Wilderness Travel

Texsox

What is the farthest you have been away from a motorized vehicle?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What is the farthest you have been away from a motorized vehicle?

• <1 mile
    • 1 mile to 3 miles
    • 3.1 to 5 miles
    • 5.1 to 10 miles
    • >10 miles

I am planning a trip to Big Bend National Park and realized we would be travelling about 10 miles from the nearest road. That go me to thinking, most people spend their entire lives within a mile of a road or a car.

appalachain trail (sp?) is pretty great. That's one of a few things I like about PA. I grew up as a boy scout and really liked the outdoors. Hawk Mountain is right near where I'm from, but I'd love to make it to Yellowstone, big bend, etc.

That go me to thinking, most people spend their entire lives within a mile of a road or a car.

I'm sure there are plenty of outstanding American citizens who live hidden away from civilization. ;)

deliverance.jpg

The farthest I have been from a car would be during a vacation to Mexico. With my family we took a tour of the tropical rain forests in Puerto Vallarta. During the long excursion we had to be atleast 10 miles from the nearest car at the farthest point in the trip. Remember our tour guide had a CB radio with him incase of emergencies because there was no cell phone reception in the mountains.

Of course there has been an instance where I've been hundreds of miles away from the nearet car, but that was on a cruise. :D

I would say less then a mile cause if and when I bike ride or whatever it's usally near a road....But I diffentley need to go 10+ miles away from a roady one day, just for the hell of it.

On a boat of course I been 5+miles away from a road that's a different story but I doub't you meant on sea, ocean or whatever.