The Continuing Decline & Fall of Mark Buehrle

C.Rector

Hopefully I'll be able to particpate is quality discussions with all of you while providing my own insight.

I'v read your work for years.

You will do what you hope to do - you are a quality poster and I am delighted you are here at soxtalk! :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All right, so I'm probably a little biased since Mark is my favorite player, but I'm going to have to agree with those who say that it's too early to be saying that Mark has consistently been getting worse each year. He's only pitched in three games this season. Judging Mark's overall performance so early in the season is like trying to pick players for the All Star Game now, it's premature...oh wait...

Everybody relax. Mark is still a good young pitcher with good control and even better make-up; his "decline" is basically him failing to make necessary adjustments in 2003 after the league adjusted to him, a delayed sophomore slump.

He is just not an ace. He might become one down the road, but don't depend on him to win games 1 and 4 against the Yankees in ALDS this year. If he breaks 3.50 barrier, I'll be pleasantly surpised.

This is a non-issue. If Sox don't make postseason (god help us all) in 2004, it won't be because of Mark, but most likely because of guys like Koch, Konerko, Crede, Harris, Wright, Rowand, Garland, Show and Olivo.

I agree that Mark can't be considered an ace, in the true sense of the word. I do believe the Buehrle will be a quality starter for a long time. He'll have years like 2003 and he'll have years where he performs like an ace. The majority of the time, he'll sit comfortably between the two. I can live with that for the next 7 to 8 years, if we keep him that long.

A lot of ppl forget that Mark is still very young for a starting pitcher in the majors, especially to be in the top two in the rotation. U don't get a pitcher under 25 much at all these days instantly becomin the team's ace (Mark Prior aside). I think in 10 years we'll be callin Buerhle a crafty veteran a lot like Tom Glavine. He may hav come in 2001 and won 19 games and thought baseball was pretty easy, but now he's learned that things don't go your way all the time. The Mark of 2004 has not looked like the early 2003 version of Mark Buerhle so I wouldn't worry yet. We're not out of the 1st month yet anyways.

All right, so I'm probably a little biased since Mark is my favorite player, but I'm going to have to agree with those who say that it's too early to be saying that Mark has consistently been getting worse each year.  He's only pitched in three games this season.  Judging Mark's overall performance so early in the season is like trying to pick players for the All Star Game now, it's premature...oh wait...

welcome to Soxtalk! :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers

All right, so I'm probably a little biased since Mark is my favorite player, but I'm going to have to agree with those who say that it's too early to be saying that Mark has consistently been getting worse each year.  He's only pitched in three games this season.  Judging Mark's overall performance so early in the season is like trying to pick players for the All Star Game now, it's premature...oh wait...

Wow I knew Soxtalk was getting big but the President of the US? :lol:

Welcome in!! :cheers

Wow I knew Soxtalk was getting big but the President of the US? :lol:

Welcome in!! :cheers

Thanks for the welcome guys! I'm excited to be here, you all seem like great people! Also, I was very excited to see that someone knew what my name meant, most people don't. So ten points to you, southsider. :) Unfortunately, I'm not the potus yet...I'm a Future POTUS actually. :D

Thanks for the welcome guys!  I'm excited to be here, you all seem like great people!  Also, I was very excited to see that someone knew what my name meant, most people don't.  So ten points to you, southsider. :)  Unfortunately, I'm not the potus yet...I'm a Future POTUS actually. :D

Too much Tom Clancy :)

If Politte didn't let inherited runners cross the plate, it would have been 3ER in 7 2/3 innings. I think that is much better than 8 runs in 2 innings, but what the hell do I know?

Yes, because Mark Buerhle would have easily retired Lugo, who hit a 96 mph inside fastball 400 feet into the wind...... :rolleyes:

Mark once again didn't pitch like an ace. How long before we realize that he is what he is -- a good #3, a solid #2 -- nothing more.

He has the potential to be what we want him to be, but right now, at 25, he is not there yet.

Buehrle's pitching against Tampa Bay was hardly any better than the previous game, so his decline and fall continues........

So 3 runs through 7 innings is a decline? I'll take those declining numbers then. Lugo's triple could have just as easily been an out if Rowand is about a foot closer, if that. Buerhle gave up 2 solo shots to Huff and Hall, and Crawford's run in the 1st was due to his baserunning. Rather than that, Buerhle looked good out there.

Buehrle's pitching against Tampa Bay was hardly any better than the previous game, so his decline and fall continues........

Ahem... :rolleyes:

C.Rector...it's a point you've brought up before. If you bring it up in June and MB is 4-6 4.60 or so, then your point will be considered. Until then, it will not, and it will be spit on and stepped on and you will have jabs thrown at you for bringing it up after Buehrle's FIRST and thus far ONLY bad outing all year, so get the f*** off the soap box.

...so, until June, don't bring it up. Mmmmkay?

Yes, because Mark Buerhle would have easily retired Lugo, who hit a 96 mph inside fastball 400 feet into the wind...... :rolleyes:

Mark once again didn't pitch like an ace. How long before we realize that he is what he is -- a good #3, a solid #2 -- nothing more.

He has the potential to be what we want him to be, but right now, at 25, he is not there yet.

Agreed. He may get there, but right now, he's not an ace.

Agreed.  He may get there, but right now, he's not an ace.

I think people got spoiled with his 2001 season. At 21-22, he wasn't supposed to be that good.

Alas, there is a reason why Unit, Kevin Brown, etc didn't win 20 games at 24-25.

Right now, Mark is not even close to being "there".