CNNSI Power Rankings

CSF

CNN/SI Power Rankings

Power Rankings

Yankees-Red Sox makes for nice story, but it's no rivalry

Posted: Thursday April 22, 2004 11:30AM; Updated: Thursday April 22, 2004 11:37AM

OK, anybody else tired of all this fuss over the Red Sox-Yankees rivalry? The two teams played last weekend for the first time since the ALCS, and ESPN, FOX and every other sports outlet of note were all over it. I mean, People wouldn't have paid as much attention to the second coming of Princess Di.

Hey, I admit it. I watched. But rivalry? Excuse me, shouldn't that come with quotation marks? Call me simple-minded, but how's this a rivalry when one team has won 26 World Series since 1919 and the other has won diddly, nada, squat, zero, zilch?

Duke-North Carolina basketball, that's a rivalry. Michigan-Ohio State football. Heck, give me the Cubs and Cardinals in baseball. A rivalry implies an even competition. Red Sox-Yankees? Hey, I got a better one -- Wile E. Coyote vs. the Roadrunner.

Yeah, yeah, yeah -- I know all about how the fans, the players, the front offices, even the owners don't care for each other. So what? There wasn't any love lost between Custer and the Sioux either, but that didn't make Little Big Horn a rivalry.

Two words for you: media hype. And who can blame us? The Bambino in 1919, Joe DiMaggio in 1949, Bucky Dent in 1978, The Boss for the past 30 years -- the Sox and Yankees certainly share a fascinating history. So when they get together (only 15 more games this season, starting Friday), it's OK to get excited.

Just don't call it a rivalry.

MLB Power Rankings

Rank LW Team

1 11 Los Angeles Dodgers

Milton Bradley has 15 RBIs through the Dodgers' first 14 games. I just knew he was going to be trouble there.

2 1 Florida Marlins

Dontrelle Willis had hits in seven consecutive at-bats going back to last season before going 0-for-3 on Tuesday. That makes him a career .328 hitter (23 for 67), you know, just in case that pitching thing doesn't work out.

3 18 Minnesota Twins

They bought Terry Mulholland's contract from the Mariners for $1. He only pitched once during their six-game winning streak, but that was a scoreless 1 1/3 innings. "It's a dollar well spent," he said.

4 25 Baltimore Orioles

They're giving away a "dual bobblehead" of former manager Earl Weaver and Hall of Fame pitcher Jim Palmer in August. Incredibly, it will mimic Weaver and Palmer's legendary arguments, managing to bob up and down and sideways at the same time.

5 5 Houston Astros

After nine seasons in the American League, Andy Pettitte switched leagues and promptly hurt his valuable left elbow -- swinging a bat in the on-deck circle. Andy, the skinny end goes down.

6 10 Boston Red Sox

Mark Bellhorn has seven hits in 33 at-bats in their first 13 games -- and a major league-leading 17 walks. That's the patience of Job -- well, you know, if Job could have laid off that pitch in the dirt.

7 4 Cincinnati Reds

After a rainout last week in Philadelphia, relievers Todd Jones and Brian Reith were spotted in the hallway to the showers playing catch -- naked. Sean Casey took pictures with a digital camera. Next year's media guide should be something.

8 9 Chicago White Sox

Closer Billy Koch may have lost his consistency, but his sense of humor is still intact. Royals reliever Curtis Leskanic blew a ninth-inning lead last week, giving the Sox a 10-9 victory. Said Koch: "I appreciate that he pulled a Billy Koch and we were able to win."

9 21 Chicago Cubs

Todd Hollandsworth is batting .267 -- with an .867 slugging percentage. That's because three of his four hits (in 15 at-bats) this season have been home runs. Matching, by the way, his 2003 homer total ... in 228 at-bats.

10 3 Detroit Tigers

Reliever Danny Patterson wears braces and, because he suffers from migraine headaches, a mouth guard that prevents him from clenching his teeth. "I'm 33 years old," said Patterson, "and I still have braces and a lisp."

11 2 Oakland Athletics

A year ago, Jermaine Dye hit .172 with four home runs and 20 RBIs in 221 at-bats. So far this year in 60 at-bats, he's batting .300 with seven homers and 15 RBIs. And I took Bobby Higginson in my fantasy draft.

12 20 Atlanta Braves

Saw 45-year-old Julio Franco, the oldest player in the majors, get tagged out at third the other night when he failed to slide. Can't really blame him. The last words you want to hear from your first baseman are "I've fallen and I can't get up."

