Heads Reading List

Heads22

In my AP Lit class we read four books this year: A Farewell to Arms; Crime and Punishment; Cry, the Beloved Country; and Jane Eyre. Have any of you guys read any of these books, and if so, what are your thoughts. When school ends May 27, I hope to finish Life of Reilly, by Rick Reilly from SI. If I were going to recommend any of the five books, it'd be that one. :)

"All Quiet on the Western Front" by Erich Maria Remarque is the last book I'll be reading for awhile. It's the book I chose to give an hour-long presentation and write a paper on for my Senior AP English class. I have had to dissect this book in and out 50,000,000 times; I can't wait until May 6. My year will be basically be over, and then I just get to enjoy what is left of my senior year.

Yeah...We've been doing a lot of in-class writings, where we only had 45 minutes to write an essay on a certain book we just read etc.....Our exam is next Monday, that's going to be interesting. I hope I do well on that because I want to take the least amount of English I can at IU.

Haha I hate reading more than anything in the world. Last book I read was Anne Frank (I think that was her name) and that was like a year ago. Can't stand reading. It's a shame cause I have to take these ISAT test this week (only for Juniors) and I gotta read alot... :(

Wow...another school in Indiana w/ the IB. There's not many of us. My HS is the only one in Fort Wayne w/ the IB program. It's garbage though; I'm just getting certificates in IB for Math and Spanish. There's no way I wanted to spend my final two years obsessing over everything to get the full IB diploma.

Wow...another school in Indiana w/ the IB.  There's not many of us.  My HS is the only one in Fort Wayne w/ the IB program.  It's garbage though; I'm just getting certificates in IB for Math and Spanish.  There's no way I wanted to spend my final two years obsessing over everything to get the full IB diploma.

You go to Southside, right? Sorry, I can't remember...

I subbed in all the FWCS high schools at one time or another and a couple of the middle schools. What middle school did you go to?

What the heck's IB?

As of right now, I still have a 4.0, and it looks like I should end the year with it.....I scored high enough on my PSAT's that I'm one of the 50 gazillion under consideration for National Merit Scholar, and I will be beyond happy with a 3 on the AP test, as I think mult. choice will really bring me down. On practice writing questions I have been getting 7's which I am happy with. If all that stuff happens, I've had a good year. :)

You go to Southside, right?  Sorry, I can't remember...

I subbed in all the FWCS high schools at one time or another and a couple of the middle schools.  What middle school did you go to?

Yep...I'm at SS...I went to Memorial Park Middle School. I've been in the magnet program since kindergarten.

In my AP Lit class we read four books this year: A Farewell to Arms; Crime and Punishment; Cry, the Beloved Country; and Jane Eyre. Have any of you guys read any of these books, and if so, what are your thoughts. When school ends May 27, I hope to finish Life of Reilly, by Rick Reilly from SI. If I were going to recommend any of the five books, it'd be that one. :)

I read Cry, the Beloved Country back in HS and I thought it was outstanding. The description of a land "beautiful beyond the singing of it" from the introductory pages of the book has stuck with me ever since. Reading the book in a post-Apartheid world it may lose some of its urgency, but I very much liked the book.

The other books I liked from HS lit classes were Matamorphosis, ADITLO Ivan Denisovitch, 1984, Catcher in the Rye (which I had already read twice in grade school but still loved), Camus' the Stranger... that's about all that really stuck with me from the assigned novels.

International Baccalauriete (sp?) Program.  It is like AP, but there's community service and internship time to do for it too.  I've had a few IBs from the local schools come in and do summer internships for me.

I know sum1 from down here who did that last year, they're studyin in China rite now. Could hav been an option for me, probably should hav if I'd actually read up on it, then I could hav studied ova in America. Hopefully I can still do that next year. Anyways for books, I read TKAM 4 years ago and had to do it for English. Think my essay question was sumthin on the line of the morals Atticus Finch teachin his children or sumthin. My fav. book that I did in English was prob The Great Gatsby, that was quite easy to do. Boy I feel sorry for Greasy though, an hour's oral presentation!? Man, last year I only had to do 1 for 5 minutes on Othello. :o

I know sum1 from down here who did that last year, they're studyin in China rite now. Could hav been an option for me, probably should hav if I'd actually read up on it, then I could hav studied ova in America. Hopefully I can still do that next year. Anyways for books, I read TKAM 4 years ago and had to do it for English. Think my essay question was sumthin on the line of the morals Atticus Finch teachin his children or sumthin. My fav. book that I did in English was prob The Great Gatsby, that was quite easy to do. Boy I feel sorry for Greasy though, an hour's oral presentation!? Man, last year I only had to do 1 for 5 minutes on Othello.  :o

Now that my memory has been jogged, I recall I had to read Gatsby and Mockingbird as well. I liked Gatsby well enough, and didn't appreciate Mockingbird as much as I should have until I saw the film for the first time a few years later. Great film.

The last 3 books I've read:

( I read mostly biographies lately - I really enjoy them )

Sex, Lies and Headlocks - the bio of Vincent Kennedy McMahon - a very VERY interesting look into the backstage world of pro wrestling and the McMahon family. If you're into rasslin' at all, this is a must-read

I Had A Hammer - the bio of Hank Aaron - starts off a little slow, but picks up steam about 1/3 of the way in - overall, an interesting read and sheds a lot of light on why Hank seems aloof and angry to the outside world

I Ain't Got Time To Bleed - the bio of Jesse Ventura - I've been skipping and skimming through this one - not as interesting as I had hoped - kinda spotty and boring at times

I read about 3-4 books a week.

Really?

I read 3-4 (ok, it's probably closer to 30-40) books in my entire lifetime.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sox fans are probably bigger readers than Cub fans, which is ironic if you think about it.

Really?

I read 3-4 (ok, it's probably closer to 30-40) books in my entire lifetime.

I have this thing where I read for about 30 mins to an hour before going to sleep. It helps me to sleep better. Plus I read on my lunch hour, that is if I am not posting here. :lol: