Nathan Vasher

Position: Cornerback/Punt Returner

College: Texas

Height: 5-10

Weight: 177

Hometown: Texarkana, Texas

Analysis | Agility | High School | Personal

OVERVIEW

Speedy, versatile and explosive athlete who was one of the nation's top cornerbacks and punt returners … Began his career at cornerback and nickel back, moving to strong safety as a sophomore before shifting back to cornerback in his junior campaign … An All-American punt returner in 2001, he started 38 of 47 games during his career … Recorded 152 tackles (117 solos) with a pair of sacks for minus-9 yards and 15 stops for losses of 43 yards … Caused and recovered two fumbles … Holds the school career-record with 64 pass deflections, breaking the old mark of 57 by Quentin Jammer (1997-2001) … Intercepted 17 passes, tying Noble Doss (1939-41) as the school's record-holder … Returned 94 punts for 1,314 yards (14.0 avg) and a pair of touchdowns, breaking the previous Texas all-time record of 1,076 yards by Eric Metcalf (1985-88) … His 1,314 punt-return yards rank third in Big 12 Conference history … Added 58 yards on two kickoff returns (29.0 avg).

ANALYSIS

Positives: Has a lean, yet developed frame with solid muscles in the lower body and room to add more bulk (185-pound potential) … Has good deep coverage skills and, despite his size, delivers a strong hand punch to reroute receivers … Knows how to get on the receiver's hip and mirror the opponent through his pattern … Has a quick backpedal, staying in control while showing smoothness in his turn and run … Has the ability to squeeze the field and break on the ball in zone coverage … Makes a play on the ball with his body adjustments and hip flexibility … Has the range and catch-up speed to accelerate out of his breaks … Times the ball properly and will extend to catch it outside the body's frame … Aggressive player who will not hesitate to fill the rush lanes … Reliable tackler who will get into position before striking … Reliable punt returner who uses his burst to gain yards.

Negatives: While he shows aggression in run support, he lacks the size and strength to prevent blockers from riding him out and leveling him when working in the piles … Not always quick to make proper reads and locate the ball (might have a learning disability) … Can read the quarterback and receiver, but will still bite on play-action and misdirection … Has good leaping ability, but because of his size, he generally will get outjumped by the taller receivers … Has been effective intercepting the pass, but lacks natural hands (too small), resulting in potential thefts becoming pass breakups … Needs to play in a system where he can freelance and attack the ball (looks uncomfortable in a complicated defensive formation — see Senior Bowl performance).

AGILITY TESTS

4.48 in the 40-yard dash … 275-pound bench press … 405-pound squat … 256-pound power clean … 35½-inch vertical jump … 30 5/8-inch arm length … 8½-inch hands … Right-handed.

HIGH SCHOOL

Attended Texas (Texarkana, Texas) High, playing football for coach Barry Norton … Played wide receiver and cornerback … Earned first-team Texas 4A all-state (Texas Sportswriters Association) honors on offense and defense as a senior … Also named to the 1999 first-team all-state (Associated Press) squad as a cornerback … Posted 106 tackles, six interceptions, two sacks and three forced fumbles in 1999 … Added 52 receptions for 837 yards and 12 touchdowns … Ran for a touchdown and threw for another against Corsicana in the first round of the 1999 state playoffs … Lettered three seasons each in basketball and track, and played eight seasons of youth soccer … Honor Roll student.

PERSONAL

Liberal arts major … Very active in UT's community service program, serving as a mentor at local elementary schools and volunteers time at his local Boys Club … Nicknamed "ESPN3" … Cousin, Randy Garner, was a defensive end at Arkansas … Born Nathanael DeWayne Vasher on Nov. 17, 1981, in Wichita Falls, Texas … Resides in Texarkana, Texas.

Courtesy of NFLDraftScout.com, Powered by The Sports Xchange

Profile of Bears other 4th round pick (112) Leon Joe:

Prospect Profiles

Leon Joe

Position: Outside/Inside Linebacker

College: Maryland

Height: 5-11

Weight: 232

Hometown: Fort Washington, Md.

OVERVIEW

An athletic linebacker who was one of the most underrated players in the country the last few years … An outstanding sideline-to-sideline player from his "Will" (weakside) linebacker position, he was also Iron Terp (honor bestowed on top performers in the team's offseason conditioning program), who is the strongest linebacker on the team and posted the highest strength index ever by a Terp linebacker (785) in 2002 … He also owns the Terp record for bench press (475 pounds) and vertical jump (41 inches) by a linebacker … In 48 games, he recorded 322 tackles (200 solos) with three sacks for minus-23 yards, 22½ stops for losses of 61 yards, 25 quarterback pressures, a fumble recovery, a forced fumble, two interceptions and five pass deflections while starting his final 37 contests.

