Pat Tillman, Killed in Action

Controlled Chaos

It's terrible that Tillman was killed, but this is kind of a good-bad thing. For those Americans that don't understand that these are real people with real lives over in Iraq and Afghanistan, it's kind of like a sudden 'whoosh', and just takes their breath away.

You don't know how much respect I have for this guy. Turning down $3.6 mill to defend your country...that's turning down being financially set for life to putting your life in danger(and sadly, he was killed). Me and probably around 99.5-99.9% of all the other Americans take the $3.6 mill. I'm not saying I wouldn't defend my country, but that if I had a choice between $3.6 mill and defending my country, I'd take the $3.6 mill.

RIP Pat. :usa :) :(

just curious as to why

It just would not have been what I believe in. No medical reasons, or anything legit like that, other than what I believe in my heart. I don't have enough room here for my explanations, or the time. I can't claim it on religion, due to not being overly religious. I guess it would come down to my belief in everything having a right to life. No matter how I look at things, and no matter how much certain events in the world hurt, I can't get past the belief that nobody is right. Does this make any sense?

I was 19 and on my way out the door to enlist in the Marines. My Dad is an ex-Marine (if there is such a creature) who always made sure everybody knew he was a Marine, and spent his life telling me to get my butt into the corp. Well, as i was on my way out the door, he pulled me aside, and we sat down and talked. I never joined because of him. A few months later the whole Desert Shield stuff started up.

I have no doubt that I could defend my family and do what I need to do, after all I have many years of Martial Arts training. But I really never felt like the US has ever been in any real danger. The danger we face is a danger that no military can actually stop.

Pat Tillman fought for a belief he had, and he has much respect from me for that, and so do the other people who serve in the military. I understand we need a military, but it just wasn't the path that my life was meant to take, and of that I am certain. Probably as certain as Pat was of the path he chose, he just made a greater sacrifice at an earlier time in his life than I might eventually.

Oh, and I will freely admit that when I was 19 I was a selfish jerk who had a lot to learn in life. At 33, I have learned quite a bit.

It's not a requirement for a potential soldier to be a U.S. citizen. There were several soldiers who were awarded citizenship posthumously during the Iraq war.

If I had anything to say about it then those guys who go to war for us would all get their citizenship automatically. Seems like the least we could do.

It is truly sad to see that Tillman was killed. I had the privlidge of watching Pat play in college as we both graduated from ASU, and I held season tickets. I actually had a class with him back in '95. It was amazing to see that he gave up his job w/the Cardinals and turned down a 3 yr 9 million dollar deal w/the Rams to join the Amry after 9/11. He was an inspiration, as I did the same, joining the military after the attacks.

It is very sad to see that he passed on.