With or Without

LDF

rogers signing with us, does :huh:  anyone really have a concern for the cf'er position?

Yes. No holes on paper would be nice. Although I admire Rowand's work ethic and hard play, I still don't see him as being any better than a 4th OF'er. I hope he pleasantly surprises me in 2003..... especially if the WS sign Rogers.

I like Rowand a lot. The only guy I'd get thats out there is Beltran. Otherwise stick with Rowand and if all else goes wrong, get Borchard out there.

Sure its a whole on paper, but I like the ability of Rowand and Borchard. Not many talk about Rowand and ability, but the guy is a good player that does the little things very well.

The big reason I have some doubt, is that I've yet to see him prove anything over a full season.

I like Rowand a lot.  The only guy I'd get thats out there is Beltran.  Otherwise stick with Rowand and if all else goes wrong, get Borchard out there. 

Sure its a whole on paper, but I like the ability of Rowand and Borchard.  Not many talk about Rowand and ability, but the guy is a good player that does the little things very well.

The big reason I have some doubt, is that I've yet to see him prove anything over a full season.

i think that there is hole and i think that there may be several more and with the strong pitching, we need to look into getting help.

He's far from being one of the worse defensive centerfielders in the majors. Right now, I'd say he's middle of the pack. He doesn't have that blazing speed or an amazing arm, but he has good speed, gets pretty good jumps, and has a good arm for a centerfielder.

Heart wise he reminds me a lot of Erstad, although I can't say he will ever become the defensive player that Darin is. I could see him putting up similar numbers. Both are really scrappy players.

I could see Jimenez being scrappy...but then again, it depends on your definition of scrappy.

When I think of scrappy I think of a guy that just hustles his ass off all over and is agressive as well....I see them as a player who doesn't hit for much power, doesn't have all the talent in the world, but because he is agressive and he hustles, he puts up good numbers and kills the opposition. He is a pesty player....one that will break up the double play, whether it be hustling and beating out a throw or breaking up a throw by sliding or something like that....I see him getting clutch hits and making a lot of plays....Dustan Mohr for the Twins comes to mind, and Bobby Kielty to an extent(though he is more pest than scrappy...jeez I hate him)....Darin Erstad....guys like that.

Now this isn't saying that Crede doesn't hustle his ass off or play agressively....I just think he has a lot more talent than Rowand does...and I think probably everyone else here does as well.

I think Konerko is fundamentally sound...he does the right thing almost every time....whether it be hitting the ball to the right side with a runner on 2nd or hitting a sac fly or something like that....smart baseball, not stupid baseball.....that is the difference between CLee and Konerko....one is smart, one is not....I don't think I have to tell you who is who.

However...I could most definately see Jimenez being a scrappy player like that....though he does have quite a bit of talent.

Rowand is scrappy....we need that kind of player.  Who, besides Rowand, on the White Sox is scrappy?

Not only that, but he is a pretty good ballplayer too

I think that is an excellent point which I hadn't thought of and glad you did - we need a scrappy player or two and I'd rather have a scrappy guy who hustles his ass to make the play than a guy with more talent who non chalents stuff.

It didn't bother Oakland last year.  I'm mildly concerned though, because Rowand hasn't shown he'll do a lot with the bat yet.  We don't have much depth there either.  If Rowand can hit .280-15-70, I think that would be fine considering he'll bat 8 or 9.

If Rowand hits .280/15/70, I'll piss myself with joy. But I don't see it happening. Hell, I'd be happy with .250/15/50. My fear is he'll hit .235 with an OBP of .292, or something horrid like that. It was bad enough when Singleton was putting up those kind of numbers (albeit with less power) but he was much better defensively than Rowand. Then again, I don't think the numbers you suggested are entirely out of reach. I just doubt he'll be that good. I don't think there are more than a handful of CFs in the AL that put up numbers that good last year.

It didn't bother Oakland last year.  I'm mildly concerned though, because Rowand hasn't shown he'll do a lot with the bat yet.  We don't have much depth there either.  If Rowand can hit .280-15-70, I think that would be fine considering he'll bat 8 or 9.

