Rob Gallas

Dick Allen

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's not good for you, is good for others.

You're comments are a bit harsh.... don't ya think? You think Rob Gallas is SOLELY responsible for ALL things corney relating to the Sox..? C'mon Vince.. you aren't that niave?

I did not like gallas at all. Whether he was responsible or not doesn't matter, he had the title, grabbed the paycheck and pitched the slogans. I can't stand most of the commercials, I simply find them stupid or silly. I also find most of them in defensable. Plain and simple they didn't work, and time for a change. After 15 years its time to move on.

I don't mind Dog Day at all.  Like one of the people in this thread said, to each their own.

Behind the scenes, the Sox are very involved with the Anti Cruelty Society and also the service dogs for the blind organization, can't come up with the name.

Granted, I am an advocate of doing whatever can be done to help animals, so my view may be biased.

Their intent, as explained to me personally by Gallas a couple years ago, was to highlight the bond between Sox fans and their four legged friends, portray dogs as part of one's family, reach out to animal lovers, make some $$ for animal charities, get a few dogs adopted, and most importantly ... show kids how to properly treat animals.

I'm grateful they are supportive of dogs and animal charities.  In fact, I board my dog at the game a lot, at Pet Check, and they treat her like gold.

Seeing all the positive PR Dog Day gets, it's my hunch it's more popular than unpopular.

As for Gallas, anyone in any job for 15 years is likely ready for a change.  For his benefit, and for the job's benefit.

Jim,

many companies and organizations do alot for charitable organizations. I do not think if Gallas leaves that this type of behavior will stop, nor do I believe that you buy tickets because they are friendly to Dogs. the Sox do very good things. hell the owner of my company donates the most money to charitable organizations in the entire world, and quite frankly many people hate his guts.

Albert Belle, Frank Thomas and Robin Ventura and "secret-agent" crime fighters battling the evil Tim Kazurinsky. Bo Jackson played their driver and Jenny McCarthy was "the mysterious" girl.

In one spot, Robin Ventura was kidnapped, tied to a chair wired to explosives.

The villian exclaimed over the phone to Belle, in a bad Euro-trash accent: If Matt Karchner's fastball goes under 90mph...BOOOM!!"

:lol: :lol:

Man I wish I saw that mockerific mess! :headbang :headbang

So do you guys think this was a forced resignation or did Gallas just have enough?  He's been here for 15 years, attendance is horrid compared to the sCruBS so far (and this point was mentioned in several Chicagoland papers), Sox popularity as a whole is down.  If I'm JR, I'd force him out. 

He's head of marketing, which has been a huge failure.  He's head of broadcasting, which atleast on the radio has been a gaggle.  Good riddance.

The Tribune's media columnist in today's business section wrote this:

[Gallas's resignation] "comes after the White Sox had reached out for more marketing help this season with the hiring of pr giant Burson-Marsteller. Though team owner JR is know for his loyalty to his staffers, insiders said that low attendance the last several years may have prompted the change....The Sox didn't announce a replacement, though Reinsdorf's son Michael surfaced as a possible candidate. Michael Reinsdorf couldn't be reached Tuesday. He has been sitting in on marketing meetings in recent months but denied to the Tribune last month that he was thinking about working for the Sox.

Though Gallas was credited with things such as Elvis and Sleepover Nights, the Sox have not been known as the most fan-friendly team during his tenure. Allowing tailgating only on certain days, for example, did little to win over new fans."

In the Sun Times today, Telander writes that Gallas's statement that it was time for new challenges could be translated to mean "I can walk away now, or they will mail my head to me in a box."

Whatever. I'm delighted he's gone. I think he was awful at his job, and a jerk. Remember that he once wrote an overly nasty letter to a fan who had asked for an autographed ball. The letter made it into the papers. Generally not the attitude you're looking for from your pr guy. And I know he was a raging jerk to at least one of the people who worked for him, and she did not deserve it. The organ may sound better tonight.

I want to weigh in on this thread

When it came to promos and giveaways the guy was great. The Sox came up with more new ideas and got copycatted more than about any PR dept around. Dog Day, Elvis night, Beatles night, Country music night, Caribean night, Sleepover, Kids run the bases, Seniors run the bases, Pepsi half price nights, 7/9 game ticket plans, this years contenders ticket plan, Picnic in the park, $1 hotdog day, Turn back the clock games, and I am sure there is a ton of things I am forgetting. His group did more than its share of trying to get people to the park.

The problem was when it came the their media campaigns. They haven't had a good one in as long as I can remember. There were some horrible, horrible ideas. And the Sox have done an awful job of marketing their stars. Guys like Frank and Maggs should be way bigger than they ever were. Their secondary stars should be plastered all over Chicago as well. The NBA does it better than anyone. SELL YOUR STARS. That's why casual people go to games. Build those guys up to bigger than life status. People should be stopping the aisles everytime Maggs comes to bat.

And finally, in reality, the PR department of the Sox might as well have been run by Goebles as popular as our ownership group is in this town, over the last 10 years. Gallas's group had no control over the strike, and no control over the White Flag trade, and no control over guys like Ventura departing, and so on and so on. I am not sure if we would have had Bill Veeck himself runing the PR dept that we would have any better of a reputation in this town.

I want to weigh in on this thread

When it came to promos and giveaways the guy was great.  The Sox came up with more new ideas and got copycatted more than about any PR dept around.  Dog Day, Elvis night, Beatles night, Country music night, Caribean night, Sleepover, Kids run the bases, Seniors run the bases, Pepsi half price nights, 7/9 game ticket plans, this years contenders ticket plan, Picnic in the park, $1 hotdog day, Turn back the clock games, and I am sure there is a ton of things I am forgetting.  His group did more than its share of trying to get people to the park.

The problem was when it came the their media campaigns.  They haven't had a good one in as long as I can remember.  There were some horrible, horrible ideas.  And the Sox have done an awful job of marketing their stars.  Guys like Frank and Maggs should be way bigger than they ever were.  Their secondary stars should be plastered all over Chicago as well.  The NBA does it better than anyone.  SELL YOUR STARS.  That's why casual people go to games.  Build those guys up to bigger than life status.  People should be stopping the aisles everytime Maggs comes to bat.

And finally, in reality, the PR department of the Sox might as well have been run by Goebles as popular as our ownership group is in this town, over the last 10 years.  Gallas's group had no control over the strike, and no control over the White Flag trade, and no control over guys like Ventura departing, and so on and so on. I am not sure if we would have had Bill Veeck himself runing the PR dept that we would have any better of a reputation in this town.

Excellent post, I think you capture the entire situation very well.

I liked a lot of the promotions, not all, but their marketing plan and their ad plan did not go over well at all.

I can't stand most of the commercials, I simply find them stupid or silly

I like what they have now -- the one that "introduces" the players and accelerates to the music Dennis Miller Live occasionally used at the end....

Among the "cute" commericals.....I've been partial to the little girl chanting JOSE, JOSE, JOSE in what otherwise was a weak-minded ad.

Kids Can Play.... :puke

BTW.....when the WGN broadcast starts, they now have the intro similar to that of the Cubs, even though the one from 1999 (or was it 1998? I only caught september games) that showed Belle among others was rock-ier, more suitable to the spirit of this team

Gallas? Door slamming on the ass and all. Yawn.

To the new PR/Marketing Director.

I love Bobble Head Give Aways.

Bring On Carlos, Buehrle, Crede, Ozzie, etc.

I am ashamed that there are great lengths I will go to to attend a game on a bobble head day to get the day's give away.

I once entered the park twice to get Frank's. I had two tickets so that was legit.