Corpseball

BrandoFan

Let me be the first to say Corpseball is D-E-A-D

Corpseball is never dead; it's like weeds that need to be cut regularly or it comes back with a VENGEANCE. It's also like a virus.

Many hitters have selfish/lazy tendencies when left to their own devices. Ozzie will have to do a huge amount of physical and psychological work in the next 5 months to make sure Manuel Era remains history.

It's a day to day type a thing, and the last 2 days, things have looked good.

:cheers

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Corpseball is never dead;  it's like weeds that need to be cut regularly or it comes back with a VENGEANCE. It's also like a virus.

Many hitters have selfish/lazy tendencies when left to their own devices.  Ozzie will have to do a huge amount of physical and psychological work in the next 5 months to make sure Manuel Era remains history.

It's from day to day type a thing, and the last 2 days, things have looked good.

How bout we not even bring this up now huh?

Corpseball is never dead;  it's like weeds that need to be cut regularly or it comes back with a VENGEANCE. It's also like a virus.

Many hitters have selfish/lazy tendencies when left to their own devices.  Ozzie will have to do a huge amount of physical and psychological work in the next 5 months to make sure Manuel Era remains history.

It's from day to day type a thing, and the last 2 days, things have looked good.

It is dead. Ozzie will not let the carelessness of the previous regime go on for any length of time. This team hustles and makes it own luck. They bunt, they hit the ball the otherway to move over runners etc. They pressure the defense, and make the OFers make throws and plays.The old group waited for the 3 run homer, and that was it. Yeah it looked great on somedays. But it was horrible on just as many others The station to station days of Corpseball are gone.

RIP

It is dead.  Ozzie will not let the carelessness of the previous regime go on for any length of time.  This team hustles and makes it own luck.  They bunt, they hit the ball the otherway to move over runners etc.  They pressure the defense, and make the OFers make throws and plays.The old group waited for the 3 run homer, and that was it. Yeah it looked great on somedays.  But it was horrible on just as many others The station to station days of Corpseball are gone.

RIP

How do you know what Ozzie will or will not do? Players pay attention and then they don't, so you have to adjust, find new ways to inspire and new game strategy. He certainly has his work cut out for him. So far it has looked good, but we've head Corpseball fom mid-2000 to 2004. That's 3.5 years. Versus 10 days. A season is a marathon.

Like I said, it's a day-to-day thing. Last 2 days, the weeds were cut. Great pitching. Good baserunning. Konerko, Olivo, Uribe and Harris all hitting to opposite field and Frank is talking walks. Now Carlos and Magglio and Crede have to join the party.

It's definitely not DEAD, but it is suffocating slowly...

I've seen glimpses of people takin' homerun cuts, which I'm not comleetly against.. the one thing that I do have a problem with is resorting to corpsebll on the basepaths...

Frank had a couple of good first-to-thirs yesterday, and the Olivo "triple" and Harris "double" today were encouraging...

But I have see two glaring mistakes -- Not even mistakes really -- They were huge mental lapses and complete lack of effort --

In Timo's first AB of the season he grounded back to the pitcher, and weakly took a few steps towards first, never dropping the bat, never making it to first.. -- He starteed the next game -- Maybe Ozzie lit a fire uder his ass, but he has been relatively productive since...

In yesterday's game, Carlos was caught not busting down to second, on a bunt attempt, and when the throw was to his bag, he didn't even bother to slide.. -- He had one more AB that game, and was not pinch hit for, and started todays game in left field -- I didn't see any lackadazical(sp?) play from carlos today, so maybe ozzie got to him too. Or, better yet he realized his own mistake and learned not to repeat them, something he's shown he knows how to do with his improved outfield defense in the past few years.

No Corpseball is not dead, but the key to our season will be not letting us get bit by the corpseball bug, and how ozzie or the players deal with it when it does bite...

I've seen glimpses of people takin' homerun cuts, which I'm not comleetly against.. the one thing that I do have a problem with is resorting to corpsebll on the basepaths...

Frank had a couple of good first-to-thirs yesterday, and the Olivo "triple" and Harris "double" today were encouraging...

