Gload

Heads22

As far as I'm concerned, the Big Skirt can stay on the DL as long as he wants to.  At least now that he's hurt he has a reason to cry.

Bulls***.

I've liked Gload since he hit 14 homers in 28 games for Cubs AAA affiliate a few years back, the guy can play a decent OF, can handle 3B if Crede doesn't snap out of it, etc.

But this is silly: right now he has shown he can hit a 1st pitch fastball and a mistake rolling curveball on a first pitch off a rookie scrub and velocity-losing Moose......What happens when the league adjusts to him, will be he have the smarts to adjust back and mental toughness to last a full ML season grind?

Didn't Craig Wilson hit .500 for the entire month 4-5 years ago? Where is he now?

Frank may be overestimating his own value, contract-wise.....but he is Sox' biggest draw, a HOF'er and once he starts punishing those hanging sliders and get me over fastballs that he let go by for strike 1 so many times this year, his OPS will jump to 900+ and Magglio will have a baserunner on for a change.

Bulls***.

I've liked Gload since he hit 14 homers in 28 games for Cubs AAA affiliate a few years back, the guy can play a decent OF, can handle 3B if Crede doesn't snap out of it, etc.

But this is silly: right now he has shown he can hit a 1st pitch fastball and a mistake rolling curveball on a first pitch off a rookie scrub and velocity-losing Moose......What happens when the league adjusts to him, will be he have the smarts to adjust back and mental toughness to last a full ML season grind?

Didn't Craig Wilson hit .500 for the entire month 4-5 years ago?    Where is he now?

Frank may be overestimating his own value, contract-wise.....but he is Sox' biggest draw, a HOF'er and once he starts punishing those hanging sliders and get me over fastballs that he let go by for strike 1 so many times this year, his OPS will jump to 900+ and Magglio will have a baserunner on for a change.

I agree that having Frank back helps our team. However, I wouldn't suggest Gload is a fluke because he capitalized on pitcher's mistakes. What makes you think he can't adjust? This guy can hit, and he's proved it over his years in the minors. The fact that he is doing it at this level only emphasizes what kind of hitter he is. He's legit.

I agree that having Frank back helps our team. However, I wouldn't suggest Gload is a fluke because he capitalized on pitcher's mistakes. What makes you think he can't adjust? This guy can hit, and he's proved it over his years in the minors. The fact that he is doing it at this level only emphasizes what kind of hitter he is. He's legit.

Did I say he was a fluke? I said he might a fluke, it's 50-50 -- unlike Frank who is the real deal.

And don't give the minor league numbers becuase:

1. They aren't THAT impressive out side of that 28-game stretch.

2. There is a HUGE difference between AAA and ML, and many, many, many talented hitters over the years couldn't hack it in the bigs.

There is DL trip or two in store for Frank, so let's see how Ross handles himself in all kinds of situations, against all kinds of pitchers.

Did I say he was a fluke? I said he might a fluke, it's 50-50 -- unlike Frank who is the real deal.

And don't give the minor league numbers becuase:

1.  They aren't THAT impressive out side of that 28-game stretch.

2.  There is a HUGE difference between AAA and ML, and many, many, many talented hitters over the years couldn't hack it in the bigs.

There is DL trip or two in store for Frank, so let's see how Ross handles himself in all kinds of situations, against all kinds of pitchers.

There is no reason to believe he's a fluke, he has had a great minor league career thus far, despite what you say, and has been playing very well for us. There is no need to bring your pessimism to the table over every issue. :rolleyes:

There is no reason to believe he's a fluke, he has had a great minor league career thus far, despite what you say, and has been playing very well for us. There is no need to bring your pessimism to the table over every issue. :rolleyes:

I am still pessimistic on Gload because of a few things. If he was soooo good, why did so many bad teams give up on him? And his major league numbers to this date, have left a lot to be desired.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=6560

Plus who knows how effective this kid will be playing once a week for the first time in his life.

I like the 3B idea... if crede decides not to come around.

If Hurt was alright, I would start platooning them now. Crede against all lefties. Gload against at least half righties.

Same as Aaron, Joe's time to strruggle was in 2002 and 2003. Now it's time to PRODUCE, so let the best man win.

I am still pessimistic on Gload because of a few things.  If he was soooo good, why did so many bad teams give up on him?  And his major league numbers to this date, have left a lot to be desired. 

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=6560

Plus who knows how effective this kid will be playing once a week for the first time in his life.

The reason he didn't do so well in the majors was because he was developing and only given sparatic at bats. The reason other clubs passed him up, being the Cubs and Rockies, was because they had other stud first basemen in front of him. There isn't a DH in NL obviously which adds to the difficulty in breaking into the majors. And another flaw with your reasoning is why should we give a s*** why he didn't pan out for other clubs. Uribe sucked at Colorado, but it doesn't seem to be affecting his great performance with us. Same scenerio with Gload. He's playing well with us, and that ultimately is the only thing that matters.

