Gmail

southsider2k5

Huh?

Google is setting up a free email service ala hotmail, or anything else out there. The thing that caught my eye right off of the bat is that they are offering 1000 MB of storage space compared to the 2 that hotmail offers. They are in the testing stages of it right now. FWIW anyone who has a Blog, they are offering the chance to sign up as a GMail beta tester.

Google is setting up a free email service ala hotmail, or anything else out there.  The thing that caught my eye right off of the bat is that they are offering 1000 MB of storage space compared to the 2 that hotmail offers.  They are in the testing stages of it right now.  FWIW anyone who has a Blog, they are offering the chance to sign up as a GMail beta tester.

Oh. Thanks. I didn't know that. Their IPO is gonna be huge, though.

Well it has been almost a week with Gmail, and so far I love it. One of the cool features with it, is that it bunches conversations together with tabs at the top, so that they can either show all of the emails in the exchange, or just the last one.

Basically I am ready to let my hotmail account lapse.

What does everyone else think now after a little time has elapsed?

Have they cleared up some of the privacy concerns like

Scanning all emails so you can have the correct ads displayed

Emails will never really be deleted

Why the fuss over a free email service? In developing GMail, Google leveraged its expertise from the search engine business in two ways. First, Google will encourage users to leave all their email on its servers indefinitely and provide powerful search features to help users quickly find old messages. Second, like the Google search engine itself, GMail will feature targeted text advertising. The system will use the content of users' emails as a guide to choosing ads to display alongside each message. If you exchange emails with a friend about an upcoming trip to the Bahamas, GMail might display ads for airlines and hotels that offer service there. Not only does this increase ad revenue for Google, but it can improve the user experience, too. Advertisements are more likely to be for products the user is actually interested in.

link to full article quoted above

• 1 month later...
If anyone is interested and hasn't been able to get an invite, I have 3 invites available for gmail right now.  If someone wants to bribe me... ;)

what will ten bucks get me... ;)

edit: and add some lint to that... :headbang

Edited by Goldmember

If anyone is interested and hasn't been able to get an invite, I have 3 invites available for gmail right now.  If someone wants to bribe me... ;)

I'm interested Southsider if u've still got an invite available. No Fosters to bribe u with though. ;)