ANALYSIS

Positives: Has a compact, yet muscular frame with above-average quickness, body control and change-of-direction agility … Makes up for a lack of instant ball recognition skills with his physical ability … Shows the speed needed to reach the outside to take down ball carriers … Has a sudden burst and takes proper angles when closing … Has the lateral agility and leg drive to work around the piles … Has the speed to cover tight ends and ball carriers beyond the short area … Has adequate hip flexibility in his pass drops, showing the foot speed and agility to come out of his backpedal without gathering himself … Will look up crossers (receivers on crossing patterns) and shows quickness to react to the switch-off in the zone … Effective blitzer with the speed off the corner to outmaneuver blocker.

Negatives: Lacks ideal height … Late to react when asked to break down plays … Despite his awesome weight room power, it does not translate to the field (struggles to take on and shed blockers) … Shows marginal hand usage to maintain position on receivers in the short zone … Does a poor job of anticipating the receiver's routes, but compensates with quickness to recover … Can get past blockers, but lacks pass-rush moves in attempts to get to the quarterback (poor hand usage shows in his marginal ability to deliver good swim moves) … Tries to overpower blockers too much and rather than shed, he tries to use his forearm flipper to split double teams, resulting in rush lanes opening for the runner … Because of his lack of bulk, he gets washed out quite a bit vs. the larger blockers … Could possibly move to strong safety due to his quickness, but his inability to recognize routes could pose a big problem there.

AGILITY TESTS

4.43 in the 40-yard dash (indoor track) … 4.6 in the 40-yard dash (outdoors) … 475-pound bench press … 615-pound squat … 363-pound power clean … 41-inch vertical jump.

HIGH SCHOOL

Attended Friendly (Fort Washington, Md.) High, playing both outside and inside linebacker as a senior, recording 165 total tackles (88 solos) and 10 sacks … As a fullback, he averaged 10 yards per carry in limited attempts … Scored four touchdowns, including a 95-yarder in the state semifinals … Helped spearhead Friendly to the county's first Maryland state title in 10 years … FHS went 13-0, won the 3A state championship and finished the season with a final ranking of No. 3 by the Washington Post … All-Region selection by Super Prep and Prep Star … Rated the No. 3 linebacker in the state by recruiting analyst Tom Lemming entering his senior year … First-team all-county selection as a junior when he played strictly outside linebacker. Friendly went 10-2 and advanced to the state semi-finals … Also an outstanding sprinter on the track team.

PERSONAL

Criminal Justice major … Son of Leslie Bishop-Joe and Clarence Joe … Born Leon Maurice Joe on Oct. 26, 1981 … Resides in Fort Washington, Md.

Courtesy of NFLDraftScout.com, Powered by The Sports Xchange.

Profile of Bears 5th round pick (148) Craig Krenzel :banghead

Prospect Profiles

Craig Krenzel

Position: Quarterback

College: Ohio State

Height: 6-3

Weight: 227

Hometown: Sterling Heights, Ohio

OVERVIEW

An outstanding leader and winner in every sense of the word … Tough, smart and competitive … Completed his second year as the starting quarterback, boasting a 24-3 record as a starter … Completed 329 of 579 passes (56.8 percent) for 4,493 yards, 28 touchdowns and 21 interceptions in 35 games … His 4,493 yards rank eighth on the school's career-record list … Added 604 yards and six scores on 251 carries (2.4 avg.) … Amassed 5,097 yards in total offense, the ninth-best total in school annals.

ANALYSIS

Positives: Good field leader with average body tone and adequate muscle development … Will stand tall in the pocket and take a hit (not afraid to run with the ball) … Bright student who is very focused on the field … Shows quickness on the move and the ability to throw coming out of the pocket … Has an adequate set-up and release … Uses good judgement on his throws and will not force the ball into traffic … Has the short-area speed to pull the ball down and run with it.

Negatives: More of a camp player, who may have the size and speed of a pro quarterback, but lacks the intangibles to be considered more than backup material at the next level … Has good quickness, but looks to run more often than standing tall in the pocket (is not afraid to take a hit, though) … Not real fast getting the ball off, lacking the wrist flick to air it out … Very inconsistent on his short tosses, missing screens and curls often … Lacks timing on his deep throws (does not lead his receivers in stride) … Needs to do a better job of scanning the field to find his secondary targets (must use his hot reads better).

