "Counting Down the Hours" and the title cut are all great beyond description. There's not a bad song on the entire record...

He's on tour and plays Metro on Nov 18. I can't recommend him highly enough.

I also had the pleasure of seeing "Dirtly Old Town" - the hour long rockumentary on Leo that centers around a show he played at Coney Island in 2003. It's not as mind-bending as his music, but it's still a worthwhile watch... Besides the concert footage, there's a lot Ted talking about punk asthetics and crap...plus a lot of great camera work on the amusement park... And an "extra" of them playing some street fest during the NYC blackout of 2003, intercut with images of commuters walking across the Brooklyn Bridge, etc..

Everyone's first clue should have been that song, Take Me Out.

I say, you don't know

You say, you don't know

I say, take me out

or whatever f***ing idiotic lyrics they had.  If you looked at that song and said, man these guys are something I should really be interested in, I feel sorry for you.

courtesy of somethingawful:

don't feel sorry for me, I bought it. I read it was a band making real dance music without synths. That sounded interesting, they are few and far between.

Let's not turn this into 'my taste is better than yours', that's just plain stupid.

BUMP.

Currently listening to Futures by Jimmy Eat World. Definitely recommend this CD, got some real good songs on it like Pain, Polaris and Jen. I first heard Pain from the Tony Hawk Underground 2 Soundtrack which also has some real good songs on it. :snr

BUMP.

Currently listening to Futures by Jimmy Eat World. Definitely recommend this CD, got some real good songs on it like Pain, Polaris and Jen. I first heard Pain from the Tony Hawk Underground 2 Soundtrack which also has some real good songs on it. :snr

Maybe Austrailia gets a different version than the U.S., because we don't have the song 'Jen'.

I keep getting e-mails from one of my internet account (the one I get alot of spam too) from the Jimmy Eat World mailing list. I have never even so much as picked up one of thier albums but they just don't seem to go away.

Just unsubscribe.

BUMP.

:snr the version i "got via the internet" has that i know there are several different versions of the CD but the best song has to be 23 and i hope thats on your CD

:snr the version i "got via the internet" has that i know there are several different versions of the CD but the best song has to be 23 and i hope thats on your CD

Yeah I got mine from the internet too. 23's a great song as well, and excellent CD in general.

My first mini disc for my radio station that I have made...

"The Dark Knight's Mix"

1.) Godsmack-Running Blind

2.) Godsmack-Awake

3.) Metallica-Fuel

4.) Gang Starr-Moment of Truth (edited)

5.) Sublime-Doin time

6.) Sublime-What I got (edited)

7.) Nirvana-Come as you are

8.) Nirvana-Rape Me (edited)

9.) Green Day-Basket Case (edited)

10.) Avenged Sevenfold-Chapter four (edited)

11.) Blink 182-Feeling this (edited)

12.) Blink 182-Down

13.) Sum 41-The Hell Song

14.) Red Hot Chili Peppers-Can’t stop

15.) Weezer-Buddy Holly

16.) Thrice-All that’s left

17.) AFI-Leaving Pt. II

18.) Slipknot-Duality