I am still pessimistic on Gload because of a few things

SS, that's not pessimism, but a little thing called "healthy scepticism grounded in baseball reality/history". Good on ya.

Then again, you're obvisouly rooting for him to fail, hater

I don't think Gload has played much, if any, 3B.

He throws left, very rare for a 3B to throw lefthanded.

He's played 1B and the corner OF positions in the minors.

The reason he didn't do so well in the majors was because he was developing and only given sparatic at bats. The reason other clubs passed him up, being the Cubs and Rockies, was because they had other stud first basemen in front of him. There isn't a DH in NL obviously which adds to the difficulty in breaking into the majors. And another flaw with your reasoning is why should we give a s*** why he didn't pan out for other clubs. Uribe sucked at Colorado, but it doesn't seem to be affecting his great performance with us. Same scenerio with Gload. He's playing well with us, and that ultimately is the only thing that matters.

You're half right on the great firstbaseman part. With the Cubs 2000 was Grace's last year in Chicago. If Gload was that good, he should have been able to beat out Matt Stairs, who hit .250 17 61 that year. And it hasn't been one or two years of floundering. This guy has bounced around plenty. By my count the Sox are his 5th organization (FL, CO, Cubs, NYM) He should have been able to catch on with someone who needed a first baseman.

Also my logic wasn't WHY he hasn't panned out. It is that he HASN'T panned out. Uribe is only so good of an example, because unlike Gload, Uribe HAS been starting as a major leaguer. He has a much more proven sample size to base his potential on. Gload has a whopping total of 79 at bats, 17 of them this year. It makes much more sense to expect more of a guy who has been playing at the ML level, versus someone who has about 80 AB's in the majors over a 5 season span of time.

Also before we go replacing a Hall of Famer with Gload, keep in mind the sample size it is being judged on. 17 at bats.

And finally who knows, I might be totally wrong. The kid might defy all of the odds and become a good major leaguer at the age of 28. I am just saying that history and odds would dictate otherwise.

I'm probably one of Gload's biggest fans. I love his short, quick swing and the fact that he can spray the ball to all parts of the field and has power to all parts of the field.

However, before we talk about him replacing Konerko or Thomas, lets just give him consistent at bats off the bench (While Frank is hurt is a start), but slide him in left on occassion, let him pinch hit, let him play against tough righties for Konerko at times. Then if he's still really raking the ball (I think its a possibility) the Sox can decide this offseason whether he can handle the job.

Defensively the guy is smooth on first. He's also a very good baserunner and has good speed for a second baseman. I'm pulling bigtime for Gloadie.

You're half right on the great firstbaseman part.  With the Cubs 2000 was Grace's last year in Chicago.  If Gload was that good, he should have been able to beat out Matt Stairs, who hit .250 17 61 that year.  And it hasn't been one or two years of floundering.  This guy has bounced around plenty.  By my count the Sox are his 5th organization (FL, CO, Cubs, NYM)  He should have been able to catch on with someone who needed a first baseman. 

Also my logic wasn't WHY he hasn't panned out.  It is that he HASN'T panned out.  Uribe is only so good of an example, because unlike Gload, Uribe HAS been starting as a major leaguer.  He has a much more proven sample size to base his potential on.  Gload has a whopping total of 79 at bats, 17 of them this year.  It makes much more sense to expect more of a guy who has been playing at the ML level, versus someone who has about 80 AB's in the majors over a 5 season span of time.

Also before we go replacing a Hall of Famer with Gload, keep in mind the sample size it is being judged on.  17 at bats.

And finally who knows, I might be totally wrong.  The kid might defy all of the odds and become a good major leaguer at the age of 28.  I am just saying that history and odds would dictate otherwise.

First of all, I never said he should replace Frank Thomas. Maybe PK down the line if his contract becomes a nuisance or a new deal can't be done. However, just because ball clubs haven't given him the at bats, doesn't mean he didn't do enough to earn a chance. He simply didn't get one. Now he is, and he is playing well. I think he can be a major league first baseman. Remember, KW has done a pretty good job seeing talent where others missed it. Maybe you're right, but I think the guy has done enough to prove he deserves a regular opportunity to play. At the very least, he is a pretty solid off the bench guy who can play multiple positions.

Height: 6-0

Weight:  185 lbs.

Bats:  Left

Throws: Left

Pos:  LF

Born: April 4, 1976, Brooklyn, NY, United States

Full Name: Ross Peter Gload

College: S Florida

Experience: 3 years

2004 Salary: $302,000

2000 is was with the Cubs and 2002 he was with the Rockies. My guess is he came here in that Sandy Alomar trade? I dunno what happened to 2001 and 2003 though..

Thanks Chief!!!