But I have see two glaring mistakes -- Not even mistakes really -- They were huge mental lapses and complete lack of effort --

In Timo's first AB of the season he grounded back to the pitcher, and weakly took a few steps towards first, never dropping the bat, never making it to first.. -- He starteed the next game -- Maybe Ozzie lit a fire uder his ass, but he has been relatively productive since...

In yesterday's game, Carlos was caught not busting down to second, on a bunt attempt, and when the throw was to his bag, he didn't even bother to slide.. -- He had one more AB that game, and was not pinch hit for, and started todays game in left field -- I didn't see any lackadazical(sp?) play from carlos today, so maybe ozzie got to him too.  Or, better yet he realized his own mistake and learned not to repeat them, something he's shown he knows how to do with his improved outfield defense in the past few years.

No Corpseball is not dead, but the key to our season will be not letting us get bit by the corpseball bug, and how ozzie or the players deal with it when it does bite...

Great post, Cheat.

It's really hard to change old habits, but Sox are improving by the day. Against KC, they had 3 runners (Lee, Maggs, Manos) get thrown at 2nd because of non-hustle. In TB, Thomas was the only one and even he had a hamstring excuse. Things are definately looking up. **knock-knock on wood**

I also agree that taking HR hacks is not only an ok thing, it's a necessary thing. But thre is always the right count, the right pitch type and the right location to do it on. Jose, Crede and Caballo were taking monsterous swings on tough pitcher's pitches with 2 strikes on them. That's just not smart, and I've seen it enough of it in recent years.

That can't be changed overnight as Ozzie can't just say "stop swingining so hard all the time" because players would laugh at him behind his back. Players have to figure it out for themselves, with a hitting coach; it's a matter of wanting to do it and then internalizing it through practice.

In short, Sox are a work in progress.

In yesterday's game, Carlos was caught not busting down to second, on a bunt attempt, and when the throw was to his bag, he didn't even bother to slide.. -- He had one more AB that game, and was not pinch hit for, and started todays game in left field -- I didn't see any lackadazical(sp?) play from carlos today, so maybe ozzie got to him too.  Or, better yet he realized his own mistake and learned not to repeat them, something he's shown he knows how to do with his improved outfield defense in the past few years.

:notworthy :headbang

You guys are missing the forest for the trees here. Corseball was a mentality. You are always going to have mistakes. Even the best managed teams have them. This team is giving heart and effort. That is the point. You can nitpick all you want, but then this team will probably take an extra base while you are doing it.

The first inning alone featured:

-A non-hustle by Mark that opened the inning up

-A throwing error by Crede

-Kong showing no range on Posada weak grounder

-Crappy relay throw to the plate by Uribe

-Willie Harris mis-timing a blooper

7 runs score, 5 of which could have easily been avoided.

Corpseball might be dead....but this is JM Era ineptitude with a capital 'I'

The first inning alone featured:

-A non-hustle by Mark that opened the inning up

-A throwing error by Crede

-Kong showing no range on Posada weak grounder

-Crappy relay throw to the plate by Uribe

-Willie Harris mis-timing a blooper

7 runs score, 5 of which could have easily been avoided.

Corpseball might be dead....but this is JM Era ineptitude with a capital 'I'

I will say this much. They have come back in the bottom of the first with some offense. Last year they would have given up and starting swinging for the solo HR.

I will say this much.  They have come back in the bottom of the first with some offense.  Last year they would have given up and starting swinging for the solo HR.

I am not saying this team will be as underachieving and lifeless as last years's; anyone can see that the attitude is better and this year's team wil go farther.

But I am just amazed how quickly lessons learned from last 3.5 years are forgotten because of 10 days worth of good, fundamentals-happy play. 5 bad defensive plays in 1 inning.

Ooops....Rowand just took a bad route to the ball. Ah, it doesn't matter anyway. As soon as Kong rolled over that 3-1 pitch and Sox only scord 1, the game was effectively lost.

Not biggie it's just one game. Hopefully, the team rebounds in the next 2 games.

I am not saying this team will be as underachieving and lifeless as last years's;  anyone can see that the attitude is better and this year's team will go farther.

See to me you just said it all. Corpseball was a mentality as far as I am concerned. It was that listless, noncaring, collect-my-paycheck-and-I-am-cool mentality. That is gone. THAT is what I am talking about.