13 12 Pittsburgh Pirates

Raul Mondesi's $1.15 million salary is in escrow until a lawsuit against him in the Dominican Republic is settled. Former major leaguer Mario Guerrero says Mondesi owes him $640,000 for helping Mondesi improve his baseball skills. Mondesi says Guerrero didn't teach him anything. And Joe Torre will testify to that.

14 7 New York Yankees

Rivalry or no rivalry, the Boston and New York fans are a breed apart. Especially the guy at Fenway last weekend in the "Don Zimmer Had It Coming" T-shirt.

15 6 Anaheim Angels

They're billing themselves as "The A-Team." And right now, they're only a game out of first in the AL West. I love it when a plan comes together.

16 23 St. Louis Cardinals

Reggie Sanders is with his seventh team in seven seasons. The record of eight teams in eight seasons is held by the immortal Shorty Radford, who did it from 1885 to 1892. Well, he was immortal until 1945, anyway.

17 16 Texas Rangers

Mark Teixeira is on the DL with a strained oblique muscle in his left ribcage that could keep him out considerably longer than 15 days, reports the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. You have to wonder if Teixeira's a little delicate. Well, you don't have to. But you might. You know, if you wanted to. Freedom -- it's what makes this country great.

18 14 San Diego Padres

Right-hander Jason Szuminski, a first lieutenant in the Air Force, is the first active member of the armed forces to be on an Opening Day roster. That still doesn't excuse those awful camo unis, though. Sir!

19 19 Milwaukee Brewers

Ben Sheets, who rents a house from ex-teammate Richie Sexson, struck him out when they faced each other last week. "He's probably going to raise the rent," Sheets said. "But that's all right." Oh, yeah? "I'm kicking him out," Sexson said.

20 17 Colorado Rockies

Larry Walker, on the DL with a groin injury, was four-wheeling when he found a dead man on his Colorado property. Whoa. You know, some guys really are out indefinitely.

21 22 Tampa Bay Devil Rays

They have a reliever named Chad Gaudin. We thought his name was pronounced "Gow-din" but a Rays fan recently corrected us. It's "Goe-dan." Here's how we remember: Rhymes with Rodan. Man, that was a great flick.

22 8 San Francisco Giants

Barry Bonds' home run streak ended at seven games Wednesday night. But just so he didn't feel too strange, the Giants went and lost the game anyway.

23 13 New York Mets

They've played six one-run games and lost five of them, including consecutive 2-1 decisions to the Expos at Shea. That makes them 5-4 in their other games -- but 2-0 on Mondays, and 1-0 when the moon is full.

24 30 Philadelphia Phillies

That sound you hear is the clock ticking on Larry Bowa, a problem you never suffer with a nice Casio digital like mine.

25 29 Seattle Mariners

It's over for the M's. Since 1903 no team has lost its first four games and won the World Series. Seattle started 0-5 this season. Hey, I'm just the messenger.

26 15 Kansas City Royals

Garth Brooks worked out with the team this spring, and they're considering something similar with Kevin Costner next year. Oh, sure, it sounds like a lot of fun ... until some dude goes and brings up The Postman.

27 24 Cleveland Indians

Coco Crisp not only has a great name, but he appears to be channeling goofy Tigers legend Mark Fidrych. After dropping an easy fly in an Indians win against the Twins last week, Crisp said, "The ball didn't do its job. I did my job. The ball didn't do its job."

28 27 Montreal Expos

Sure, they've already endured an eight-game losing streak and are having megaproblems scoring. Could be a lot worse, though. Just ask Frank Robinson, who also was the skipper for the last 15 losses of the Orioles' record 0-21 start in 1988.

29 26 Toronto Blue Jays

Their 3-11 start is the worst in team history. You gotta think those hitters will snap out of it, but if not ... hey, anybody know Tim Johnson's whereabouts?

30 28 Arizona Diamondbacks

Casey Daigle needed just two innings to become the first pitcher to give up five home runs in his major league debut. His fiancée, Arizona softball star Jennie Finch, surrendered 12 home runs in 273 1/3 innings in her senior year. Gonna be some interesting pillow talk in that house.

Dan George is a senior producer for SI.com.

At least Koch doesn't have delusions that he's pitched well. I know I said I don't care much about power rankings, and I don't, the fact that we're seventh doesn't matter to me at all, but I do love reading the amusing quips to the right of each team, that's for sure.

Whoever write these power rankings has the most awesome sense of humor.

12 20 Atlanta Braves

Saw 45-year-old Julio Franco, the oldest player in the majors, get tagged out at third the other night when he failed to slide. Can't really blame him. The last words you want to hear from your first baseman are "I've fallen and I can't get up."

15 6 Anaheim Angels

They're billing themselves as "The A-Team." And right now, they're only a game out of first in the AL West. I love it when a plan comes together.