If Rowand hits .280/15/70, I'll piss myself with joy. But I don't see it happening. Hell, I'd be happy with .250/15/50. My fear is he'll hit .235 with an OBP of .292, or something horrid like that. It was bad enough when Singleton was putting up those kind of numbers (albeit with less power) but he was much better defensively than Rowand. Then again, I don't think the numbers you suggested are entirely out of reach. I just doubt he'll be that good. I don't think there are more than a handful of CFs in the AL that put up numbers that good last year.

15 hrs?????????

i really doubt that.

He's always had decent power and if you ever catch White Sox BP, he hits a lot of them out of the park. Once in BP I saw him hit 5 or 6 HR's in a row (got 2 of those balls) :D

So i think 15 HR's is doable, its his average i'm worried about.

ok, i will go for that, but i am still not too sure.

It didn't bother Oakland last year.  I'm mildly concerned though, because Rowand hasn't shown he'll do a lot with the bat yet.  We don't have much depth there either.  If Rowand can hit .280-15-70, I think that would be fine considering he'll bat 8 or 9.

I don't see him doing that bad. I think at worse he'll put up the numbers you suggested with the .250 avg.

I think Rowand has a pretty live bat and now is about the time for him to break onto the scene. I'm not saying he'll be great, but to me a .280 avg with 20 hr's is possible for him in the future, most likely not this year.

Still, in September he hit like .299 with some power. The key for him is to draw walks and move guys over, if he's doing that, I'm confident that he'll be hitting just fine.

I read somewhere that once Rowand took over for Lofton, and started playing regularly, his average was a respectable .270 or so. His full season average was lower because he didn't hit as well as a part timer. So, anywhere in the .265-.275 range will be vey acceptable IMHO.

i dont know why we just dont stick borchard out there and let him start his career...adam dunn is a year younger than joe and is already heading into his 2nd full season...if he is the talent he is cracked up to be then its time to see it...we are so desperate for left handed power and this guy has plenty of it...another year in AAA isnt gonna get him any more ready for the bigs..its just means next year we will still have to watch him adjust to major league pitching

I was under the impression that it was unanimous within the Sox organization that Borchard simply was not ready. Even Borchard says so. Remember the discussions about Caruso earlier? We ruined him by bringing him up too soon. We let Crede sit in AAA until he was ready and I believe it will pay off big time. We let Maggs sit in AAA so long Ozzie Guillen was screaming about it. But it certainly paid off.

I was under the impression that it was unanimous within the Sox organization that Borchard simply was not ready.  Even Borchard says so.  Remember the discussions about Caruso earlier?  We ruined him by bringing him up too soon.  We let Crede sit in AAA until he was ready and I believe it will pay off big time.  We let Maggs sit in AAA so long Ozzie Guillen was screaming about it.  But it certainly paid off.

caruso hit 300 his rookie year...he wasnt rushed..he was ready...what ruined caruso was his head got so damn big he couldnt fit it inside comiskey , errr, us cellular ;) park anymore...his work ethic sucked...borchard is 24 years old now....next year he becomes officially "old " for a prospect...

plus we need him bad..3 through 9 is all right handed...its not like he would be replacing a veteran player..its just one question mark for another ...but joe will give us what rowand never will...left handed power...big time power

I was under the impression that it was unanimous within the Sox organization that Borchard simply was not ready.  Even Borchard says so.  Remember the discussions about Caruso earlier?  We ruined him by bringing him up too soon.  We let Crede sit in AAA until he was ready and I believe it will pay off big time.  We let Maggs sit in AAA so long Ozzie Guillen was screaming about it.  But it certainly paid off.

caruso hit 300 his rookie year...he wasnt rushed..he was ready...what ruined caruso was his head got so damn big he couldnt fit it inside comiskey , errr, us cellular ;) park anymore...his work ethic sucked...borchard is 24 years old now....next year he becomes officially "old " for a prospect...

plus we need him bad..3 through 9 is all right handed...its not like he would be replacing a veteran player..its just one question mark for another ...but joe will give us what rowand never will...left handed power...big time power

He'll only give that power if he's ready. That's all I'm saying. I want him up here hitting bombs from the left side too. But, if the holes in his swing are beach ball sized, he's not going to hit many, regardless of how much power he has.