AGILITY TESTS

4.82 in the 40-yard dash … 320-pound bench press … 430-pound squat … 300-pound power clean … 31-inch vertical jump … 9-foot-6 broad jump … 4.04 in the 20-yard shuttle … 33 1/8-inch arm length … 8¾-inch hands … Ambidextrous.

HIGH SCHOOL

Attended Henry Ford II (Sterling Heights, Mich.) High, playing football for coach Terry Copacia … Completed 60 percent of his passes and threw for 1,760 yards and 20 touchdowns as a senior, earning USA Today honorable mention All-America accolades that year.

PERSONAL

Molecular Genetics major, earning national, conference and school academic honors … Son of Allen and Debbie Krenzel … Older brother, Brian, played football at Duke and is now in medical school at Louisville … Would like to attend medical school after his career is over at Ohio State (he and Brian would be the first two medical doctors in the family) … Spent this past summer (2003) doing medical research at the OSU Medical Center … Became engaged this past summer to Beth Barr, an OSU senior … Born July 1, 1981 … Resides in Sterling Heights, Mich.

Courtesy of NFLDraftScout.com, Powered by The Sports Xchange

I hope we find a way to nab Jarret Payton, I think besides the fact he's "34" son, he has alot of untapped potential. Hope we nab him.

I posted this in another thread yesterday, btu i will post it again. I think it applies.

For Jarret's sake I hope we DONT draft him. Now, I think he has some potential and I would LOVE to see him get a chance here in Chicago. But, you know the press here. They would have a FIELD DAY with the son of Walter coming to play for the Bears. It would be a Jarret lovefest and they would NEVER leave him alone.

Now, if the press WOULD leave him alone and he could develope for a year or 2, then I think he could have some potential. But, he is better off going to someplace that could care less if he was the son of Walter and they already have an established back.

Some of you want us to draft Payton. Tell me if this sounds familiar...

Well-built athlete with good size, strength, body control and change of direction agility ... Intelligent player who picks up the play book easily ... Shows good balance and body control running in-line ... Keeps his feet when making lateral cuts, showing the ability to pick and slide ... Has natural hands and ball skills, doing a nice job of reaching and plucking the pigskin away from the body's frame ...  Shows aggressiveness and good effort as a blocker and will not hesitate to face up to the larger defenders ... Secures the ball well before heading upfield ... Better inside runner than outside, displaying the vision and run instincts to spot the rush lanes... Shows good balance and strength when he gets behind his pads, getting yards on contact when he lowers himself before the initial hit (good leg drive).

ALFONSO MARSHALL

Position: CB

Class: Sr

School: Miami (FL)

Conference: Big East

Ht., Wt.: 5'11, 180

40 Time: 4.51

Grade: 3.1

BIO: Vital member of the Miami secondary used in nickel and dime packages since his sophomore campaign. Posted 29/2/9 as a senior after 20/1/6 the prior year.

POSITIVES: Good-sized corner with the ability to play in zone coverage. Displays a burst of closing speed and fast arriving on the scene. Runs well laterally, contorts and works to get a hand in to defend the throw.

NEGATIVES: Slow reacting to receivers off the line, not smooth in his hips and loses a half step in transition. Mentally hesitant, not quick tracking or locating the ball and does too much face guarding.

ANALYSIS: A secondary prospect better facing the quarterback, Marshall's role in the NFL could be similar to what it was in college. Has the abilities to fit in as a dime back, but must get stronger and improve his play against the run.

PROJECTION: Undrafted Free Agent

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/...y_school/m.html

2004 Bears Draft Grade: B+

Tommie Harris

Great pick. Angelos gets who he wanted all along, I didn't think Harris would be there when we picked, but it is who I wanted. Out theme this year was speed, and Harris is no exception. He will be out #1 DT this year after he makes Boone and our current DT's look bad, which they are.

Tank Johnson

I endorsed picking 2-DT's in a row. It was by far our weakest position and we made it very your and very fast. Thank runs a great 40 for his size. After only 18 sacks last year it was evident we needed to get to the QB more, and we will. I am pretty sure Haynes/Harris/Tank/Brown makes the fastest DLine in football. Not many people knew about Tank, but after reading a lot about him I think he will be great. No to mention he is named Tank.

Bernard Berrian

This guy can flat out run. He was a great reciever at Fresno before he got hurt. He says he is 100% better and if he is watch out. This guy can be a playmaker. The Bears have never really had a great deep threat and I think this guy can be one. After losing Dez White, which was a good thing, the Bears needed another reciever.

