Felix Diaz today...

Cali

Why?  The guy is a train wreck and is just looking to implode...not that he hasn't already.

why u ask. i thought danny had a quality start yesterday, i believe that only 2 of the four runs were earned. If we woulda had any sort of offense other then frank yesterday danny would've got the W.

EDIT: it was 3 earned runs my bad

I think Danny hasn't warranted being pulled from the 5th starter spot yet. He's the number 5, number 5's should just be able to keep you in the game, he's done that.

Felix and Neal are gonna get their chances, let Danny show what he's got, and if not, send him to the pen, because he could be a real solid reliever.

He's the number 5, number 5's should just be able to keep you in the game

No, that stupid cliche refers to #5 pitchers from teams that either have no shot at the postseason or are so dominant in other areas that #5 production is a nice bonus.

The problem is, we aren't Red Sox, so, much like in 2003, getting a 4.60 ERA as opposed to a 5.60 one out of the 5th spot may very well be the difference between playing in ALDS and.....NOT.

So far Wrong has an ERA of over 6.00. Not good either way.

I don't think Diaz is the answer either for now, so it's either Wrong or G-Cotts, so pick your poison.

Diaz is the only pitcher deservin really of a promotion from Charlotte rite now. Rauch is strugglin, Grilli had a good 1st outing but hasn't pitched as well since. I still don't know if Diaz is a starter long term though, he could be like Adkins in the pen.

Rauch isn't dominating, but I would say he is far from struggling......

Charlotte INTERNATIONAL LEAGUE (2004)

DATE G# OPP H/R DEC GS GF CG IP AB TBF H R ER HR BB SO WP BK

04/08/04 COL R W 1 5.2 21 22 6 1 1 1 1 3

04/13/04 TOL R W 1 6.0 22 23 3 2 2 1 1 4

04/18/04 TOL H L 1 6.0 24 25 6 5 5 1 1 5

04/24/04 NOR R L 1 6.0 22 25 5 3 3 2 1 5

W- L- S ERA GP IP H AB AVG TBF R ER HR BB SO WP BK

TOTALS 2- 2- 0 4.18 4 23.2 20 89 .225 95 11 11 5 4 17

The #5 spot and Danny Wright are issues that can be seen both ways at this time. I can't disagree with those who feel the frustration of Danny's lack of success. I don't think 5 innings is what we should expect from anybody in the #5 spot pitching wise. We should expect at least 10-12 wins from the #5 starter and Danny is 0-10 as a starter over last season and so far this season. However, I attribute his lack of success last season to the arm injury. He didn't do too badly in that last start on Saturday. He will get more chances, but if we don't see some wins pretty soon than I am all for a change. Cotts, Rausch or Diaz. I think Cotts deserves the chance to start and Rausch gets called up for bullpen duty. Kelly Wunsch just might get traded although I like him a lot. He can go one inning with the best of the lefty relievers.

As an old time fence rider I knew once said, "I feel strongly both ways about this issue."

Rauch isn't dominating, but I would say he is far from struggling......

Charlotte      INTERNATIONAL LEAGUE  (2004)

DATE      G#  OPP  H/R DEC GS GF CG    IP AB  TBF H R ER HR  BB  SO WP BK

04/08/04      COL R W 1      5.2 21 22 6 1    1  1 1 3     

04/13/04      TOL R W 1      6.0 22 23 3 2    2  1 1 4     

04/18/04      TOL H L 1      6.0 24 25 6 5    5  1 1 5     

04/24/04      NOR R L 1      6.0 22 25 5 3    3  2 1 5     

W- L- S ERA GP    IP H AB AVG  TBF R  ER HR  BB  SO WP BK

TOTALS    2- 2- 0  4.18  4  23.2  20 89  .225 95  11  11  5 4  17     

His K and BB ratios are good so far, he's just givin up a lot of runs still at AAA level. His last 2 outings haven't been that good, but it's still only early. Hopefully he can still put it all together, but I think in a lot of ppl's eyes Diaz has passed him as the man most likely to be called up so far.