I like that Sox brought short and level swings today. Sandy's just missed a 2-run double and Paulie's GIDP was really unfortunate, but other than that....if Sox make a habit of swinging like this, they will put some freakin' numbers up this season.

Salvaging today's game, although freakin' nice, is not important. Saving face ala Colon start against Detroit right after the ASG last season would provide some serious confidence boost.

Lee, on the other hand, should be f***ing benched. The guy can't get a strike over and this Sosa wannabe swings at pitch 1 neck-high with an 8-2 score.....Next at bat, he uppercut two outside pitches, one of them find a 2B's mitt for 3rd out with Maggs on base. Dumbass.

I like that Sox brought short and level swings today. Sandy's just missed a 2-run double and Paulie's GIDP was really unfortunate, but other than that....if Sox make a habit of swinging like this, they will put some freakin' numbers up this season. 

Salvaging today's game, although freakin' nice,  is not important.    Saving face ala Colon start against Detroit right after the ASG last season would provide some serious confidence boost.

Lee, on the other hand, should be f***ing benched.    The guy can't get a strike over and this Sosa wannabe swings at pitch 1 neck-high with an 8-2 score.....Next at bat, he uppercut two outside pitches, one of them find a 2B's mitt for 3rd out with Maggs on base.  Dumbass.

Pauly and Aaron have redeemed themselves. 8-1 to 8-7. This NEVER, NEVER happens in 2003.

Lee, on the other hand, should be f***ing benched. The guy can't get a strike over and this Sosa wannabe swings at pitch 1 neck-high with an 8-2 score.....Next at bat, he uppercut two outside pitches, one of them find a 2B's mitt for 3rd out with Maggs on base. Dumbass.

Made a fool of himself in yet another at bat. Had a cookie, got greedy and pulled it way foul. Then K'd......Contrast it with the way Posada aprroached his atbat,

Will this guy ever put it together?

Made a fool of himself in yet another at bat.  Had a cookie, got greedy and pulled it way foul. Then K'd......Contrast it with the way Posada aprroached his atbat,

Will this guy ever put it together?

Carlos is scuffling and over anxious because of it. Kinda like ARod is right now. I don't think it's a case of Lee being stupid or selfish, he's falling into a trap a lot of guys do. When they slump, they press. When they press, they slump more. He just needs to relax, and "see the ball, hit the ball".

Once again.  Last year if this team was down 7-0 or 8-1, would we make it any kind of a game?  hell no.

Corpseball is dead.

det.gif

(26-67)

RECAP

| BOX SCORE | GAME LOG

| GAMECAST

chw.gif

(45-50)

FINAL 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 R H E  
DETROIT 2 0 1 2 4 0 0 1 0 10 16 0 true.gif
CHI WHITE SOX 0 0 1 0 0 1 3 0 4 9 13 0

DETROIT TODAY SEASON
  AB R H RBI BB SO LOB AVG
A Sanchez CF 6 1 2 1 0 0 1 .266
W Morris 2B 6 3 3 2 0 0 1 .304
D Young LF 5 1 2 3 1 2 1 .285
K Witt DH 4 1 4 2 1 0 0 .285
A Torres PR-DH 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 .223
C Pena 1B 5 0 1 1 0 2 6 .244
C Monroe RF 4 0 1 1 1 1 1 .227
E Munson 3B 3 1 0 0 2 0 2 .233
A Hinch C 3 0 1 0 0 1 3 .207
M Walbeck PR-C 2 1 1 0 0 0 1 .161
R Santiago SS 5 1 1 0 0 2 3 .225
Totals 43 10 16 10 5 8 19  

<!-- BATTING, BASERUNNING & FEILDING (begin) -->

Batting

2B: W Morris (6, B Colon); C Pena (12, B Koch); A Sanchez (6, B Koch)

HR: D Young (19, 1st inning off B Colon 1 on, 1 Out)

RBI: D Young 3 (52), C Monroe (34), K Witt 2 (19), A Sanchez (12), W Morris 2 (13), C Pena (26)

2-out RBI: C Monroe, K Witt, A Sanchez, W Morris, D Young

Runners left in scoring position, 2 out- C Pena 2, M Walbeck 1, D Young 1, A Hinch 2, E Munson 1

Team LOB: 11

Baserunning

SB: A Torres (4, 2nd base off B Koch/M Olivo)

Fielding

DP: 1 (D Young-R Santiago-W Morris).