Nathan Vasher

Two words: hell yes. I really really really wanted this guy in the 3rd, but no we get him in the 4th!!! I was so happy when we got him at 110. This guy was a great corner in a great conference. His numbers were down his senior year, but that's because teams with throw away from him. They can't do that if he lines up with Peanut Tillman. He was also one of the better punt returners in the nation, so I think RW may be out of a job if he doesn't restructure.

Leon Joe

A lot of people feel he was a reach in the 4th round, and he may have been, but that doesn't mean he can't be a good player. As I mentiond earlier, this years theme was speed. Joe is extremely fast, and I think he may be starting OLB before the season is over. This fills a hold, because I personally don't think Joe Odom will cut it. I may be totally wrong on this guy, but I believe he can be a good player.

Claude Harriott

While it is still way to early to write off Haynes, and Alex Brown has been solid, you can't have too many pass rushers. This guy is very quick. While at Pitt he collected 13.5 sacks, and 35 tackles for losses. Do I expect him to come in and make a huge impact as a rookie? No. Do I think he was a good experimental pick, who could potenially be a 5th round steal? Yes.

Craig Krenzel

:unsure: This is the only pick in this draft that really had me baffled. I doubt Krenzel would have been drafted, let alone in the 5th round! I have no problem with him being on the team, but as a 5th round pick? I am not so sure. Sure he is a smart guy, who knows how to win, but there were so many more guys with better arms. But hey, not every pick is gonna be great, and maybe this guy can suprise a lot of people. No one thought Tom Brady would be anything coming out of Michigan.

Alfonso Marshall

Even thought Vasher was already picked in the 4th round, CB is another need of the Bears. He could be a good special teams coverage man. Pretty solid pick for the 7th round.

Wow I can't believe the beating Craig Krenzel is taking in this thread --

Think ---

the bears are installing a new offense --- An offense that isn't really predicated on throwing the deep ball -- it more of a short/quick/timing passing game --

Krezel has done nothing but win -- I'll take him -- he's slotted to be #3 this year, and I would feel completely comfortable with him stepping in to run the offense in an emergency -- He can make the short quick throws -- Is a big guy who moves surprisingly well -- Remember somebody had to be getting Mike Jenkins the ball --

In the rare event that the guy does have to start, or be put in late in a game -- He's very well experienced, and can win close game, can execute the 2 minute drill (Kordell Stewart anyone? :puke ) -- The Bears won 13 games in 01 because they kept it close, didn't make mistakes and ran the 2 minute drill well --

Ohio State won a National Titile with Krenzel at the helm using the same philosophy.

This kid has the exact same grade coming out of college that Tom Brady did. Brady was a game manager, threw the short paasses, and "didn't have the arm" that slipped him down to the 6th round -- I'll take 'em

And for all of you bowing to Angelo's "reaches" because of the draft he had last year -- does anyone remember the 2002 draft? How soon we forget? Ro Williams in the second round . He's been productive for us right? :puke Getting Alex Brown in the fourth was more about him slipping because of off-field issues and nobody wanted to deal with them, ala Randy Moss. Brown was considered a late first/early second round talent.

Wow I can't believe the beating Craig Krenzel is taking in this thread --

Think ---

the bears are installing a new offense --- An offense that isn't really predicated on throwing the deep ball -- it more of a short/quick/timing passing game --

Krezel has done nothing but win -- I'll take him -- he's slotted to be #3 this year, and I would feel completely comfortable with him stepping in to run the offense in an emergency -- He can make the short quick throws -- Is a big guy  who moves surprisingly well -- Remember somebody had to be getting Mike Jenkins the ball --

In the rare event that the guy does have to start, or be put in late in a game -- He's very well experienced, and can win close game, can execute the 2 minute drill (Kordell Stewart anyone? :puke ) -- The Bears won 13 games in 01 because they kept it close, didn't make mistakes and ran the 2 minute drill well --

Ohio State won a National Titile with Krenzel at the helm using the same philosophy.

This kid has the exact same grade coming out of college that Tom Brady did.  Brady was a game manager, threw the short paasses, and "didn't have the arm" that slipped him down to the 6th round --  I'll take 'em

And for all of you bowing to Angelo's "reaches" because of the draft he had last year -- does anyone remember the 2002 draft? How soon we forget? Ro Williams in the second round . He's been productive for us right? :puke Getting Alex Brown in the fourth was more about him slipping because of off-field issues and nobody wanted to deal with them, ala Randy Moss.  Brown was considered a late first/early second round talent.

i have to agree with cheat. in the very least i think the pick of krenzel is acceptable. i'm more worried about having quinn as our secondstringer... :bang