4/27 games

MnSoxFan

Munoz loses no-hitter in the 8th inning.  Hit a batter, then walked one and gave up a ground ball through the left side of the infield, allowing a run.  9-1 Barons after 8.  Munoz ran out of gas, but one hell of an outing.

any line on the K's and BB's?

Goin to be hard for Munoz to get into Charlotte startin though, with Diaz, Rauch, Stewart, Kohleimer and Grilli all up there. Plus they got Pacheco in the bullpen as well. Still Munoz is certainly impressin in Birmingham so far.

I'm not sure what is going on with Bullard. The other day it looked like he was back throwing 3/4 rather than from the side or lower. I wonder if he is abandoning the Wunsch-style?

As far as Bull goes, I throw out the spot start he made. He may not agree, but I'll chalk that up as taking one for the team. He hurt himself last night with an error that cost him two runs.

I was not suggesting Bullard be the one sent down, Keller has not shown much and seems like there are another one or two, but Espinal is already 28 and seems to be dominating High A.

I didn't take it that way. Just not sure what is up with the arm angle.

Nice article on Arnie's good game

Munoz flirts with no-hitter

Wednesday, April 28, 2004

DAVID BRANDT

For The Birmingham News

JACKSON, Tenn. - Birmingham Barons left-hander Arnie Munoz took a no-hitter into the eighth inning against the West Tenn Diamond Jaxx before catcher Geovany Soto snuck a single past third baseman Rob Sasser's glove to spoil a spot in the record books.

As it was, the Barons (10-8) easily handed the Diamond Jaxx an 11-4 Southern League loss in the first game of a four-game series Tuesday night at Pringles Park.

After Munoz's stellar outing, count Birmingham manager Razor Shines as one of the left-hander's fans.

"Phenomenal," Shines said. "That's the best performance I've seen this year by anybody." After hitting a batter to start the eighth inning, Shines thought about taking Munoz out of the game.

"He was getting tired. That's the latest he's ever been in a game," Shines said. "But I owed it to a kid like that who busts it for me every day.

"Everybody dreams of being able to do something like that and he had a chance."

Birmingham gave Munoz five runs to work with in the top of the first inning against the Diamond Jaxx.

In only the fourth start of his career after nearly 200 relief appearances, Munoz looked sharp before tiring in the eighth inning. His velocity fell a bit in the eighth and he started missing the strike zone with regularity, and then Soto's single made sure history wasn't made.

"It's hard to explain the feeling when you go out there with a no-hitter late," Munoz said. "I was trying to be a little too fine with my pitches.

"I just left the ball over the plate a little bit and he (Soto) got it."

After taking the early lead, the Barons kept pouring it on. Six Barons pounded out two hits, and the Birmingham offense finished with 14 hits.

The Barons chased Jaxx starter Renyel Pinto (1-2) early with six earned runs in three innings.

"You have to tip your hat to a performance like that," Jaxx manager Bobby Dickerson said. "He's one of the better pitchers in the league and he was locating his fastball well tonight."

With the win, the Barons end a two-game losing skid, and second baseman Ruddy Yan extended his hitting streak to 12 games.

The Barons send right-hander Tetsu Yofu to the hill to face West Tenn's Chadd Blasko in an 11:05 a.m. start time today.