Outfield Assist: D Young (F Thomas at 2nd base).

CHWHITESOX TODAY SEASON
  AB R H RBI BB SO LOB AVG
T Graffanino SS 4 2 2 0 1 0 0 .255
R Alomar 2B 5 1 2 0 0 0 1 .250
F Thomas DH 5 0 1 0 0 1 3 .268
M Ordonez RF 5 0 1 1 0 1 3 .293
C Lee LF 5 1 1 3 0 0 2 .261
C Everett CF 4 2 2 1 0 0 0 .273
P Konerko 1B 4 0 1 0 1 0 2 .198
J Crede 3B 3 2 2 1 1 0 1 .230
M Olivo C 4 1 1 3 0 0 3 .221
Totals 39 9 13 9 3 2 15  

Batting

2B: J Crede (14, M Maroth)

HR: J Crede (9, 3rd inning off M Maroth 0 on, 0 Out); M Olivo (6, 7th inning off M Maroth 2 on, 1 Out); C Lee (15, 9th inning off C Mears 2 on, 2 Out); C Everett (19, 9th inning off C Mears 0 on, 2 Out)

RBI: J Crede (39), M Ordonez (54), M Olivo 3 (19), C Lee 3 (57), C Everett (53)

2-out RBI: C Lee, C Everett

Runners left in scoring position, 2 out- M Olivo 1, M Ordonez 1

Team LOB: 7

DETROIT TODAY SEASON
  IP H R ER BB SO HR PC-ST ERA
M Maroth (W, 5-13) 6 1/3 8 5 5 0 1 2 91-59 5.01
F Rodney 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 11-5 9.82
C Spurling 1 2/3 0 0 0 2 1 0 29-16 4.81
C Mears 1 4 4 4 0 0 2 17-13 3.18

CHWHITESOX TODAY SEASON
  IP H R ER BB SO HR PC-ST ERA
B Colon (L, 6-9) 3 2/3 7 5 5 4 3 1 104-58 4.36
D Sanders 1 5 4 4 1 0 0 40-24 6.14
R White 2 1/3 1 0 0 0 2 0 25-16 5.66
B Koch 2 3 1 1 0 3 0 39-28 5.58

WP - B Colon, B Koch

IBB - D Young (By B Colon)

HBP - C Everett (By M Maroth)

Batters faced - M Maroth 27; F Rodney 2; C Spurling 7; C Mears 7; B Colon 22; D Sanders 9; R White 8; B Koch 9

Ground Balls-Fly Balls - M Maroth 5-12; F Rodney 0-0; C Spurling 3-1; C Mears 1-2; B Colon 2-6; D Sanders 1-2; R White 5-0; B Koch 1-2

Umpires: HP - Ed Rapuano,  1B - Dan Iassogna,  2B - Mark Carlson,  3B - Gerry Davis

Time: 3:18

Att: 17,060

Weather: 72 degrees, overcast

Wind: 11 mph

Game Scores: M Maroth 38, B Colon 26 More

This one looks pretty simillar to last nights game :ph34r:

And we were down 9-1 after 5.

The 2003 squad would have lost this game, probably on a blooper off Koch.

The 2000 squad would have won 8-2, chasing Zambrano in the 4th.

Too many chances squandered, too many hitters went to plate only thinking of depositing a HR to LF corner. At one point, Zambrano was so bad, he wouldn't hit a farm let a lone a barn and yet after a walk/HBP, the next batter (Crede, Uribe, Olivo, Lee, whathaveyou) went down hacking at garbage.

No wins are "bad", but this is as close as it gets. Once again, playing down to the level of our opponents. No killer instinct. Contrast it with the way Minnesota, missing half their offense, is fighting for EVERT out, for every pitch......

Highlights: Thomas, Loaiza (two 0-2 mistakes notwithstanding), Rowand (2b, steal, just missed a 3-run HR off tough righty), Cotts and Shingo.